Sponsored by:

Little chirp

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Little chirp

I changed the accessory belt in my 3.6 and now I have a little chirp.

You know the cold start when the engine rev's down slightly after a couple minutes? This is when I hear a slight chirp from the engine compartment. Seems to disappear when I give it a little gas. Maybe a bearing somewhere? 62k miles
Old 09-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try silicone spray on the belt first. If it removes the chirping it's just the belt
Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 PM
avonted
Instructor

Thank you race! So while the engine is running, spray the contact area (bottom) of the belt? Little bit? Few squirts? Or constant until it coats?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

While you had the belt off, did you spin and try to wiggle each of the pulleys it runs around, including the tensioner pulley. Sounds to me like one of the pulleys may be going bad. If not, I'd remove the belt again and inspect each one rather than spraying a slippery lubricant on it that might cause it so slip and squeal.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Idler pulley bearings (on all cars) are notorious noisemakers when the small amount of grease in them dries out over time. I think the new belt you just put on is causing one of them to complain. I agree with Petza914's advice. The bearings themselves are inexpensive and can be replaced (see YouTube); the quicker albeit more expensive fix is to buy a new pulley. Another method would be to re-grease the offending bearing with a needle grease tip attachment (looks like a big syringe needle). You'd pierce the grease seal and give the bearing a small shot of grease. I've done this before on a driveshaft center support bearing of similar design.

Last edited by swingwing; 10-01-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

A couple of ideas:

While driving, windows down, see if the noise still happens at low RPM's under load.
If your familiar with a little mechanics (assuming you are as you replaced the belt) remove belt and start the car for a short period to see if you still hear the chirp without the
belt on. If you do then your hunting for something other than the obvious (pulleys or something in the belt area).

DId you happen to do any other maintenance besides the belt ie: spark plugs?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 PM
avonted
Instructor

I love this group...seriously thank you for the replies. The belt was a major pain in the butt to replace. My tensioner was slipping and I had to tighten the nut behind it just to get it to move enough. If anyone has done this, you know what I mean. The last thing I want to do is remove it and replace it. BUT, JRoach...I agree this is probably what I need to do. As far as other maintenance, I did nothing else. I do think I "upset" a bearing somewhere. Regarding the higher RPM's, I do not hear anything. Thanks again folks.

Quick Reply: Little chirp