997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports mode question.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:31 PM
HenryPcar
User

Default Sports mode question.

I've installed a sports mode on my 997.2 manual CS2 over a year now. While I enjoy it, but one question lingers on. A PCA member told me that sports mode affect braking as well. In other words the modulation is different due to more aggressive braking in sports mode. My car is basically simple with manual shift and love the sports mode, but I can't feel the difference in its braking. Can someone verify whether braking is different in sports mode ?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:36 PM
speedracerf4i
User

Not as far as I can tell. The throttle in sport mode is super evident, but not the brake.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar View Post
I've installed a sports mode on my 997.2 manual CS2 over a year now. While I enjoy it, but one question lingers on. A PCA member told me that sports mode affect braking as well. In other words the modulation is different due to more aggressive braking in sports mode. My car is basically simple with manual shift and love the sports mode, but I can't feel the difference in its braking. Can someone verify whether braking is different in sports mode ?

Never heard of this or read anything related to it.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Raven 666
User

I notice no difference in braking in my 997 S with the sport button on or off ............perhaps it raises the ABS thresh hold in some way ...???
Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 AM
E368
User

I can feel it applying more engine braking (PDK downshifting sooner) when lifting off the gas, but as far as the brakes themselves, I feel no difference with sport mode on or off.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:21 PM
mikemessi
User

Check the manual I believe it states in there that in sport mode PSM doesn't intervene unless ABS is engaged on both front wheels. When sport is off it will kick in if one wheel engages ABS. Where this might be noticed is under heavy trail braking where inside front wheel unloads and engages ABS.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM
mikemessi
User

So in summary doesn't change how the brakes feel but how ABS and PSM interact. Just like sport allows some drift under throttle before PSM kicks in it allows some lockup under braking.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 PM
HenryPcar
User

Thanks for the clarification. I was surprised when being told that there is a difference in brake modulation with the sports mode engaged.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:42 PM
raspritz
User

I have never noticed any difference in ANYTHING with the factory sport mode engaged versus not.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM
wc11
Super User

An old review on Top Gear....
Biggest difference I've notices is the harsher suspension and throttle response.
Not sure if adding it afterwards vs from new makes a difference especially with suspension.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:15 PM
997v2cabrio
User

Maybe your referring to pre-loading the brakes? I have heard that as a marketing item about the 997's.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM
wjk_glynn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio View Post
Maybe your referring to pre-loading the brakes? I have heard that as a marketing item about the 997's.
The 997.2 introduced brake pre-filling. Here’s a snipit from the press release. Note the last paragraph...

For 2009, the rear-wheel drive 911 Carrera and Carrera S Coupes receive Porsche's Brake System Pre-Filling and Brake Assistant found on the all-wheel- drive models.
Pre-filling the brake system shortens stopping distance and increases reaction time in emergencies. If the driver suddenly releases the accelerator pedal, the system assumes he is about to hit the brake pedal. In those instances, brake fluid pressure is automatically and instantly built up, placing the brake pads lightly against the rotors before he actually steps on the brake pedal.
Similarly, Brake Assistant shortens stopping distances in emergency by increasing brake assist hydraulically, adding to the vacuum brake boost. If the driver's foot on the brake pedal moves faster and with more force than predetermined levels, Brake Assistant automatically provides maximum braking force.
For those skilled enthusiast drivers who want to deactivate Brake Assistant, it may be switched off along with the standard Porsche Stability Management by hitting the “PSM Off” switch, or by hitting the Sports button on cars equipped with the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus.

Full press release at https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13158831

Karl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: