Sponsored by:

Loudness of 997.2 PSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Loudness of 997.2 PSE

I recently traded in a 2015 Boxster S manual equipped with PSE, for a 2012 911 GTS manual likewise equipped with PSE. On the Boxster the PSE was quite loud (maybe enhanced by the intake sounds since the engine is right behind you) in the GTS, even with the top down, the PDE is only a bit louder than non-PSE and way way quieter than the Boxster (even taking into account rear engine location). So my question is if this is normal, or maybe the valves on the PSE are not opening fully. I have a service appointment next week and I am going to mention this, but I will appreciate input from the members. Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

I've a .2 PSE and like you, I find the differences between on/off to be very subtle - and I know if I paid $2,800 for PSE (when new), I'd have been seriously disappointed.

Yet... to a colleague of mine (when listening to my car), he thinks the differences are significant. He literally thinks it sounds way louder with PSE on.

So I think there's real perceptual differences from person-to-person when it comes to how these things sound.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Apples to oranges, but I just put Fister mufflers on my .1 S, which supposedly emulate PSE. It's WAY louder. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

My wife and I thought the GTS, even with PSE, was too quiet, but I came out of a 996GT3 with Cargraphic mufflers. I installed a SW center muffler delete pipe. Woke things right up! Big difference. When I crank it on in the garage even with the garage door open, the exhaust sounds good. When I open up the PSE, even better.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by NC3Pedal
I recently traded in a 2015 Boxster S manual equipped with PSE, for a 2012 911 GTS manual likewise equipped with PSE. On the Boxster the PSE was quite loud (maybe enhanced by the intake sounds since the engine is right behind you) in the GTS, even with the top down, the PDE is only a bit louder than non-PSE and way way quieter than the Boxster (even taking into account rear engine location). So my question is if this is normal, or maybe the valves on the PSE are not opening fully. I have a service appointment next week and I am going to mention this, but I will appreciate input from the members. Thanks
I know nothing about the Boxster. Does it have a center muffler like the 997.2? The large center muffler on the 997.2 is very restrictive and has to go. Get rid of that if you haven't already and you should have no further complaints. Sharkwerks, Fabspeed and Billy something make the x-pipes that replace the center muffler.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:04 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I recently bought a C4S with PSE. It is a bit louder, maybe 20%, vs non-PSE. I also own a C2S with Fister mufflers and SW bypass pipes. The latter is much, much more aggressive. I can't say what the Fister cans w/o bypass pipes would sound like, but if they are even 50% of the combo sound, I would opt for that over PSE.

The C4S with PSE just isn't that aggressive; it needs more...something

We had a Boxster S with PSE, and it sounded pretty good with the top down. My wife's 991.1 Cab C2S with PSE is much louder however.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:32 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NC3Pedal
As many already mentioned. I also have PSE and a 997.2 C2S. Installed x-pipes (Sharkwerks) that replace the center muffler. Made a big difference and not overly loud, but much more aggressive sounding with PSE on, or off. A good combination to better the exhaust note on a 997.2. Overall, these engines in stock form seem to run quieter than 997.1's and Boxster engines.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just unplug the vacuum actuator in engine bay (located on top right as you face engine). Takes 10 seconds, no tools required, no cel, and it's free. That will get flaps to be totally open with no modulation from ecu which attempts to reduce noise in accordance to noise regulations. If you get sick of it, plug it back in. By the way, make sure flaps open and close with press of pse button as they are known to fail due to many reasons.

If you insist for more noise, I'd recommend sharkwerks center bypass but keep in mind, you will loose a bit of the buttery refinement your car has as is from factory.

good luck

Last edited by love2drive; 04-12-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 443 Posts

^^^ I got the chance to hear a GTS with PSE before and after X pipes (center muffler delete) in person, and it was a night and day difference (closed to closed as well as open to open). Similar to the 997.2 non-PSE with a Fister Sports Exhaust before and after a center muffler delete x-pipe, if you do not delete/bypass the center muffler, the sound results from the side muffler partial bypass is muted significantly. There are some youtube before/after of both. sound-wise, it seems like the PSE open and the Fister have similar noise characteristics, so before and after X pipes on either one should give you a general idea.

Last edited by jamesinger; 04-12-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo...as usual b/c iphone.

Quick Reply: Loudness of 997.2 PSE