Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

+911

Originally Posted by NoCalC2S
I always hand wash my cars. It’s good therapy.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 AM
trnsfrank
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I have seen a lot of thread s son other forums about the poor work of cleaning services so I think it's really better to wash your car, especially is we are speaking about Porsche, at home. In this case, we control the whole process and you can use all possible chemicals. I've also read the article about Best TOP 10 Pressure Washers and I think to purchase one for myself and use it to clean a car. I think that Karcher is a good brand. In this case, I'll have everything to wash a car professionally at home and there will be no need t leave your Porsche at cleaning services with unknown persons.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Im in the military and move every few years so I cant really devote alot of money/resources to car washing equipment and most of the time I am renting a house or studio/apt so for now, I scout the area for the best quality and touchless car washes. Ill high pressure it spray it first, then run it through the highest package touchless wash (not the ones that you drive your wheel onto) then after that, ill pull it back into a bay, grab my mobile car wash bag and do a self dry/quick detail spray and clean the interior/wheels/shiny stuff my self. But, I do emphasize, scouting the area for the car washes lol... I will literally go to the wash, and watch the process, look up the materials/products being used first. That will normally cancel out about 9/10 car washes and leave me with 1-2 options lol. But, its 12$ for the wash and 1$ for the drying machines. So not bad.

All in all it takes about an hour. Once I settle down into a grown up house and all that, definitely high quality materials and washing compounds at my house.
The following users liked this post:
dgjks6 (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 12:29 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Totally do this myself. Never taking my car to an automatic wash. I don't know of a pure touch-less one in my area but even then, I don't know that I want my sealant / wax removed in the process either. A pressure washer does do a better job and seems to conserve water too but the noise sucks and sometimes, it's just easier to use the hose.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:41 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by trnsfrank
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I have seen a lot of thread s son other forums about the poor work of cleaning services so I think it's really better to wash your car, especially is we are speaking about Porsche, at home. In this case, we control the whole process and you can use all possible chemicals. I've also read the article about Best TOP 10 Pressure Washers and I think to purchase one for myself and use it to clean a car. I think that Karcher is a good brand. In this case, I'll have everything to wash a car professionally at home and there will be no need t leave your Porsche at cleaning services with unknown persons.
Suggestions on a pressure washer based on past experience (a number of years ago):
  • Honda engine, hands down if you're going gasoline
  • Buy one with a metal, not plastic, impeller. If the one you want has a plastic one, see if there's a metal replacement part...eventually, you'll need it
Like I said, this was a while ago and someone may have found a particular make/model they're really happy with that has little maintenance.

Last edited by VT Blue; 05-03-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:50 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Recently invested in a power washer and foam cannon. It's a little bit faster than a two-bucket system and a garden hose, but it's much more fun!
Old 05-02-2020, 10:56 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Just washed a few cars today. About to go out into the garage to wax one. I’ll switch between the foam gun to 2 bucket to 1 bucket depending on how lazy I’m being. With only 1 black car left, im a little less picky.

Neighbor was out too, pressure washing his entire car. I worry about that. Don’t even like doing it for wheels. Would rather just spend the extra time and do the wheels by hand even though they’re a pain.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Suggestions on a pressure washer based on past experience (a number of years ago):
  • Honda engine, hands down if you're going gasoline
  • Buy one with a metal, not plastic, impeller. If the one you want has a plastic one, see if there's a metal replacement part...eventually, you'll need it
Like a said, this was a while ago and someone may have found a particular make/model they're really happy with that has little maintenance.
I bought a Simpson 3200 with a Honda 200 motor from Sam's Club a few years ago and haven't done anything to it but oil changes. We use it frequently to spray the clay/mud off the MX bikes and wash the driveway, dock, back porch and steps every year. Those take about 30 running hours.

But I don't use it on the cars. Foam gun, clean water bucket, and hand mitt on the Porsches.

I did use the pressure washer and foam gun on the wakeboard boat today and the combo worked well.
VT Blue (05-02-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Great pressure washer - good balance of flow and pressure, great quiet pump/motor:
Karcher 1900 Karcher 1900

Old 05-03-2020, 12:12 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

PW is safe if water pressure around 1000PSI. On the Karcher 1900 the white 40deg nozzle gets you that. Simple test - feel the water fan with your hand 8 inches away - it should not hurt.

Last edited by ADias; 05-03-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:54 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

Obsessed garage has done extensive research/testing of the majority of available pressure washers. He also has a great methodology to car washing. I highly recommend his methods and suggested equipment. He is a member of the forum as well, although I don't know how much he reads or posts any longer....

Cw
VT Blue (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 02:32 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I use a combination of foam cannon and two bucket method. Car is black so it’s all about lubrication to reduce potential marring.

I use a 2300psi electric Ryobi washer with the kobrajet hose and mtm gun sold on obsessed garage. Car gets initial rinse, then foam cannon initial soap. Then I hit it with a very light agitation with a microfiber wash mitt using two buckets one with snow foam and one with clean water.

rinse after and then air dry with a metro vac Air Force blaster to reduce touching the paint during the dry phase. Turtle wax ice seal n shine every few months. so far so good with this method.

with so much downtime from quarantine I’ve been debating getting a dual action polisher and doing a full correction and ceramic coating.

just go leatherique in the mail today so doing a full seat treatment in the next week or so.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

2 bucket wash and foam cannon for me... Wheels have their own bucket and brush.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:01 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Which foam cannons do members recommend?

Thx!
Old 05-03-2020, 10:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Which foam cannons do members recommend?

Thx!
how much money do you want to spend?

I use a cheapo "foam cannon" off amazon with the 2 bucket technique. It works ok I guess, whatever. I know that there are the ones done by Obsessed Garage that are completely amazing but also completely out of my price range.
VT Blue (05-04-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?