Sponsored by:

At a loss: Sport Button not Working C2S

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:24 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default At a loss: Sport Button not Working C2S

Recently bought a 997.1 that was sitting for ~1 year.

My sport button light doesn't appear when I press the button; nothing is activated either (no exhaust note change, PSM not disabled, etc.)

I fixed a number of things conducive to a dead/dying battery, ie heated seats not working.

My wing, PASM, and PCM modes work independently.

I replaced the console with no success (all other buttons maintain functionality).

Any recommendations?

Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

The sport muffler switch mounted on dash is connected to a vacuum connection that you can access under the engine lid - My sport muffle was disconnected and the end of the vacuum tube was capped so sport muffler is always on.
I'm sure you could do the same thing if you cannot find the source of why the switch is not operating
Good luck
Old 12-15-2018, 09:22 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
The sport muffler switch mounted on dash is connected to a vacuum connection that you can access under the engine lid - My sport muffle was disconnected and the end of the vacuum tube was capped so sport muffler is always on.
I'm sure you could do the same thing if you cannot find the source of why the switch is not operating
Good luck
I appreciate the feedback. I was messing around with that vacuum sensor this afternoon and it sounded great with the sport exhaust enabled. I may do that for the time being. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:33 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume the car has this option and it is activated?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I assume the car has this option ...
Yes.

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
... and it is activated?
Elaborate please. Could this be something that was shutoff due to the battery, similarly to the heated seats?

Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

When the PASM system senses an error it defaults to full stiff mode on the suspension. Does the suspension feel really stiff and jarring. If not, the PASM system should be fine. If the suspension feels normal, but the light on the button doesn't work, check the fuses.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:26 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 794 Likes on 447 Posts

If your heated seats aren't working + the homelink/garage door opener, you could also try doing the handover code thing. I don't know how to do it, so I asked my indie in Pasadena (HOUSE AUTO) to do it, and they did it no problem, all functions were back to normal after. However, I did not have issues with my sport buttons and etc., so that might be unrelated. I only had issues with seat heating and homelink.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:17 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

I second the Piwis “deliver mode” ecu reset. It will take 10 minutes and your Indy may not even charge you for it.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:46 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamesinger
If your heated seats aren't working + the homelink/garage door opener, you could also try doing the handover code thing.
I did that at the dealer to fix the homelink/heated seats... you think this would be something I would have to point out specifically to the dealer/indy to reset/activate?
Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 794 Likes on 447 Posts

If you already did it and the homelink and/or the seat heaters aren't working, the handover is a starting point. The sport button might flag it for someone more knowledgeable than me. It's just a logical chain of stuff not working to find the issue, so the info. will help your mechanic make the connections. Definitely update the thread!! Good Luck!!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Last resort is a trip to the dealer or an indy with PIWIS and online access to reactive sport mode. The online access part is needed to pull activation codes down from Porsche specific to your VIN. Then using PIWIS and the activation codes sport mode can be reenabled.

Be sure the tech knows what he is doing. My local pcar dealer struggled trying to reenable sport mode, almost needing to escalate to the factory at my expense. I had to show them where in PIWIS to enable it (two spots, gateway and instrument cluster, perhaps PCM as well). I only knew this because I tried unsuccessfully with Durametric Pro to get it done, then again with an offline copy of PIWIS.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM
byrona8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lower control panel wasn't working and I took the panel apart the panel and cleaned contacts. Then it worked.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPL
Yes.

Elaborate please. Could this be something that was shutoff due to the battery, similarly to the heated seats?
If the car was not originally equipped with the Sport Chrono package, you can purchase and have installed the Sport mode software and appropriate console switch. My thought is that the previous owner could have installed the console panel himself but never went through with adding the software.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Just wanted to provide an update to those who chimed in and future searchers:

I got the sport button to work after a dealer enabled it using, I think, the handover procedure.

What confuses me is I took it to another dealer about a month prior and they did a "handover" procedure but could only enable the heated seats; the homelink and sport button remained ineffective.

Apparently a dead battery can affect the following:
  • Radio/Amplifier
  • Heated Seats
  • Homelink
  • Sport Button
All these now work like a charm.

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: At a loss: Sport Button not Working C2S