Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You have to wash these cars, too ? If i had only known that.....
The following users liked this post:
heavysixer22 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:16 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
+1 on the RV filters. The first time I washed my 911 at home I was stunned at how quickly water spots developed and how bad they were, even though I did not wash it in direct sunlight and I tried to dry it off as quickly as possible.

I was looking into water filters specifically for car washing/detailing but they were very expensive and most were designed for wall mounting in a shop or garage. I came across a YouTube video with the RV filter hack and figured it was worth a shot. The RV filter probably isn't as good as one of those units that costs hundreds of dollars, but I will say it's probably about 80%-90% better than straight tap water coming out of my hose.

I bought the slighter larger unit but the filters are replaceable. I haven't tried the smaller, disposable units, but I read this one has a bit more flow for a car washing application.

Camco EVO Premium RV & Marine Water Filter
Years ago I had a switchable filtered nozzle and it had a low pressure flow when in filter mode. The process was to use unfiltered water with regular flow to wash and rinse the car then switch to filtered. The low pressure filtered flow was only used to rinse the car from top to bottom to flush the residual hard water left over from the wash/rinse. This worked very well.

I would imagine if you try to put a high pressure flow through these filters they won't be as effective. My filters are coming tomorrow so I'll give it a try this weekend and post results.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:30 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Was a big fan of this product. Worked really well so sorry to see it dropped by P&G.
tegraphile (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I never take my 911 through a car wash. I rinse the car well then hand wash with a very soft mitt. I wash the wheels with a separate cloth. I wash in sections and rinse often. I dry the entire car with a soft fiber cloth and clean the door sills. I keep the car garaged when not in use.

on a recent road trip I went to a hand pressure wash car wash a couple of times primarily to remove bugs.
Holy cow - looks like you drove thru a chicken coop.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:35 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieVan

Was a big fan of this product. Worked really well so sorry to see it dropped by P&G.
Yup, that was exactly the product I was referring to in my comment. Worked beautifully. The filter had a window that would darken as the filter was used up. As I recall the filters were pricey and didn't last more than ten washes or so, which was why it made sense to only use the filter mode for the final rinse.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I never take my 911 through a car wash. I rinse the car well then hand wash with a very soft mitt. I wash the wheels with a separate cloth. I wash in sections and rinse often. I dry the entire car with a soft fiber cloth and clean the door sills. I keep the car garaged when not in use.

on a recent road trip I went to a hand pressure wash car wash a couple of times primarily to remove bugs.
I try to avoid using a pressure washer - particularly under higher pressure. Sometimes when it comes to removing bugs as depicted above, you have to use pressure, distance with the wand, and duration of of exposure of the pressurized water to completely remove the accumulation. If you have PPF - high pressure is definitely not good as it can cause the PPF to lift at the edges. Even without PPF, I think the high pressure is not good for the paint.

One thought about techniques to get rid of heavy build-up of bugs like this that I use -

Wet down the area first with water. Then use a foam gun - shooting down the car with a soap that has a high degree of lubricity. Then let it sit for 5 minutes. Then shoot the area down again with the foam gun. Let it sit for 5 more minutes. The water and soap combination will emulsify the bug junk. You should then be able to remove all of the bug material without the need for a pressure washer - or - if you use the pressure washer, you can do so with much lower pressure.

Seems like you can spend ridiculous money on foam guns and other detailing paraphernalia. The foam gun that I like is very similar (I actually think it's the same one without the branding) that the Chemical Guys sell. Here it is on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Same one from Chemical Guys - but costs a little more:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/torq-fo...6/ACC_326.html

Really effective product. Made to last - all of the primary fittings are solid brass.

As far as soap for it - many choices available, however I like Mr. Pink. High lubricity. Concentrated. Works well in the foam gun:

Amazon Amazon

You don't need to use much of it to get results. pH neutral. Won't harm the paint, plastics, or rubber (even when used over time.)
ilovemaui (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I had a soap gun but it did not hold up very long. The paint color makes a difference in how I washed my vehicles. I used to own a black mercedes and no matter how soft the mitt or cloth it is going to leave hairline scratches. I used the soap gun and really lathered it up and used a soft lamb skin to wash it. I rinsed it very, very well with a hose without any spray, just right out of the hose so the water would not bead up. Then I dried it with a master blaster air dryer. Minimal wiping with a new clean fiber cloth. Never used the same cloth twice. Those clothes would then be relegated to be shop clothes. I stored the car in the garage with a cover on it. No matter how hard I tried I still had hair line scratches.

My gray car is much more forgiving. I love black when it is clean but a pain to take of. I have a black GMC AT4 pickup and it is dirty within minutes of washing.
Ironman88 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 04:19 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

After having several black cars and dealing with all of the extra steps and work it takes to try to keep them nice - I made a vow - NEVER again.

And then I bought another black car...

Old 07-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
After having several black cars and dealing with all of the extra steps and work it takes to try to keep them nice - I made a vow - NEVER again.

And then I bought another black car...

Looks very nice. SRT8?

BCM - Black Cars Matter
Ironman88 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

It's just a Summit. Does have a Hemi V8 though.
Highway cruiser. Surprisingly economical and not fussy to maintain.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:25 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Years ago I had a switchable filtered nozzle and it had a low pressure flow when in filter mode. The process was to use unfiltered water with regular flow to wash and rinse the car then switch to filtered. The low pressure filtered flow was only used to rinse the car from top to bottom to flush the residual hard water left over from the wash/rinse. This worked very well.

I would imagine if you try to put a high pressure flow through these filters they won't be as effective. My filters are coming tomorrow so I'll give it a try this weekend and post results.
The pressure isn't all that bad using the RV filter. I leave the filter installed throughout the process, although I know its' really just needed for the final rinse. I think the fact that I have two, 50ft hoses connected and run it from the opposite side of my house to reach my driveway is more a contributing factor to the water pressure I get from the nozzle. Thankfully I have PPF on the front and a ceramic coat, so I don't need high pressure to get bugs off, etc.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Polishing before Carpro c.quartz ceramic coat.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:09 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I think fussing with all the hard water stuff is unnecessary on these small cars that are pretty quick to wash and dry. Even with hard water / spots popping up on something you don't catch, if you go over the car with a detail spray, you'll be fine and you're adding another layer of protection.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tegraphile

Looking good, I'm planning to polish and c quartz in the next month or two myself. What do you do with the small areas around the decklid, do you have a 3" polisher?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tegraphile

Looking good, I'm planning to polish and c quartz in the next month or two myself. What do you do with the small areas around the decklid, do you have a 3" polisher?

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?