Sponsored by:

The Quick Guide to Replacing Your 997 Rear Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
I had replaced stock with Bilstein B8s and H&R springs, a spring compressor was definitely needed. You may be able to do a stock job without, but they basically rent for free so having them there just in case is just good planning I think.
On that note, what's your verdict of the B8s with H&R?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
On that note, what's your verdict of the B8s with H&R?
The combo looks great, it's just REALLY stiff. It drives amazingly and handles like a dream. The ride quality suffers though and you do start to notice more rattles. I had/have a fixed budget and I really couldn't find anything else though in that price range.

I love them for a spirited drive, I hate 'em for date night
The following users liked this post:
MagnusB (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:58 PM
MagnusB
Pro

The combo looks great, it's just REALLY stiff. It drives amazingly and handles like a dream. The ride quality suffers though and you do start to notice more rattles. I had/have a fixed budget and I really couldn't find anything else though in that price range.

I love them for a spirited drive, I hate 'em for date night
How much lower is your car now? 1.2"?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

How much lower is your car now? 1.2"?
I wish I would have measured before and after. I'd say that's about right, probably more like 1.5" lower. I'm at 1" in the rear, top of tire to bottom of fender, and about 3/4" for the front.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:03 PM
MagnusB
Pro

"5. Remove the 16mm bolts holding the 2 upper control arms at the wheel carrier. An impact wrench makes quick work of these but you need an 18mm box wrench on the nut."

For this step, any tips on how to get the rear bolt out? I got the front link lose but the rear one seems more difficult.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:09 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

"5. Remove the 16mm bolts holding the 2 upper control arms at the wheel carrier. An impact wrench makes quick work of these but you need an 18mm box wrench on the nut."

For this step, any tips on how to get the rear bolt out? I got the front link lose but the rear one seems more difficult.
Sorry it's been a few days, I hope you got it done! I definitely had to wiggle it out, use a jack to position the carrier just right, wiggle the rotor, etc. It's a pain. I've done the rears twice now (one for the new struts, one for the new strut mounts) and each time it's been different, sometimes it goes super easy, sometimes not so much)
Old 01-28-2021, 02:22 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Yes, done!
Old 01-28-2021, 02:24 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Yes, done!
Nice! Out of curiosity, what did you go with (struts and springs) and what's your overall impression?
I still need my alignment done...
Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Nice! Out of curiosity, what did you go with (struts and springs) and what's your overall impression?
I went with a B12 package (B8 and Eibach springs).
I haven't driven it yet, I bought new 3mm shock bearing plates for the fronts so taking it apart again. :-)
Old 01-28-2021, 07:07 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

I went with a B12 package (B8 and Eibach springs).
I haven't driven it yet, I bought new 3mm shock bearing plates for the fronts so taking it apart again. :-)
You have a part number for those? Interested to see what you think after you drive it! I think I need to do the plates on the front too but overall I think the H&R springs may have been too agressive?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:21 PM
MagnusB
Pro

You have a part number for those? Interested to see what you think after you drive it! I think I need to do the plates on the front too but overall I think the H&R springs may have been too agressive?
Shock Bearing Plate for Front Shock Absorber, Lower, 3mm (2007 Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe)
Part #: 996-343-511-00-OEM
Old 02-16-2021, 01:11 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Well now I have driven it for a while, the new setup is so much better than what I had.
It handles bumps, rough surface and undulations MUCH better, it adds a little bit of vibration and it is quite harsh when hitting large concrete/asphalt seams (WTF don't they pave over the concrete????).
It's just so much better at keeping the tires on the road. Might buy a DSC box soon.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 PM
pitargue
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Funny thing is if they just sold the foam bushing this project would only cost $5. I could have swapped out the bushing into the old mount because the metal itself is fine.
Did any enterprising individual ever find if these can be bought separately?

If not, would it be worth it to just get an equivalent part from Elephant Racing, Rennline, Tarret Engineering, etc to eliminate this delicate part? Seems keeping this foam part just invites doing this again in the future.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:48 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

I don't think that silly foam part is available by itself. However it and the full mount assembly does last for 10+ years and 100,000 miles. Just get the new OEM mounts unless you are really doing something tricky.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:14 PM
fredfredtrembly
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this great write up. It was very usefull.

Quick Reply: The Quick Guide to Replacing Your 997 Rear Strut Mount