Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 AM
cab83_750
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I retired almost 3 years ago and actually planning on selling all my Porsches.

As as soon as my flywheel on the 997 C4S is fixed, I plan on selling the remaining 997 and SC Cab. Time to relax and probably just buy a Tundra.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 AM
cab83_750
Intermediate

Old 10-10-2018, 09:29 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Cab, don’t get crazy, keep the997 C4S and sell the rest if you really must. I get the whole air cooled thing. I even considered selling my 09 C2S and going real old school...1965 356C. I love looking at the 356C and love the whole concept but then I drove the 356 and the C2S back to back and got my bulbous head straight. The C2S was on a different planet. I thought long and ran all the different iterations through my mind and kept coming back to the C2S.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Join us, Bruce. You'll never look back.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

These cars are keepers. I only have space for 1 fun car inside but I would build another garage before I sold my Porsche.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I feel bad even saying it because I’ve had 20k miles of fun with my 997. However Werks ruined me. I saw a bunch of air cooled hot rods and started thinking about building my own. I’ve decided I like the car projects as much as I like driving. I’ve fixed and cleaned everything that needed fixing and
cleaning on my 997 and...I’m bored.

Unfortunalely I don’t have the garage space or budget for 2 so I listed my car to see what type of offers I would get. The good news is I got 2 local offers for 20% more than I paid, after putting 20k miles on it. Not bad.

As as an aside, there are two conclusions I’ve drawn from this: First, at the prices of 997.1s today it’s essentially a “free car”. Second, I believe the base model 997s hold their value better than S models as you increase in mileage. They both coverge towards a $30k floor at 100k miles.

The bad news is now I need to make a real decision.

Option 1: Sell it and make a few bucks towards an air cooled project. The most fun, the least practical. While I think I would love fixing it up I’m unsure how I will like driving an older car and how many times I will end up taking an Uber when the car won’t start. I also want a car I can drive the **** out of with no worries about putting miles on it.

Option 2: sell it and hunt for another good deal on a low mile 997, fix it up and sell at 60k miles. Basically rinse and repeat.

Option 3: keep it for the long haul. At the miles I’m putting on it I will roll 100k in 3 years. Look to add an air cooled car at that time (hopefully when the garage or fun budget increase in size).

Thoughts, experiences appreciated.

I say keep the 997, and as far as the hot rod goes, liftoff oversteer, no nannies be careful and it will make you appreciate the 997 all the more. Do both

Mike
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I was reminded this morning I hadn't updated you guys on the latest.

In short, I pulled the plug on this plan. Work was getting in the way and trying to sell one plaything and and buy another was becoming too much of a distraction. The guy that wanted my car couldn't wait so bought another 997 in the east bay and the S I had been negotiating for in LA sold a few days after that. C'est la vie.

Anyway, when things settle down I still may look for a nice low mile .1 C2S or C4S. But the market is getting tighter and you need to move faster when a good one pops up. I found a silver C2S with Carrera Sports in Santa Barbara offered at a reasonable price but it was gone in a day.

In the mean time im having fun with some new projects on my car. Changed the oil and replaced the strut mount this week.

One of the best things I learned from this experience is how easy it is to sell a 997. One craigslist ad generated 10 qualified buyers in 2-3 weeks. The first two guys I showed the car to gave me offers at list. 4-5 more want me to email them if I decide to sell. I turned the ad off because I was getting too many emails. The funny part is during both of the test drives I had guys yell "nice car" or give me a thumbs up at a stop light. The buyers asked if I got that everyday...I told them yes :-)

I also realized the real buyers are buying you, not the car. Every guy that contacted me said it was obvious from my listing I was passionate and knowledgeable about the car and that was a big factor for them. They appreciated me spending the time to educate them on the model and ive been helping a few of them vet other 997s.

Lastly, all the compliments I got on it made it harder to think about selling it. Even though its a just a 997.1 C2 its still a damn good looking 997.

Last edited by TheBruce; 04-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 PM
cab83_750
Intermediate

FYI, I have those 930 front and rear fenders primed and unused. I also have the rear windshield glass.

Just thought I would mention it in case you are now collecting pieces.

For some context, here is what I have been looking at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4dQre6Xcc

And then turning it into an IROC build like this :-) My wife says im f'n crazy...

Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,157 Likes on 3,924 Posts

I was reminded this morning I hadn't updated you guys on the latest.

In short, I pulled the plug on this plan. Work was getting in the way and trying to sell one plaything and and buy another was becoming too much of a distraction. The guy that wanted my car couldn't wait so bought another 997 in the east bay and the S I had been negotiating for in LA sold a few days after that. C'est la vie.

Anyway, when things settle down I still may look for a nice low mile .1 C2S or C4S. But the market is getting tighter and you need to move faster when a good one pops up. I found a 25k mile silver C2S with Carrera Sports in Santa Barbara offered at a reasonable price but it was gone in a day.

In the mean time im having fun with some new projects on my car. Changed the oil and replaced the strut mount this week.

One of the best things I learned from this experience is how easy it is to sell a 997. One craigslist ad generated 10 qualified buyers in 2-3 weeks. The first two guys I showed the car to gave me offers at list. 4-5 more want me to email them if I decide to sell. I turned the ad off because I was getting too many emails. The funny part is during both of the test drives I had guys yell "nice car" or give me a thumbs up at a stop light. The buyers asked if I got that everyday...I told them yes :-)

I also realized the real buyers are buying you, not the car. Every guy that contacted me said it was obvious from my listing I was passionate and knowledgeable about the car and that was a big factor for them. They appreciated me spending the time to educate them on the model and ive been helping a few of them vet other 997s.

Lastly, all the compliments I got on it made it harder to think about selling it. Even though its a just a 997.1 C2 its still a damn good looking 997.

I was wondering why no posts about the new car. Thanks for the update. You know the clear side markers you buy for this car will fit the next one too, right
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
all this talk about getting an air cooled is making me think. I'd probably regret selling my GTS but I mostly look at 964s and 993 on instagram and don't recall catching myself oogling a 997 much. this forum is a money spending catalyst like no other.
I do the same but gravitate to 964's. I won't sell the GTS but would like to add a 964 in the future. There's just something about them.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,157 Likes on 3,924 Posts

I would love a '94 3.6 Turbo - same model in the 1st Bad Boys movie. I actually looked at and drove one that was for sale for $50k when I eventually bought my silver 997. I wanted something that felt a little more modern. I'm glad I have the silver 997 as it's my favorite of my cars, but kick myself every day for not buying that one too. It was dark metallic grey over black.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Bruce! Sorry those deals fell through. I had something similar happen in the beginning of my search. It was a kick to the gut for sure, but with a little patience I found "the one" not too long after. I know the draw and feeling of nostalgia for the air-cooled models. 993 or 964 is what I frequently scan the classifieds for. I love the front torpedo wings of the 964, but prefer the rear view of the 993. The grass always seems greener on the other side, but I think at some point the honey moon is over a bit no matter what you own. That's why doing a little mod here and there keeps things interesting in the mean time. I think the market is softening a bit on some air-cooled models, but the good ones, no matter the model, always get snatched up pretty quick. keep us posted if anything changes
Old 11-12-2018, 02:18 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Bruce, when you decide to sell your car PLEASE contact me and I will pay you cash. Love your post and remember I am a fellow rennlister.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:11 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Ah ****...I'm back at it. Need some help from the RL community to see if I've gone off the deep end. My wife is being supportive, as she always is, with her normal half amused, half patronizing "thats sounds like fun...". So, I need some "unbiased" opinions from the interweb on this one...

I put an offer on a 1989 G50 coupe this week. The owner is well respected in the local P-car community. He is selling 1 of his 3 air cooled 911s at the behest of his wife. He listed it for $47, I offered $40 and we are now at $42 depending on how the PPI turns out.

The car is in great condition mechanically and cosmetically for 110k miles. The interior is mint and has black leather Sport seats. Just a tear on the sunroof headliner than can be replaced and the armrest lid needs to be replaced. Its got a new clutch, RMS and starter. The Koni struts on 17" Starke Fuch replicas give it a perfect stance. Its Grand Prix White and been resprayed at some point. The paint is 90% very good with just some cosmetic issues on the front valence, side mirrors, bumper trim, and rock chips on the bumper. Those all can be fixed.

After my first 993 experience I drove it fully expecting to not like it. I figured I would check it out and had a 10% chance of moving forward. However it was a lot of fun to drive. Its no 997, not even by a long shot, but the ride is smoother than my 997 and the suspension is tight. We were doing 100 and I didnt even realize it. It doesnt have the immediate torque of the 997 but when its above 4k its fun. As others have said, its a very involved experience. You can have the same fun at 40 mph you get in a 997 at 80mph. I didnt get a chance to take it on any serious twisties. Thats the part that gives me some concern. I have 100% confidence the 997 will handle anything I throw at it. My 993 buddy told me the 997 is like driving a video game.

The car is currently murdered out with black rims and a tail delete. Unfortunately he sold the tail. He has another but its an early turbo tail thats pretty rare and not willing to sell it. Its not my look but but I saw a white 1989 G50 Club Sport with red rims and I'm smitten.

The plan is to do a Club Sport tribute: strip and powder coat the wheels red, add a tail, add the red side stripe, and fix any of the cosmetic bits. Its got a cat delete pipe thats not currently on it, I think some minor exhaust mods, and an open airbox to give it some more noise, but its pretty stock besides that. The plan would be to maybe due an exhaust and headers with a Steve Wong chip down the road.

The cosmetic transformation would be pretty easy. The wheels and side stripe are easy and cheap. The tail will be a little more of a PITA to source and paint match. My auto body guy quoted $700 for the valence, tail and bumper if I did the installation. He did have concerns about the newer paints reacting with the older paints, but since this was resprayed hopefully thats not as much of an issue. The fitment on the bumper trim and rubber accordions isn't aligned in places. Stuff like that drives me crazy but looks relatively easy to fix.

The real issue with this whole plan is I would have to sell my 997. I dont have garage space for both and I'm not going to leave one on the street. That really, really would bum me out because my 997 is perfect, too perfect. It doesnt break enough and i'm bored again and looking for something I can enjoy and build value in. I like the fixing part as much as the driving part.

So what says you all...? Send in your vote.

Last edited by TheBruce; 08-29-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 729 Posts

If you move on this I'll raise my hand to help with the mods where I can. The garage is always open 8)

But what driving are you planning? Trips down the coast with family in tow for a beach day may not work so well ... Although the dreaded English car could be substituted (might not be nearly as rewarding!!!).

Then again it sounds like you'll derive other pleasures from the air cooled and have time to spend with the kids working on it (pool is also open for those days you borrow the garage here).

I don't suspect handling is the concern ... Not mentioning names but I've been with air cooled cars that had no problem hanging in.

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?