Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
how much money do you want to spend?

I use a cheapo "foam cannon" off amazon with the 2 bucket technique. It works ok I guess, whatever. I know that there are the ones done by Obsessed Garage that are completely amazing but also completely out of my price range.
I haven't yet splurged on the MTM foam cannon, using a cheap one from Amazon. It doesn't work well enough to recommend but it does the job. I'll eventually upgrade to the MTM but it's not necessary. I think generally speaking if you lurk around the detailing forums long enough the foam cannons are largely seen as a lot of show without really adding a ton of benefit. For me as a weekend warrior, I like that I can suds up my entire car in under a minute and then move onto contact wash with added lubrication. Worth the $15-20 for the cheap amazon version just to test out and see if you like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ripking:
jamesinger (05-03-2020), VT Blue (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 11:03 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

^^^agreed. I also pay someone once a year to do a proper detail and my car lives in a garage. At work, I park underground too, so results may vary.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have always hand washed my cars. Just seen too many swirls and scratches from drive through car washes.

I have to wash early or late in the day to avoid direct sunlight and associated mineral deposits from the sun drying the water.

I don't use a pressure washer as I have seen the damage that can be caused over many years of boating (was a yacht rigger in a previous life...). Maybe a low pressure washer would be fine but my PW is way too powerful for the car (or boat).

I don't use buckets - just two microfiber mitts. One for cleaning the body and one for the wheels. I wet the mitt and then squirt car soap directly in it. Usually only have to do this twice. If the car was really dirty or has noticeable mud I will rinse the mitt out a couple of times during the body wash.

I use a separate mitt for the wheels. I agree that cleaning the wheels is a PITA and takes just as long to clean as the rest of the car. I can reach through the spokes of the wheels to get to most of the inner barrel and brake calipers ( with some blood loss) and then use a large wooden paint stirring stick to grip the mitt and clean between the calipers and rim. I also have a second set of wheels I use for the track so whenever I remove the street wheels I take the opportunity to thoroughly clean the inside of the wheels.

To dry I also use a silicone blade to squeegee most of the water off, starting with the roof and glass and then working down the body. I then come back with a good microfiber towel to wipe everything down and finally use the leaf blower to dry the wheels and tires, as well as getting excess water from behind the badges, front air ducts, side lights, rear lights and rear view mirrors.

I give the car a Zaino treatment (AIO, a couple of applications of Z2 with gloss enhancer in between coats) twice a year which lasts through a number of washes.

I hear frequent comments about how great the car looks, including folks asking if it is new.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:49 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
how much money do you want to spend?
I use a cheapo "foam cannon" off amazon with the 2 bucket technique. It works ok I guess, whatever. I know that there are the ones done by Obsessed Garage that are completely amazing but also completely out of my price range.
Thanks, James.

Originally Posted by Ripking
I haven't yet splurged on the MTM foam cannon, using a cheap one from Amazon. It doesn't work well enough to recommend but it does the job. I'll eventually upgrade to the MTM but it's not necessary. I think generally speaking if you lurk around the detailing forums long enough the foam cannons are largely seen as a lot of show without really adding a ton of benefit. For me as a weekend warrior, I like that I can suds up my entire car in under a minute and then move onto contact wash with added lubrication. Worth the $15-20 for the cheap amazon version just to test out and see if you like it.
Will take a look around and check out both cheap/starter and MTM. Thanks so much.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Thanks, James.

Will take a look around and check out both cheap/starter and MTM. Thanks so much.
Not sure what price range you are looking to be in with one. I purchased this from Amazon last year and I like it. It serves the fundamental purpose, is well designed, and made well. It is the same design as the one the Chemical Guys sell as their "TORQ Foam Blaster 6" (and I think the same people make it) - but it's quite a bit cheaper on Amazon ($39 Amazon vs $59 with the Chemical Guys.)

Anyway, if you're looking for a no nonsense tool that gets the job done without spending ridiculous money, this one may work for you.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Sigh, I’m hoping to get happy medium. Had great uncle who traded cars every yr. put newspaper on garage floor to eliminate dust. Would wax so often he’d wear thru the paint. Trade it in with 3,000 miles and worn out paint. Have golf buddy with 200,000+ Prius. Asked him what he does to car, said normal maintenance, nothing’s ever broke. Asked about cleaning, said it rains. Yes, he had never washed the car.
i’m not ****, but do keep hand washed and cleaned between washing. Clay/wax/top treatment twice/yr. Hate driving dirty car. clean wheels but don’t take off and clean so will admit they’re just ok Keep it clean and drive on! Hopefully I’m in between and at right level of analness lol.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:00 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

No tunnel wash for my Porsche.

My car is black and had lots of swirls in the finish as well as imperfections. I did two bucket all last year. I became very familiar with all it’s imperfections washing it by hand.

I just had a color correction and ceramic coating done to it. I grabbed a cheep ryobi 1900psi electric power washer and a cheap foam cannon. My plan is to add that into the mix and foam it up prior to agitation.

My car is not a daily so I anticipate being able to foam cannon and rinse from time to time.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:08 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Not sure what price range you are looking to be in with one. I purchased this from Amazon last year and I like it. It serves the fundamental purpose, is well designed, and made well. It is the same design as the one the Chemical Guys sell as their "TORQ Foam Blaster 6" (and I think the same people make it) - but it's quite a bit cheaper on Amazon ($39 Amazon vs $59 with the Chemical Guys.)

Anyway, if you're looking for a no nonsense tool that gets the job done without spending ridiculous money, this one may work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, Ironman, have put it in my saved list on AMZN. Much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
No tunnel wash for my Porsche.

My car is black and had lots of swirls in the finish as well as imperfections. I did two bucket all last year. I became very familiar with all it’s imperfections washing it by hand.

I just had a color correction and ceramic coating done to it. I grabbed a cheep ryobi 1900psi electric power washer and a cheap foam cannon. My plan is to add that into the mix and foam it up prior to agitation.

My car is not a daily so I anticipate being able to foam cannon and rinse from time to time.
You won't be able to foam and rinse. That's not the purpose of the foam. The foam is lubrication for agitation with microfiber mit/sponge.

Cw
Old 05-04-2020, 09:36 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
You won't be able to foam and rinse. That's not the purpose of the foam. The foam is lubrication for agitation with microfiber mit/sponge.

Cw
Im ok with this if it helps prevent swirls on the soft black paint
Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 AM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used a similar foam gun (as opposed to a foam cannon) for a few years and liked it. Easy enough to wash with the hose and get some decent suds in the car. Usually had a bottle of diluted soap to add to the gun prior to wash.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Foam Cannon I use is cheap, and works very well.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-07-2020, 01:48 PM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Always wash it myself. I did the ceramic coat treatment in March 2019 and it made the process simple, fast and amazing. Use the Avalon King ceramic coat and it is really cost effective. https://avalonking.com/ you can find all kinds of discount codes on YouTube.

This is what the coating looked like when I completed it March 2019

Old 05-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris.lorine
Always wash it myself. I did the ceramic coat treatment in March 2019 and it made the process simple, fast and amazing. Use the Avalon King ceramic coat and it is really cost effective. https://avalonking.com/ you can find all kinds of discount codes on YouTube.

Lovely color! Did you perform your own paint correction before doing the coating? I've been debating getting a polisher with all of this quarantine downtime I have.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TopKatz
Im ok with this if it helps prevent swirls on the soft black paint
TopKatz, this is exactly why I have honed my method... soft black paint! I'm constantly looking for ways to improve lubricity and reduce contact. Foam canon spray down followed by wash mitt soaked in foamy soap and lightly contacting the dirt seems to yield me the best results so far. I also switched to an air dryer so I don't have to contact the car again during the drying process. I believe this helps as well and any small water spotting left over I take care of with QD spray.

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?