Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 deal closed! So how rare is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:12 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 997.2 deal closed! So how rare is it really?

Some of you may have noticed a 997.2 GTS that popped up at an interesting price recently. Hi - I'm Mr. Pending. Except Mr. Pending is now Mr. 997.2 Owner (pending some additional work before delivery.)
YAY!

Except for, uh, one little rub. Well okay it's a rub that keeps coming up. See, every conversation about the car goes like this: "2012 Carrera 4 GTS." 'Ok. Carrera 4 S.' "No, Carrera 4 Gee Tee Ess. Not S. Gee Tee Ess." 'Doesn't exist.' "I assure you, it does." 'Our system says it doesn't.' "Here's the VIN." '911 unknown trim?' "Sure. Fine. Whatever."
Email my Porsche guy. 'GTS? Sweet.' "No, C4GTS." '... you got a cab?' "Nope." 'Oh, so PDK?' "Also a no." '... are you sure?' "Yep. Here's the VIN." '... huh.'
Seriously. Everybody I talk to, their systems all say: no such car exists. Except for PCNA. Who says "yep! And they ticked damn near every single option box except PTS and Burmester too!"

Is the C4GTS coupe really that rare, especially the manual?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Not sure how rare but Sonnen had a black one when I was looking. That short test drive convinced me that i wanted a 6MT instead of pdk. So glad i did that test drive

Edit: It was new and in the fall of '12 IIRC.

Last edited by dasams; 07-27-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

I see one in my neighborhood fairly often. A red coupe.

Congrats on your purchase. Great car.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by dasams
Sonnen had a black one when I was looking. That short test drive convinced me that i wanted a 6MT instead of pdk. So glad i did that test drive
Ha! It was the white C2GTS that Porsche North Olmsted had (shout out to Ken for being helpful and patient with a Porsche newbie) that convinced me a C2S wasn't going to cut it and whoever did the 991's steering had no business doing it. The 6MT was a foregone conclusion the second someone told me 'donut mode' for the GT3 only came in the 991.2. Some of us actually know how to use the clutch, damnit!

But the one at Sonnen must have been ages back if it was a C4GTS coupe. I know they had a C4GTS cab - but "no drop tops on the black top." This is the only C4GTS coupe I've seen offered up period in the past 4 months minimum, much less manual.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I see one in my neighborhood fairly often.
It doesn't have Texas plates, does it?

I'm just kind of flabbergasted that after all the looking and digging I've done, I've seen pictures of exactly four C4GTS coupes period, and damned if I can find a breakdown past '1321 C4GTS coupes.'
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by rootwyrm
Ha! It was the white C2GTS that Porsche North Olmsted had (shout out to Ken for being helpful and patient with a Porsche newbie) that convinced me a C2S wasn't going to cut it and whoever did the 991's steering had no business doing it. The 6MT was a foregone conclusion the second someone told me 'donut mode' for the GT3 only came in the 991.2. Some of us actually know how to use the clutch, damnit!

But the one at Sonnen must have been ages back if it was a C4GTS coupe. I know they had a C4GTS cab - but "no drop tops on the black top." This is the only C4GTS coupe I've seen offered up period in the past 4 months minimum, much less manual.

It doesn't have Texas plates, does it?

I'm just kind of flabbergasted that after all the looking and digging I've done, I've seen pictures of exactly four C4GTS coupes period, and damned if I can find a breakdown past '1321 C4GTS coupes.'
Nope. Colorado plates. It has the factory aero kit too, which is cool. I don’t know the owner.

I’ll try to snap a photo the next time I see it.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 AM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C

Nope. Colorado plates. It has the factory aero kit too, which is cool. I don’t know the owner.

I’ll try to snap a photo the next time I see it.

Oh gods, yes please!! I'm seriously debating the rear kit. (Obviously stashing the original parts somewhere safe.)
The fact that it ISN'T up for sale also tells me I definitely made the right choice. My hunch is that the very few people who secured these, are very unwilling to part with them. Unless they can get something much better in the trade. Like a 997.2 Turbo or GT3RS. (Come on guys. Can we please keep those depreciating?)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Some of you may have noticed a 997.2 GTS that popped up at an interesting price recently. Hi - I'm Mr. Pending. Except Mr. Pending is now Mr. 997.2 Owner (pending some additional work before delivery.)
YAY!

Except for, uh, one little rub. Well okay it's a rub that keeps coming up. See, every conversation about the car goes like this: "2012 Carrera 4 GTS." 'Ok. Carrera 4 S.' "No, Carrera 4 Gee Tee Ess. Not S. Gee Tee Ess." 'Doesn't exist.' "I assure you, it does." 'Our system says it doesn't.' "Here's the VIN." '911 unknown trim?' "Sure. Fine. Whatever."
Email my Porsche guy. 'GTS? Sweet.' "No, C4GTS." '... you got a cab?' "Nope." 'Oh, so PDK?' "Also a no." '... are you sure?' "Yep. Here's the VIN." '... huh.'
Seriously. Everybody I talk to, their systems all say: no such car exists. Except for PCNA. Who says "yep! And they ticked damn near every single option box except PTS and Burmester too!"

Is the C4GTS coupe really that rare, especially the manual?
They are not rare, just not too many on sale. Congrats.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:15 AM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Boy is that the truth! Thanks!
Best part? This is my first Porsche.

Downside: it's my Porsche. How many miles before I can justify taking it to my machine shop to perform unlicensed heart surgery?
Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Don't have the exact numbers but definitely fewer 4GTS's produced than the RWD GTS. Why? I can only guess and my guess is that a 4 GTS is basically a C4S with CL wheels (in most cases), X51 and some other nice bits and pieces. That's what made the "regular" 997 GTS special. Only 997 wide body with rear wheel drive except for the super cars GT3RS and GT2.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:49 AM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Don't have the exact numbers but definitely fewer 4GTS's produced than the RWD GTS.
Yeah. They're actually fairly rare - 1,321 examples. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-numbers.html
But no breakdown of manual versus PDK to be found.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Yeah. They're actually fairly rare - 1,321 examples. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-numbers.html
But no breakdown of manual versus PDK to be found.
Yes....rare at 1,321. It's nearest competitors, C4 and C4S were built in 10,936 examples combined.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-numbers.html
Old 07-28-2018, 09:33 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Dude, post pic! SICK ride.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Rarer that turbos . . . and GT3s . . . If you have factory aero, you have a very desirable car, especially in white. That is what I am looking for in white or black.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Not sure how rare but Sonnen had a black one when I was looking. That short test drive convinced me that i wanted a 6MT instead of pdk. So glad i did that test drive

Edit: It was new and in the fall of '12 IIRC.
I drove this same car & also confirmed that for my use, 6MT was best.

That said, the basalt black was special & the rarefied nature of the C4GTS has been confirmed.

OP: congrats on the new ride & enjoy her in the best of health!
Old 07-28-2018, 01:19 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
Rarer that turbos . . . and GT3s . . . If you have factory aero, you have a very desirable car, especially in white. That is what I am looking for in white or black.
No factory aero, alas. And black on black (pretty sure Porsche didn't build a single coupe in midnight blue, which is frustrating.) But it has pretty much everything else. Bose, heated and ventilated 12-way seats, ParkAssist, PDLS, Sport Chrono Plus, PCM 3.0 with factory XM, Multi-Function wheel, full leather interior, painted side skirts, and silver wheels.

Thanks for all the well-wishes! Since she's not under my hot little feet yet (you can tell this because I'm here and not driving the last off the tires) is it OK to share the dealer pictures?

Quick Reply: 997.2 deal closed! So how rare is it really?