Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
Question - where did you get that large Porsche logo on the red wall of your shop? I would love to have something like that in my garage. Was t custom fabricated?
Here is the vector file (.svg extension) that you can print any size you want. Open it with Inkscape or Illustrator then export to tiff for print shop.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kT...kGY7PzMLeUTI48
You can even print on aluminum surface for metallic look.
Have fun
Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Jacko007
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Thank you for the advice guys, ill keep you updated as i find out more.
what ended up being your issue?

mine just did same thing. Short block they figure. 60,000 km. Owned 1 year. 70,000 paid (Canadian). Was CPO until last July 30 2018...
bith fans replaced, high pressure fuel pump, brakes rotors and pads, cooling lines, all under CPO. Every time it went into dealership for these breakdowns I kept saying there was a burning smell and exhaust from bank 1 is visible (left exhaust port) ..... service advisor never documented me telling them this 5 times. So worried the “tick” I heard from engine was bad seeing how the above items broke.
Now I start up for a 1 st spring drive and this... so unhappy... 2009 4S.... always in shop. Bought from a Porsche dealer for “peace of mind”. No way a car like this should break down like this at 60,000 km.... mileage warranties are a joke as no one here drives them except summer so never hit it anyway. Dealer said maybe Porsche “goodwill” program will cover some.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,767 Likes on 4,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacko007

mine just did same thing. Short block they figure. 60,000 km. Owned 1 year. 70,000 paid (Canadian). Was CPO until last July 30 2018...
bith fans replaced, high pressure fuel pump, brakes rotors and pads, cooling lines, all under CPO. Every time it went into dealership for these breakdowns I kept saying there was a burning smell and exhaust from bank 1 is visible (left exhaust port) ..... service advisor never documented me telling them this 5 times. So worried the “tick” I heard from engine was bad seeing how the above items broke.
Now I start up for a 1 st spring drive and this... so unhappy... 2009 4S.... always in shop. Bought from a Porsche dealer for “peace of mind”. No way a car like this should break down like this at 60,000 km.... mileage warranties are a joke as no one here drives them except summer so never hit it anyway. Dealer said maybe Porsche “goodwill” program will cover some.
Man, that stinks. Another .2. How did they end up confirming it was cylinder scoring, and which #?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacko007

That does stink! If I continued to bring the issue up under warranty and they did nothing I would continue to push the issue. They should have at least documented it or checked it out.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

FWIW....my -09 C4S was the most problematic of the three 997's I've had. PDK....full replacement, covered by extended warranty. Water pump gave up without warning and trashed the serpentine belt along with it. Stranded me on the roadside but also covered by the same extended warranty. Few other items but nothing big. The car also burned more oil than any of the others. About a quart every 1,200 miles as I recall it.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Still waiting on my back ordered DI40 oil

EDIT:::: A RL'str. here has PM'd me and indirectly threatened to sue me for sharing this photo that I found funny in a group on FB and just shared it here!! Evidently he or someone made this MeMe and he got butt hurt that it was shared without credit given to him. There's no way to tell who took it, made it, shared it on FB, etc. He's still not admitted to it being his car or his orig. pic. or that he made the Meme. He just likes to threaten people for some reason!!

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
ohmyggg (01-28-2022), RandyVW (07-19-2024)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Sorry, we are still waiting for Driven to ship so we can fill all our DI40 and other backorders. Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:42 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Sorry, we are still waiting for Driven to ship so we can fill all our DI40 and other backorders. Thanks for your patience.
I'd be interested to know, seriously, if there isn't a single other oil in the world that is available and likely never on backorder, that you'd be comfortable recommending. Any of the other oils which are SN plus rated because they are formulated to address LSPI, whether A40 or not?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd be surprised if he, will recommend any other brand outside of his own. Wouldn't make business sense. BUT, I believe any of the high quality, major oil brands will be fine for the meantime. Then as soon as you get the DI, change it out. One thing that has be very consistent recommendations is, change your oil often. It's probably more important than the exact oil.

My .02.

Cw
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I'd be surprised if he, will recommend any other brand outside of his own. Wouldn't make business sense. BUT, I believe any of the high quality, major oil brands will be fine for the meantime. Then as soon as you get the DI, change it out. One thing that has be very consistent recommendations is, change your oil often. It's probably more important than the exact oil.

My .02.

Cw
Charles Navarro has recommended MOTUL X-Cess 8100 many times on the forums if you need a good A40 type oil for these cars.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Charles Navarro has recommended MOTUL X-Cess 8100 many times on the forums if you need a good A40 type oil for these cars.
Well, there you go! Great oil. Use it until your Driven comes in. Perfect.

Cw
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I wasn't really complaining.. I just wanted a reason to post that funny MeMe photo I stole from FB...LOL

Anyway, thanks for the update! Any chance I can order another case and you ship it with my current back order when they come in? Or has it all be spoken for so far (including my first order of course)?

Thanks,

David
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Question CARFAX Report of first year

Originally Posted by bronz
Car spent its entire life in warm climate. Florida and Texas. It had only been in Illinois 1year and 2months. Heres the carfax from when i bought the car.
First off, as so many others have said, we thank you for sharing your situation and for taking it in such good stride in spite of the financial and time hit you are taking. I'm not sure I'd handle it as well. Second, I know you are way far down the road with an excellent solution, so my post is more of a question for the future (and a search for "the" cause of your car's failure) so that we all can be better aware of factors that can affect the longevity of our 9A1 engines. I' m picking up my new to me 2011 997.2 GTS tomorrow!!!, so I'm real interested in what to do or avoid.

When I looked at the Carfax from your car, what immediately jumped out at me was the time/mileage record for the first year of its life in dealer inventory. As shown in copy of the first page of the report, it spent almost a year in inventory and covered exactly 33 miles (or less) during that year. How many times was it started and cold idled to "keep the battery up", move it on the lot. take it for a 1-3 mile test "drive" and other forms of potential mistreatment?? Of course no one knows or will ever know at this point.

Would Jake or Baz, or Charles, or anyone care to comment on the effect of this treatment of a BRAND NEW 997 on the potential for future scoring issues? Since in all 38 pages of this thread so far, I haven't seen a definitive cause of the scoring other than a manufacturing defect in the original casting, it might be worth considering this aspect.

Again, good luck, I've learned a lot (too much??) from this thread and of course I am subscribed.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3

When I looked at the Carfax from your car, what immediately jumped out at me was the time/mileage record for the first year of its life in dealer inventory. As shown in copy of the first page of the report, it spent almost a year in inventory and covered exactly 33 miles (or less) during that year. How many times was it started and cold idled to "keep the battery up", move it on the lot. take it for a 1-3 mile test "drive" and other forms of potential mistreatment?? Of course no one knows or will ever know at this point.
I just wonder how unlikely would bore scoring NOT to happen with a car covering 33 miles in a year, moving in the confines of the lot and the odd test drives. All that cold start with oil starvation while the engine was bone dry, and then running with rich fuel diluting that oil, moisture buildup...etc, in essence the engine would be operating within those parameter with hardly any lubrications. Makes me wonder how in the world is it possible for any engine NOT to self-destruct under this scenario. Personally I'm not surprised at all. The damage was done when the car was new. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM
bazhart
User

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

It will not be long now until we have posted on our web site our up to date opinion about the causes and effects of bore scoring.

However, I can just add that our report would indeed reflect on the consequences of leaving the car unused for long periods and that they might indeed result in premature scoring.

There are (as Jake explains) many contributory factors and it is not possible to isolate just one or two and we also conclude that variations in the distribution of silicon in the crankcase matrix contributes as well (and so cannot be predicted until after it happens). Because there is so much to think about I don't want to respond directly to individual questions until the whole picture is available to read and only then with those who have read it. It will be a long read and if that doesn't suit you please ignore it.

The postings on our web site ("buyers guide section 4") are over 10 years old now and will be replaced by this more up to date report soon. There is nothing on the old report that we found inaccurate but lots that have happened since. I have taken a risk to explain the whole period during which we were trying to work out the causes including the things we tried that didn't work and the ones that did, and how we finally understood the situation.

Sorry it will be a little longer while we add final pictures and get it put on the site - but I will let you know when it is available.

Baz

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure