Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 10:10 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 80 Posts

I just got a Topgear center muffler for my .2 C2S, fit and finish was excellent.
As mentioned the bolts supplied are too large for the holes on the OEM cats. Also, the supplied gaskets I think are a bit too small in diameter for the inner opening, I would still use OEM gaskets.
The actual pipes and welding to me are very nice. For anyone else who thinks it's unnecessary to pony up the $1k+ for competing products, I think this is just as good without the brand name. Sounds fantastic to me!
All in including shipping was $650 USD.

Last edited by Rhern213; 12-16-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:08 PM
911AE
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabin vibration at idle

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
I installed it yesterday myself without a hitch. And if I can do it, believe me anyone can

I also captured some clips comparing the in-cabin sound of the Billy Boat vs. TopGear pipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkOwoBR5Ksw

My personal conclusions are:
  • The differences between the Billy Boat and TopGear bypasses are small, there aren’t dramatic differences between them (at least to my 50+ year old hearing).
  • The Billy Boat is a bit louder/bellicose than the TopGear, with more sound in the lower ranges. Note that when combined with PSE open valves, it’s close to being too loud or “hey look at me” in a suburban environment for me personally.
  • The TopGear also sounds great. It comes in at higher ranges and has a smoother, more refined sound than the Billy Boat. Day to day it’s a tad quieter (less “shouty”) than the Billy Boat. But has more of a yowl at the top end…

So whether you'd like one type over another really depends on your own personal preferences.

Karl.

Did you notice any change in cabin vibration between the two setups ?
Old 05-01-2023, 03:14 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by 911AE
Did you notice any change in cabin vibration between the two setups ?
Nope.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
911AE (05-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2