Sponsored by:

Need advice purchasing my first 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:24 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice purchasing my first 997

I have owned a 1999 964 C2 cab 5sp and a 1999 996 coupe 6sp. I prefer a 991 pdk or 997.2 pdk cabriolet. I have several other cars but prefer to drive this one most days. Honestly, I love the connection with the car of a manual but just got tired of shifting in traffic. my wife may also drive it, she can drive a stick but would prefer an auto. my 996 had all the power I needed and was able to avoid tickets. I wonder if all that extra power is just unusable in reality. there are a ton on 997.1's in my preferred purchase range. lots of 997.1S. I only hear negative things about the TIP. I hear about dodgy electronics. I dont need NAV, I want sirius and bluetooth connection to my phone. I dont care about the rest of the electronic things. there just aren't that many CA 997.2 PDK cabs under 60k. I'd prefer to spend 40ish and be done. so what say you? It's a 60% daily car and I dont care about higher mileage. looking to buy a car this summer, hoping to get a car out of LA to drive the coast back to Northern CA.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

I would avoid the tip in favor of the PDK for a variety reasons, most of which you probably know already. But to accomplish that you will either have to increase budget or be patient. I would even suggest an M4 convertible, if that suits you. You would likely get a cleaner car with all the tech you need plus a dual-clutch tranmission.

As far as the usability of the 997, the power is well suited for street use. I don't think you'll need much more, but there's always the itch.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default PDK

i have a 997.2c4s cab - it does everything stunningly well. If your willing to look cross country and have it shipped and be patient with your search I bet you can get a very clean 997.2 PDK in the high 40’s, certainly low 50’s. I know people love manual transmissions on here but I found PDK so much more fun to drive...it’s that good!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:16 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a tip and loved it, then I drove a pdk and loved it more so I bought one. I would always look for a S car.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought my first Porsche about a month ago. Best advice I got, I got here. Figure out exactly what you want by going to see them and driving them. Have patience and don't rush into anything. Find the best car you can afford. Be prepared to pull the trigger when you find the right one. Worked for me. Happy camper here. RJ
Old 12-19-2017, 05:29 AM
Definitive Porsche Guides
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tiptronic is ok, it’s a decent auto, but it lacks the driver involvement and control of a manual (despite the manual control switches!). The PDK has proved so popular because it does combine the ease of an auto with exciting fast-change manual control via the tactile paddles, still not as involving as the manual but near enough a win-win. The 997.2 does demand a higher premium, but because it leaves the IMS issue behind and adds a host of improvements (see one of my earlier posts for a summary list) it will also retain good value come resale (ie you may pay more but you’ll also get more back come resale as demand is high for early .2’s).
But only you know what your budget is and any 997 is a fabulous car, take your time, test drive a few different 997 flavors, try the Tip and PDK. Key is a full service history and professional inspection. On the option front I appreciate you personally don’t want nav or a high end audio, but others likely will, come resale, so bear that in mind... a very base spec car only makes sense if the pricing reflects this. Invest in a good buyer’s guide and enjoy learning and reading up on all the models, quirks, options and model year changes..... of course you can’t beat the top advice from forum members, reading, posting, looking/searching and test driving is all part of the fun in finding your next slice of Pork, take your time and enjoy the process.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

S
Full leather
PDK, not Tip
Plusses if you can find them: PCCBs, adaptive sport seats, PSE, Sport Chrono
Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi RodSpradlin

C2S (+ Chrono Sport)
Sport seats - must
TIPTRONIC S 997.1 / PDK 997.2 - Depends on a lot of factors: Reliability, Condition, Price etc...
Bonuses: Full leather, PCCB, PSE etc...

TIPTRONIC S is TIPTRONIC S. A wonderful transmission system
It is not a traditional automatic transmission system.
As PDK (more advanced and smart) is not traditionally automatic.
The fact that TIP S is based on torque converter technology does not make it a standard automation. This is a transmission system with manual control (M and D mode). Such as PDK, F1, DSG, 5 / 7G-Tronic AMG, SMG, Touchtronic Aston Martin and others.

All have automatic mode with manual control (some more advanced, faster, more powerful, more reliable and belong to different periods) It is a matter of preference and it does not matter based on which technology the transmission system is being built (torque converter, dual clutch, single clutch F1, Etc.)
In the past they called it "semi-automatic."

Also in the TIPTRONIC S transmission system you have manual control and the possibility to drive in M ​​mode without the involvement of the computer (should know to drive it).
I agree that PDK "lives easier". Always fast. TIP S requires more involvement of the driver on the gas braking, brake and RPM (I am talking only about driving in manual mode)

PDK is amazing if you have the budget (it is advisable to purchase insurance).
If you are going for the TIP S, I would recommend you to look for just "S" + Chrono Sport (this significantly affects the map of the TIPTRONIC S)

All the years I drove a manual car.
Today, I drive the TIP S C2S with a sports chrono and sports seats and I'm very pleased.
If you press PSM OFF. The computer does not interfere.
I drive mainly in manual mode (Chrono Sport ON).
TIP S works great both in DD and on track.
TIP S is considered one of the most reliable transmission systems. Strong and fast (less fast than PDK).

I do not see myself without 997. An amazing car.

Every choice you make will be excellent.

If you want to expand. I invite you to read here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-vs-auto.html

Successfully
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

I live in CA so my concern to importing a car from another state is meeting emissions etc here. methinks its just better to buy a CA car....??
Old 12-19-2017, 03:04 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

I'm leaning towards a 997.1 S manual if I go that gen and the prices are quite attractive and you get a lot of car. pdk for 997.2/991. My self imposed budget for the PDK car would mean 997.2 S or 991 base. both great cars I'm sure.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by RodSpradlin
I'm leaning towards a 997.1 S manual if I go that gen and the prices are quite attractive and you get a lot of car. pdk for 997.2/991. My self imposed budget for the PDK car would mean 997.2 S or 991 base. both great cars I'm sure.
991 and 997 These are completely different cars. The pdk at 991 is more advanced than 997.2.
I prefer 997. Hydraulic steering wheel. Suitable size. More 911...
Of all the alternatives you suggested, I was looking for 997 manual (997.1 / 997.2).
Old 12-19-2017, 03:41 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

wow, read the MT vs TIP/PDK. it's a dizzying argument. here's what I want...or think I want . I want to drive my exceptional car again. I love the 997/991 cabs. I want to enjoy driving the car and that doesn't mean shifting it manually. All of the discussions seem to center around manual shifting of the automatic trans. manual shifting of the car would happen rarely or for very short periods of time. on ramps, maybe some mtn driving. I really just want the auto car because the shifting in traffic sucks more than the benefit of having full control of the shifting of the car daily.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:50 PM
f911
Racer

wow, read the MT vs TIP/PDK. it's a dizzying argument. here's what I want...or think I want . I want to drive my exceptional car again. I love the 997/991 cabs. I want to enjoy driving the car and that doesn't mean shifting it manually. All of the discussions seem to center around manual shifting of the automatic trans. manual shifting of the car would happen rarely or for very short periods of time. on ramps, maybe some mtn driving. I really just want the auto car because the shifting in traffic sucks more than the benefit of having full control of the shifting of the car daily.
Yap
Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

At that point, it's a use argument more than anything else. I must have a MT because I only use my car for pleasure, even if that is to and from work. It is not an appliance, but that use is a-ok too.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Excusem3
Instructor

I had my MT 997 delivered from Tennessee a while back. Luckily, the car was originally from CA, so CA emission's regulation was not a factor. I chose a MT because as many have stated, the car was for pleasure, weekend warrior, and occasional track days. Good luck finding the right car for you.

Quick Reply: Need advice purchasing my first 997