Sponsored by:

DSC module satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DSC module satisfaction

I know there are lots of threads about this product but I am so thrilled I have to start my own.
Honestly I have been less than impressed with the ride of the stock car. It was tiring to drive or ride in for any length of time. I thought it was just riding on a set of rubber bumpers. The car was jumpy and had an unsettled feeling.
I just installed the V1 and the difference is night and day. I can now feel the chassis flex instead of just being bumped around, the car also feels as if it is leaning into the turn instead of excessively out. The suspension seems to have gained lots of progressive travel.
I am really looking forward to testing on a track. I will have to bring a travel computer to tweek settings with. Pretty awesome toy to be able to play with on the car for sure.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Agreed brother! Love mine
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Same here! The car has been transformed ever since I installed the DSC. I couldn’t be happier and recommend this product as the first suspension mod anyone with PASM should do.
The following users liked this post:
Murphey997 (09-22-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

If you'll be dialing in different settings, leave a cable connected to the DSC box and just tuck it behind the carpet, then you can pull out the pigtail to plug it into your laptop without having to get the box back out. Just make sure the car is off and key out of the ignition.

DSC is awesome. It let's me take the full race setup in my car and have it be totally comfortable for regular street use, then hit the button and have a razor sharp canyon carver. Love it.
Murphey997 (09-22-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Essential mod.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:00 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to confirm, the DSC works with the stock PASM suspension correct? You don't need new coilovers or anything right? I was thinking of getting the Bilstein B16 coilover damps and then get the DSC. Or get the DSC first if it works with stock....sorry for the rookie question but I am still new to the Porsche mod scene.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannonball05
Just to confirm, the DSC works with the stock PASM suspension correct? You don't need new coilovers or anything right? I was thinking of getting the Bilstein B16 coilover damps and then get the DSC. Or get the DSC first if it works with stock....sorry for the rookie question but I am still new to the Porsche mod scene.
Yes, it works with either stock PASM or B16 Damptronics. I'd start with the DSC module and see if you still feel you need the coilovers, and if so, then add them.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:22 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, it works with either stock PASM or B16 Damptronics. I'd start with the DSC module and see if you still feel you need the coilovers, and if so, then add them.
Will do thanks. I wish I could drive a car with the B16 damps though.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:33 PM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What does it do? What's involved with installation? I'm not familiar with it.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannonball05

Originally Posted by halsyknox
What does it do? What's involved with installation? I'm not familiar with it.

Here is what I got direct from TPC about the DSC prior to purchase. My car is stock and I love it.

"Hello David,

Thank you for your inquiry.
DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock.
We only sell DSC units with the newest updates since we are the developer.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Tom"

Here is a crude install vid I did that shows how easy / fast it is to install also.

Murphey997 (09-22-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,421 Likes on 863 Posts

2009 C2S 130K miles

My writup on DSC here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html

DSC is the cheapest and biggest impact to handling... and can tame what I feel is a Porsche's sloppy work on the 997.2 S. Plus, you can then configure it as you wish using your laptop. A complete no-brainer. If by then you want to see cool colored metal in your wheel wells, then by all means, start spending more money. BTW, if you do want to put on what everyone else does... then the Damptronics may be the way to go... or, you may want to use the DSC dampers and springs to install a completed system... all done by real racing pros (DSC). Just something to consider.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-19-2018, 02:44 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not very computer savvy. Can you buy these pre-programmed in a kind of generic, good for most, setting?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I am not very computer savvy. Can you buy these pre-programmed in a kind of generic, good for most, setting?
The default settings as shipped are good enough for most.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shekmark
Originally Posted by Hula
The default settings as shipped are good enough for most.

THIS!! ^

I love the stock programming. Of course I'm sure someone could make it better, but I wouldn't know to miss it.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did my suspension project in the reverse sequence, adding Damptronics and RSS Stage 2 Tarmac setup before adding the DSC. One of my primary purposes for installing the coilovers was to be able to also install the cargraphic AirLift (noselift) system allowing me to enter steeper driveways and clear speed bumps by having the ability to lift the nose a couple inches at will. The AirLift system was only compatible with Bilsteins or GT car setups. However, another advantage to locking down the suspension this way is that since the original install and corner balance, I haven't had to realign the car. Tire wear is still very even and the car tracks perfectly straight.

The coilover suspension with RSS goodies eliminated all of the rubber bushings from the suspension and was a significant improvement over the stock PASM dampers. The rear end of the car was much better controlled and all of the wallowing over undulations was eliminated - I feel the stock PASM setup lacks adequate rebound dampening. Then the DSC box came on the market (I was an early adopter of the original 3-mode box) and that's when it really all came together. With the Damptronics, I didn't love the stock maps and a couple months later went to create custom profiles and discovered I had one of the early 3-mode boxes with a software glitch that prevented writing new profiles to it. TPC was great and shipped me a replacement updated 2-mode box with writing capability. I only played around with the G tables and none of the other settings, but developed an excellent street profile that's very comfortable on all but the worst washboard roads and lets me use the car even on longer trips. It's nice and soft when cruising in a straight line, but still tightens up for exit ramps or more abrupt maneuvers due to the current trend of cell phone use and distracted driving. Normal mode stays full soft for quite a while then progressively stiffens to about 80% of full stiff. Sport mode starts stiffer and progressively stiffens to 100% full stiffness capability of the Bilsteins.

Since I did the additions in the opposite sequence, I can't personally speak to what just adding the DSC box will do to the stock setup, but since it made the Damptronics that much better, I imagine the improvement to the stock setup would be even more significant, which is why I recommended starting with DSC and adding coilovers later if you still want more or are trying to change other handling dynamics.

Quick Reply: DSC module satisfaction