Sponsored by:

Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 AM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Sounds like motor mounts. Very easy DIY.
Is your car a PDK?
Old 06-12-2021, 03:07 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by GTank
Is your car a PDK?
Yes.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:37 PM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Yes.
Thanks! Just ordered one.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:07 AM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Got my bypass today. Crazy quick shipping!

To confirm as I know it’s been asked before, the pipes do scavenge and you can see through to both sides.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,565 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Price is right for sure but those 180 bends look a bit too much like the stock muffler it replaces for my likes. Compare to the mostly straight Sharkwerks pipes (along with a cut up stock muffler) below. I also have to admit I'm skeptical about these discount bypass systems that keep popping up. Someone posted recently about installing the discount Billy Boat pipes. Required several people to "manhandle" it to finally get it in place.

A matter of personal taste I suppose but I don't really care for exhaust parts (or any parts for that matter) that are so poorly designed or cheaply built that they need manhandling and bending for installment. I had my Sharkwerks pipes replaced as part of a recent rear end collision repair. I asked the body shop manager about the Sharkwerk pipes fitment. "Bolted right on like stock parts" he said.

When replacing exhaust pieces, you need to first loosen every bolt in the entire system. After replacing part, then tighten every bolt in the system. Followed this recommended procedure with my Billy Boat bypass and had no problems. I looked at shop drawings of Sharkwerks and BillyBoat product before buying. Only difference I saw was $200 increased price which I assume was a Cali tax.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:46 PM
axl886
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GTank
Got my bypass today. Crazy quick shipping!

To confirm as I know it’s been asked before, the pipes do scavenge and you can see through to both sides.
Let us know how your install goes and whether you encounter increased vibration in-cabin? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
When replacing exhaust pieces, you need to first loosen every bolt in the entire system. After replacing part, then tighten every bolt in the system. Followed this recommended procedure with my Billy Boat bypass and had no problems. I looked at shop drawings of Sharkwerks and BillyBoat product before buying. Only difference I saw was $200 increased price which I assume was a Cali tax.
The Billy Boat system has no exhaust mounts, so it's much less expensive to manufacturer (we have to laser cut stainless steel plate, bend it on a brake, weld it to the pipe, then weld a bolt to it for a stud/fastener, include custom lasercut stainless steel plates to sandwich it in place, and extra hardware to fasten it to the car. Then we also include OEM gaskets (a lot of companies don't include OEM parts), all new nuts/studs/bolts for the parts replaced (I'm not sure what BB includes), and if you call us we will answer the phone (!), and everyone you talk to here has installed this product and is very familiar with it because we only work on Porsches and owned this car. It also fits better (according to most people we talk to), even with PSE. Whether that's worth $200 or not, I can't say, but they're not 100% the same.

Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 06-18-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
The Billy Boat system has no exhaust mounts, so it's much less expensive to manufacturer (we have to laser cut stainless steel plate, bend it on a brake, weld it to the pipe, then weld a bolt to it for a stud/fastener, include custom lasercut stainless steel plates to sandwich it in place, and extra hardware to fasten it to the car. Then we also include OEM gaskets (a lot of companies don't include OEM parts), all new nuts/studs/bolts for the parts replaced (I'm not sure what BB includes), and if you call us we will answer the phone (!), and everyone you talk to here has installed this product and is very familiar with it because we only work on Porsches and owned this car. It also fits better (according to most people we talk to), even with PSE. Whether that's worth $200 or not, I can't say, but they're not 100% the same.

Respectfully disagree. My BB center muffler delete had two exhaust mounts located where the factory center muffler met the side mufflers. It is the OEM factory location….not a new custom made location. So, it had exhaust mounts but in a different location than the Sharkwerks product. Like I recommended before, potential buyers should compare shop drawings of all potential products before making a purchase decision. I will defer to the readers whether they believe gaskets,nuts, bolts and studs are worth the extra $200 price. I had no issues installing the BB product when following correct install procedure which should be followed for all center muffler delete products (BB, Sharkwerks, Fabspeed, Topgear,etc.).
The following users liked this post:
Dartmouth (06-19-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 05:53 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Respectfully disagree. My BB center muffler delete had two exhaust mounts located where the factory center muffler met the side mufflers. It is the OEM factory location….not a new custom made location. So, it had exhaust mounts but in a different location than the Sharkwerks product. Like I recommended before, potential buyers should compare shop drawings of all potential products before making a purchase decision. I will defer to the readers whether they believe gaskets,nuts, bolts and studs are worth the extra $200 price. I had no issues installing the BB product when following correct install procedure which should be followed for all center muffler delete products (BB, Sharkwerks, Fabspeed, Topgear,etc.).
Okay, that's new then. The BB center used to have no mounting brackets at all, and their photos still show that it does not. Our system does use the original location, not a custom made location.
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/porsc...pes-fpor-2535/

I could remove the mounting brackets from our exhaust and sell it for $200 less to Rennlist members, but I feel like the OEM exhaust has it, so any replacement should as well.

FYI I am referring to the way the OEM exhaust has straps that allow it to "hang" on the engine cradle. The current photos in the BB product show no support bracket there.

The fitment issue refers *especially* to cars with PSE as they have less clearance on the side mufflers. There are a few threads saying the BB did not fit with PSE or rubbed. Again, maybe they changed it.

BB removes #12 from this diagram:

They do not replace the hangers. Maybe it won't hurt, maybe it will. And it does cost a lot to add them, which they likely did to save money. We'll keep building them this way because we think it's the best way, even if it's not the cheapest.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 06-18-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Okay, that's new then. The BB center used to have no mounting brackets at all, and their photos still show that it does not. Our system does use the original location, not a custom made location.
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/porsc...pes-fpor-2535/

I could remove the mounting brackets from our exhaust and sell it for $200 less to Rennlist members, but I feel like the OEM exhaust has it, so any replacement should as well.

FYI I am referring to the way the OEM exhaust has straps that allow it to "hang" on the engine cradle. The current photos in the BB product show no support bracket there.

The fitment issue refers *especially* to cars with PSE as they have less clearance on the side mufflers. There are a few threads saying the BB did not fit with PSE or rubbed. Again, maybe they changed it.
Agree. See factory diagram of exhaust system in posts 31 above. BB has two factory mounts on each side located at #9 where the center delete pipes mate to side mufflers. As you indicate, it has no third center muffler mount which is where Sharkwerks has built a third, custom made, mount where factory center muffler “hangs” on engine cradle. I did not think third mount was necessary after reviewing drawings because of reduced bulk and weight moving from a larger center muffler assembly to just two cross pipes. Used it for years with no issues. Your Sharkwerks cross pipe is a good product…. Not claiming otherwise. But, I researched it and went with the less expensive $500-600 competitor and have had no issues, install or otherwise. Just explaining why. Others should compare the shop drawings and make there own decisions. I Iike Sharkwerks products.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Right in line with what the shop manager who fixed my car told me. The premier body shop in my home town, having seen their fair share of Porsches so I have to take his word for what he told me. Mine is a PSE car btw.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:45 PM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Had my TopGear bypass installed. My impressions so far:

- the bolts that come with it are indeed too big for the stock cats. Replaced with M8 1.25x30mm flange nuts in stainless.

- noise with stock side mufflers is almost unchanged from stock…I knew this going into it.

- no rattles or vibrations; seems smoother than stock where I had a slight rattle noise when reversing.

This is for a 2011 C2S PDK.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:42 AM
ergi
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No fitting issue with Milltek, identical to the Sharwerks (shape, quality).
With the bypass, you restore the design of the 997.1 exhaust without the speed-related cutoff,
the only difference is the cats in the collector on the 997.2 and in the cross on the 997.1.
Porsche designed the center back-box only for noise regulation law, not for performance.
Porsche doesn't use the X-pipe design, only the bypass (cross) design, why?
Because from a mechanical point of view, the gas mixture of the 2 banks is not optimal on the Flat6, not like on a V8.
For the quality of the noise, I don't know what is the best configuration.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:55 PM
Happy2th
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is my 2011 997.2 with the TopGear UK valved exhaust system and x-cross center muffler bypass.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:39 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,318 Posts

you've spammed every exhaust thread. You aren't a paid member here either. I'm sure you are monetizing this somehow. Hopefully the mods will move this out.

Quick Reply: Topgear center muffler bypass for 997.2