Old 11-03-2018, 02:18 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2

Hi folks,

Just an FYI...

TopGear Exhausts (UK based) is running a group-buy on their 997.2 Carrera/S center muffler bypass - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130642. There are links to the product and a demo video in that post.

It's an X-style setup à la Fabspeed, plus it looks like they add an additional a set of Gundo-like bypass tubes as well:

Their normal list price is £266.67 (excluding VAT), plus £70 shipping from UK to CA (YMMV), totaling £336.67 (~$430 at today's exchange rates).

With the group-buy, I got a roughly $60 discount off that price. But again, YMMV (e.g. differences in shipping).

At that price, I said 'what the heck' and have put one on order. I'll update this thread once I receive it and get around to having it installed,.

Karl.

PS: They also sell a full 997.2 Carrera/S exhaust system, including switchable-valves for (~£833 plus shipping) - https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...alved-cat-back

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 11-03-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:50 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have first hand experience with Topgear? I could be interested in the mufflers if they are of proven quality.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:14 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rw229
Does anyone have first hand experience with Topgear?
Not yet. But here's a few related threads from 911uk.com:

X-pipeValved Exhaust
Karl.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I’ve always wanted to see a side-by-side comparison between this type of bypass and the individual crossed pipes-type. The primary issue with the OE muffler is the 180-degree bend, which this type of bypass doesn’t eliminate. Plus, having a crossover right at the midpoint of the bend seems like it would disrupt flow, not improve it.

Does anyone have dyno numbers for either or both types of bypass?

This set does appear to be priced right, although I’m not sure what the shipping would be from the U.K. Looks well put-together, too.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
I’ve always wanted to see a side-by-side comparison between this type of bypass and the individual crossed pipes-type.
I've currently got a Billy Boat crossed-pipe setup, but I'll be removing it because of this problem it has with PSE: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15373145

I'll try to capture a BB vs. TG clip when mine arrive.

...I’m not sure what the shipping would be from the U.K.
Looks like you're in NC. I'd be surprised if shipping were more than the £70 I was charged from the UK to CA.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 11-03-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn

I'll try to capture a BB vs. TG clip when mine arrive.
What’s the ETA?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not an exhaust expert, but believe the 180 tubes are open in the middle where they meet which is supposed to create a scavenging affect between the cylinder banks vs. crossed pipes with a direct connection from the header to the muffler.

I have never seen a good dyno or sound comparison between the two designs.

I’ve always wanted to see a side-by-side comparison between this type of bypass and the individual crossed pipes-type. The primary issue with the OE muffler is the 180-degree bend, which this type of bypass doesn’t eliminate. Plus, having a crossover right at the midpoint of the bend seems like it would disrupt flow, not improve it.

Does anyone have dyno numbers for either or both types of bypass?

This set does appear to be priced right, although I’m not sure what the shipping would be from the U.K. Looks well put-together, too.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Not yet. But here's a few related threads from 911uk.com:

X-pipe
From the above thread there is also mention of another brand, Hayward and Scott that is also much cheaper than the US versions. H&S X Pipe
Old 11-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

I personally prefer the Hayward and Scott design which unfortunately is a copy of a popular but expensive American exhaust company. It’s still expensive as in my opinion 2 bent pipes should not cost 500-1000 usd
Old 11-04-2018, 03:36 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
What’s the ETA?
When I placed the order on Friday, it was past business hours in the UK. Presumably I'll get shipping info in the next few business days.

As regards installing, probably 1-2 months after receiving it.

Originally Posted by Chris M.
From the above thread there is also mention of another brand, Hayward and Scott that is also much cheaper than the US versions. H&S X Pipe
I like the H&S solution, and it's relatively well priced compared to SW and AWE. H&S charge £360 (excl. VAT) plus £145 shipping to CA, so I'd cost me approximately $660 to my door. In practice, that's about $100 more than a Billy Boat solution (but only for those with non-PSE setups).

The TopGear X-pipe solution to my door in CA is $370 (with the group-buy discount). Appeals to my inner cheapskate

Karl.

PS: Just for reference...

The following are the 997.2 Carrera/S bypass options I'm aware of on the market and their list price (excluding sale-tax/VAT and shipping) at the time of writing.

Under & Over Crossover StyleX-Pipe / U-Bend Style

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 11-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ve always wanted to see a side-by-side comparison between this type of bypass and the individual crossed pipes-type...
...I'll try to capture a BB vs. TG clip when mine arrive.
Just came across this Fabspeed video (3m28s long) that'll save me the effort:
  • The first half demonstrates the sound with a prototype under & over crossover style pipe
  • The second half (from 1m38s) demos their X-pipe / U-bend style production part

Differences seem subtle. Any claims are obviously their own (don't shoot the messanger!).

Karl.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2009 Targa 4s and am wondering about Dynoing it. Do I need to change the muffler to get the full benefit of a dyno tune.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi folks,

Just an FYI...

TopGear Exhausts (UK based) is running a group-buy on their 997.2 Carrera/S center muffler bypass - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130642. There are links to the product and a demo video in that post.

It's an X-style setup à la Fabspeed, plus it looks like they add an additional a set of Gundo-like bypass tubes as well:

Their normal list price is £266.67 (excluding VAT), plus £70 shipping from UK to CA (YMMV), totaling £336.67 (~$430 at today's exchange rates).

With the group-buy, I got a roughly $60 discount off that price. But again, YMMV (e.g. differences in shipping).

At that price, I said 'what the heck' and have put one on order. I'll update this thread once I receive it and get around to having it installed,.

Karl.

PS: They also sell a full 997.2 Carrera/S exhaust system, including switchable-valves for (~£833 plus shipping) - https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...alved-cat-back

Price is right for sure but those 180 bends look a bit too much like the stock muffler it replaces for my likes. Compare to the mostly straight Sharkwerks pipes (along with a cut up stock muffler) below. I also have to admit I'm skeptical about these discount bypass systems that keep popping up. Someone posted recently about installing the discount Billy Boat pipes. Required several people to "manhandle" it to finally get it in place.

A matter of personal taste I suppose but I don't really care for exhaust parts (or any parts for that matter) that are so poorly designed or cheaply built that they need manhandling and bending for installment. I had my Sharkwerks pipes replaced as part of a recent rear end collision repair. I asked the body shop manager about the Sharkwerk pipes fitment. "Bolted right on like stock parts" he said.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Meh, every car is different. My Billy Boat pipes bolted right up with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (06-17-2021)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Meh, every car is different. My Billy Boat pipes bolted right up with no issues.
PSE car?

Quick Reply: Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2