Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Sports mode question. (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1100526-sports-mode-question.html)

HenryPcar 09-29-2018 04:31 PM

Sports mode question.

I've installed a sports mode on my 997.2 manual CS2 over a year now. While I enjoy it, but one question lingers on. A PCA member told me that sports mode affect braking as well. In other words the modulation is different due to more aggressive braking in sports mode. My car is basically simple with manual shift and love the sports mode, but I can't feel the difference in its braking. Can someone verify whether braking is different in sports mode ?

speedracerf4i 09-29-2018 05:36 PM

Not as far as I can tell. The throttle in sport mode is super evident, but not the brake.

sandwedge 09-30-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by HenryPcar (Post 15326301)
I've installed a sports mode on my 997.2 manual CS2 over a year now. While I enjoy it, but one question lingers on. A PCA member told me that sports mode affect braking as well. In other words the modulation is different due to more aggressive braking in sports mode. My car is basically simple with manual shift and love the sports mode, but I can't feel the difference in its braking. Can someone verify whether braking is different in sports mode ?

Never heard of this or read anything related to it.

Raven 666 09-30-2018 03:07 AM

I notice no difference in braking in my 997 S with the sport button on or off ............perhaps it raises the ABS thresh hold in some way ...???

E368 09-30-2018 09:40 AM

I can feel it applying more engine braking (PDK downshifting sooner) when lifting off the gas, but as far as the brakes themselves, I feel no difference with sport mode on or off.

mikemessi 09-30-2018 02:21 PM

Check the manual I believe it states in there that in sport mode PSM doesn't intervene unless ABS is engaged on both front wheels. When sport is off it will kick in if one wheel engages ABS. Where this might be noticed is under heavy trail braking where inside front wheel unloads and engages ABS.

mikemessi 09-30-2018 02:43 PM

So in summary doesn't change how the brakes feel but how ABS and PSM interact. Just like sport allows some drift under throttle before PSM kicks in it allows some lockup under braking.

HenryPcar 09-30-2018 03:14 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I was surprised when being told that there is a difference in brake modulation with the sports mode engaged.

raspritz 09-30-2018 11:42 PM

I have never noticed any difference in ANYTHING with the factory sport mode engaged versus not.

wc11 10-01-2018 08:57 AM

An old review on Top Gear....
Biggest difference I've notices is the harsher suspension and throttle response.
Not sure if adding it afterwards vs from new makes a difference especially with suspension.

997v2cabrio 10-01-2018 04:15 PM

Maybe your referring to pre-loading the brakes? I have heard that as a marketing item about the 997's.

wjk_glynn 10-01-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio (Post 15330234)
Maybe your referring to pre-loading the brakes? I have heard that as a marketing item about the 997's.

The 997.2 introduced brake pre-filling. Here’s a snipit from the press release. Note the last paragraph...

For 2009, the rear-wheel drive 911 Carrera and Carrera S Coupes receive Porsche's Brake System Pre-Filling and Brake Assistant found on the all-wheel- drive models.
Pre-filling the brake system shortens stopping distance and increases reaction time in emergencies. If the driver suddenly releases the accelerator pedal, the system assumes he is about to hit the brake pedal. In those instances, brake fluid pressure is automatically and instantly built up, placing the brake pads lightly against the rotors before he actually steps on the brake pedal.
Similarly, Brake Assistant shortens stopping distances in emergency by increasing brake assist hydraulically, adding to the vacuum brake boost. If the driver's foot on the brake pedal moves faster and with more force than predetermined levels, Brake Assistant automatically provides maximum braking force.
For those skilled enthusiast drivers who want to deactivate Brake Assistant, it may be switched off along with the standard Porsche Stability Management by hitting the “PSM Off” switch, or by hitting the Sports button on cars equipped with the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus.

Full press release at https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13158831

Karl.