Sponsored by:

The Quick Guide to Replacing Your 997 Rear Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 01:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Finally got around to doing this. Thanks for the write-up and the torque values. I used the RSS numbers for their components but yours for the stock things like top mount to body and lower strut mount to wheel carrier.

I had to remove the rear toe link at the wheel carrier to get the lower shock bolt out and both dog bones at the wheel carrier to get enough drop for the start assembly to come down and out.

The Tarett pieces are really nice. The bottom side is designed to go right over the shock piston with the correct sized recess for the piston and then the other machined in ring mates perfectly with the top sping collar, then inside the car the top circle is perfect for the opening in the mounting flange.

We'll see if the clunk is gone as this is the last piece of suspension that had a rubber bushing in them, though I don't think the foam looks very collapsed in the OEM ones I removed.

OEM mounts removed.

Strut out

Reinstalled with new Tarett monoball top mount

From inside the car

Old 03-13-2022, 05:58 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

The secret nub.
For those who were wondering, this is how the shock shaft does not spin when loosening/tightening the top nut.
It's there, but not immune from getting sheared off if the top nut is super tight on the shaft.
Slightly tricky to align to the mating groove in the shock shaft to the top mount when forcing the spring down, again, another opportunity to damage the secret nub.

The secret nub...Gotta love German engineering

Last edited by BLU997; 03-13-2022 at 06:05 AM. Reason: It's the punctuation.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLU997
The secret nub.
For those who were wondering, this is how the shock shaft does not spin when loosening/tightening the top nut.
It's there, but not immune from getting sheared off if the top nut is super tight on the shaft.
Slightly tricky to align to the mating groove in the shock shaft to the top mount when forcing the spring down, again, another opportunity to damage the secret nub.

The secret nub...Gotta love German engineering

Yep, that's actually a great design The Tatetts don't have that so it's a bit more challenging to put things together with them, especially with the PASM wire coming out the top.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:42 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

@Petza914 nice work! Your clean wheel wells are giving me OCD envy
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (04-17-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@Petza914 nice work! Your clean wheel wells are giving me OCD envy
Thanks, but I've actually never cleaned them !
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 12:17 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

will be doing this soon and have ordered the parts!! wow the prices of these parts are going up so fast!! according to the manual all that is needed is to remove the toe control arm to wheel carrier joint. what problems did anyone encounter when this was the only one that was removed? Petza, was the clunk problem fixed? your rear mounts looked good.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
will be doing this soon and have ordered the parts!! wow the prices of these parts are going up so fast!! according to the manual all that is needed is to remove the toe control arm to wheel carrier joint. what problems did anyone encounter when this was the only one that was removed? Petza, was the clunk problem fixed? your rear mounts looked good.
Yes, my clunk seems to be gone.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:17 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got t do this on my 2008 C4S. Where did you find the best price for the rear strut mounts?
Old 06-18-2022, 07:29 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hats off to you The Bruce!! Your post continues to help so many of us!! True immediate results!! Beautiful no rattle no clunk sound!! Thank you!

old vs new.. the first side took 2.5hrs!! The second side 1hr... wow this one tired me out.. not as young as I thought I was.. but very satisfied...
Old 06-19-2022, 03:50 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

One note, dont know if discussed... torque for lubricated bolts are different! The torque figures indicated by the Bruce are for unlubricated bolts! Some of us might try to lubricated the bolts to ease removal.. Dont! There are no tightening torques available...
Old 04-04-2023, 12:43 AM
4Sforlife
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Finally got around to doing this. Thanks for the write-up and the torque values. I used the RSS numbers for their components but yours for the stock things like top mount to body and lower strut mount to wheel carrier.

I had to remove the rear toe link at the wheel carrier to get the lower shock bolt out and both dog bones at the wheel carrier to get enough drop for the start assembly to come down and out.

The Tarett pieces are really nice. The bottom side is designed to go right over the shock piston with the correct sized recess for the piston and then the other machined in ring mates perfectly with the top sping collar, then inside the car the top circle is perfect for the opening in the mounting flange.

We'll see if the clunk is gone as this is the last piece of suspension that had a rubber bushing in them, though I don't think the foam looks very collapsed in the OEM ones I removed.

OEM mounts removed.

Strut out

Reinstalled with new Tarett monoball top mount

From inside the car
How did you tighten the top struts bold? I have the same Tarett strut Mount but I’m having a hard time tightening the bolt more without an impact wrench. How did you overcome this?
Old 04-04-2023, 07:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4Sforlife
How did you tighten the top struts bold? I have the same Tarett strut Mount but I’m having a hard time tightening the bolt more without an impact wrench. How did you overcome this?
Sorry, I don't remember. Looking at it, I probably used my Max Axess Craftsman socket set so the wire could pass through the center
Old 01-02-2024, 08:18 PM
Kitch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great writeup. The "clunk" just started on my 2007 (43k miles) about two weeks ago. Seems like all it takes is time and eventually things catch up with this part. A bit of sticker shock to pay 560 bucks for the pair of bushings for the rear. Such is the life of Porsche ownership I suppose.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitch
Great writeup. The "clunk" just started on my 2007 (43k miles) about two weeks ago. Seems like all it takes is time and eventually things catch up with this part. A bit of sticker shock to pay 560 bucks for the pair of bushings for the rear. Such is the life of Porsche ownership I suppose.
I have a pair of good ones I removed when changing to monoball top mounts.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Anyone just get the power flex bushings for the rear shock top mount? About to install my ohlins and figured this might be a good preventative addition while everything was apart.
L

Quick Reply: The Quick Guide to Replacing Your 997 Rear Strut Mount