Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC module satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Great pictures, Petza thanks for the write up of your setup. Have you found the sway bar makes a large difference in handling? What kind is it?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Saltybrad
Great pictures, Petza thanks for the write up of your setup. Have you found the sway bar makes a large difference in handling? What kind is it?
The sway bars are RSS that I had powdercoated to match the Bilstein coils. I did everything at the same time, except the DSC box so can't say what specifically the adjustable sways contribute, but the car handles beautifully, and like it has no limits. It's more capable than I am courageous, which makes for a nice safety margin. It's super accurate, turns in and holds really well. The only components not from RSS are the front monoball top mounts, which are from Tarett.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Great News Folks!!

TPC is introducing a new "Launch Control" feature to the DSC!! Have a look!

We can send in our units for an upgrade for a small fee (I'll let Tom or someone from TPC announce the pricing).

Mine's going in as soon as possible.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DSC & PDK Launch Control ??

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Great News Folks!!

We can send in our units for an upgrade for a small fee (I'll let Tom or someone from TPC announce the pricing).

Popped in my first DSC controller ...w/ launch control. Loving it thus far.

Unlike muscle cars I've had in the past, I've only launched my 997 a handful of times. I just never felt compelled to hammer my Porsche's. However, I do have an upcoming for fun event that includes head-to-head 2/3 1/3 mile runway drives Depending on the number of participants, I may only get 2-3 runs though.

If using DSC launch control AND PDK launch control, might the sequence matter?
ie. apply brake, blip the gas (to engage DSC lauch) then floor the gas (to engage factory launch)?

Last edited by kru911; 06-11-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great News Folks!!

http://youtu.be/wQl4p3BHqhE
Thanks for posting the video
bill
Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kruinc
Popped in my first DSC controller ...w/ launch control. Loving it thus far.

Unlike muscle cars I've had in the past, I've only launched my 997 a handful of times. Aside from a handful of times, I just never felt compelled to hammer my Porsche's. However, I do have an upcoming for fun event that includes head-to-head 2/3 mile runway drives Depending on the number of participants, I may only get 2-3 runs though.

ie. apply brake, blip the gas (to engage DSC lauch) then floor the gas (to engage factory launch)?

2/3 mile? Now that would be FUN, especially if you are winning ))
Bill
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tinkerbill
2/3 mile? Now that would be FUN, especially if you are winning ))
Bill
Oooops! More like 1/3 mile
From what I recall last year, flags marking the "end" were somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile. The airstrip length is 1,194 m (~3,900 ft).

No timing and the matchups were random...
Run #1 vs 991.2 GT3 (driven by racecar driver) - beat me some 12-15 cars.
Run #2 vs 991.2 C2 Cab (driven by a beauty queen), both top down, I had a passenger - I lead until I let off the gas.
Run #3 vs 997.1 TT (driver + passenger), raining - beat me some 6-7 cars.

Nonetheless, it is a lot of FUN. As you are in the Northwest, join us June 22/23. Would be great to have another cab, especially a turbo S!
Details here - www.porscherally.com

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Looking through the website "launch control" just adjusts the suspension in anticipating a launch, not that it actually revs the engine? Want to add a DSC but having a manual and not every "launching" my car I think it would be a waste.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellen
Looking through the website "launch control" just adjusts the suspension in anticipating a launch, not that it actually revs the engine? Want to add a DSC but having a manual and not every "launching" my car I think it would be a waste.
Perhaps not aimed at me, but I'll chime in... Hands down, I got the DSC controller for the handling - it is amazingly good. Taking advantage of PASM to control the squat at launch is only a bonus.

Originally Posted by kruinc
Snippet from DSC support:
DSC Sport Jeremy: If you do the full blip, they should both engage together.
DSC Sport Jeremy: DSC will pick up it up if you do the procedure as you would for PDK Launch control.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen

The new feature isn't the only reason to buy a DSC. If you don't plan to launch, don't worry about the new feature, but you Definitely need to experience the DSC for handling.

The new feature has Nothing to do with "Revs" or actual launch control... Only to allow more "Squat" of the rear during an actual Launch like at a drag strip. Helping traction.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

The new feature isn't the only reason to buy a DSC. If you don't plan to launch, don't worry about the new feature, but you Definitely need to experience the DSC for handling.

The new feature has Nothing to do with "Revs" or actual launch control... Only to allow more "Squat" of the rear during an actual Launch like at a drag strip. Helping traction.
Thanks. That’s what I thought.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Quicksilver914
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Drive with DSC

Wow, just wow. DSC box transformed the car. It now feels planted. I used to describe the front end in my 997.2 GTS, manual trans, as feeling nervous. It did not inspire confidence. I also changed the P Zeros (an apt name in my opinion as that is how I would rate them) to Michellin Pilot Sport 4S tires, which also made a huge difference in ride and handling (and I think, traction). I have a set of Eibach springs and bars to install next and I think I will stop there as this is a street car. I have a track car if I wish to rattle my fillings and compress my spine. I live in a relatively remote area, Winters CA and I drive back roads every day. Highway 128 goes to the Silverado trail and on to the coast if you are so inclined. I avoid freeways. The car is much more planted at speed and is not upset or jarred by potholes (which I do try to avoid) or bad pavement, expansion joints or tar strips. There is one section of road on the way to work which I would describe as similar to very mild motocross whoops. All of my past cars did not like those and it would unsettle the suspension. This included an A4 with full Ohlins suspension and an 88 turbo look Cab with RSR struts, big bars and stiff springs. I went through those this morning at the highest speed every by 10-15 mph and the DSC box tamed them, Two thumbs up. The normal setting is much more plush but still responds when you start turning.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Risk3233
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

This is on my to do list for my 2012 C4 GTS. I'm planning a Fabspeed bypass pipe, DSC box and maybe a Cobb tune.

I haven't figured out the order to do them yet. Each time I think I've made a decision, more information comes up and changes my decision.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Do the DSC now. It’s that positive an upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
Murphey997 (09-22-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 89 Posts

I really need to bite the bullet and get it
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Quick Reply: DSC module satisfaction