Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

If at or need home I do it, as I like doing it.

If away i do I do a self car wash with the wand. Due to my travels I am rarely that far from home and don’t need an auto car wash. Very likely would never use an auto wash due to horror stories but admit it’s an over reaction and I don’t care if my car is clean or not, this waiting until I can get home and do it myself.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:44 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Hand wash...90 % of time. 2 bucket, blow dry and spray wax final wipe.

I will go through a touchless wash maybe one or twice a year if she just needs a quick bath for a night run.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Always hand wash it, either two bucket method or ONR. Twice a year I clay bar and use Klasse AIO and sealant. Always decline the car wash at the dealer.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone ever take the car to an automatic washer that also gets the under carriage? Having a clean under carriage is important in human to human relations and probably should have some significance in human/auto relations.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:13 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Since both the 911 and 997 are lower than stock height, I just hand wash if needed, touch less automatic (drive in/drive out) without those rails and coined self wash occasionally so I can spray the undercarriage. I tried clay bar on the 911 a few years ago, the guards red really popped out well. Oh I clean the interior maybe twice a year with Mother's leather clean and condition stuff so it doesn't dry up and crack.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM
kalanioc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Every single day.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:18 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Does anyone ever take the car to an automatic washer that also gets the under carriage? Having a clean under carriage is important in human to human relations and probably should have some significance in human/auto relations.
I take my cars to an automatic car wash that I have been going to for 30 years. I have them detailed at least once a year and give them an additional waxing as needed. I have never had an issue with how the finish looks. I believe if you buy a quality car, you should keep it looking and running good. But, I don't obsess about any car. If somebody offered me more than what I have invested in my C2S, I'd sell it in a heartbeat (well, maybe not, but that's another topic).
Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hand wash - foam gun, 2-bucket with grit guards and chenille wash mitts (one for car, one for wheels). Wheel woolies too.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM
nougat
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is Basalt Black Metallic, so if you sneeze anywhere near the car, it will get swirl marks. I try to wash it myself at least once every two weeks. My process is: (1) power spray; (2) foam cannon; (3) power rinse; (4) two bucket wash mitt; (5) microfiber or wooly brush on wheels; (6) hose rinse; (7) microfiber dry. It takes about 45 minutes and I enjoy doing it.

About 8 months ago, I did a paint correction with a DA polisher and followed with McKees paint coating that took at least 6 hours. I did not enjoy this. The coating was really easy to apply and worked really well for the first 6 months, but is starting to fade. I'll probably do it again in a few months. I might try a ceramic coating to see if it lasts longer than the McKees.

For the convertible top, I recommend the RaggTopp kit that includes cleaner, protectant and a brush. Make sure you mask the paint really well before spraying the protectant, because the overspray is hard to get off paint. I did this 8 months ago and the top still looks great and beads nicely.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Those automated car washes with the under carriage spray are not going to do much given the underbody trim panels in place. Just like the exterior body, you're going to have do it right and not halfa*s. Put it on a lift, remove the underbody panels, steam and then grease it.

San Diego Engine Steam Cleaning

ENGINE STEAM CLEANING – High pressure engine steam cleaning, whether you are looking for a hard to find oil leak or just want the grease and grime from years past to be steamed away. Our ASE Certified team of technicians at John’ Foreign Car Service can help! Pricing for upper & lower engine steam cleaning is $195.00 and for the lower engine only is $135.00. Depending on the vehicle, we allow 1 – 2 hours and this is by appointment. Call for a quote today for pricing of steam cleaning the drive train and chassis, or other specific areas.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:22 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, for drying, the large Griots PFM drying towels are awesome (a bit expensive, but really work), just lay the towel on the panel and gently pull it. I can get my whole care done with one towel plus minimal risk of scratching. Plus use a blower for mirrors, jams, wheels. etc. Agree with Nougat, about 45 minutes and good therapy.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
Always hand wash it, either two bucket method or ONR. Twice a year I clay bar and use Klasse AIO and sealant. Always decline the car wash at the dealer.
I usually decline the dealership wash also but the last service they kept my car for a week and most of the time it was outdoors, so I had them wash it. WOW it looked great I almost asked if I could get monthly wash card like quick quack. Really impressed with the wash and it showed me I'm not doing something right, and after reading most of these post I know what it is. I hate to wash cars, should never have bought a black car.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Those automated car washes with the under carriage spray are not going to do much given the underbody trim panels in place. Just like the exterior body, you're going to have do it right and not halfa*s. Put it on a lift, remove the underbody panels, steam and then grease it.

San Diego Engine Steam Cleaning

ENGINE STEAM CLEANING – High pressure engine steam cleaning, whether you are looking for a hard to find oil leak or just want the grease and grime from years past to be steamed away. Our ASE Certified team of technicians at John’ Foreign Car Service can help! Pricing for upper & lower engine steam cleaning is $195.00 and for the lower engine only is $135.00. Depending on the vehicle, we allow 1 – 2 hours and this is by appointment. Call for a quote today for pricing of steam cleaning the drive train and chassis, or other specific areas.

Not sure if this is your business or just one you use, but you have to be very careful either pressure-washing and or steam-cleaning engine components. The waterproof seals used for many of the electrical connectors are not designed to withstand high-pressure spray or the speed at which water molecules are moving in steam, and you can actually force water inside the connections. The results may not be immediately apparent but can result in tough to diagnose intermittent issues, internal corrosion, or short-circuits when everything on the outside looks fine and shiny. Best thing to use is your hand with a rag and your favorite aluminum safe cleaner or P21 all-over Motorcycle engine detail spray that you rinse off with nothing stronger than hose water, and even then there are components that should be covered with plastic to prevent water from getting in.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not sure if this is your business or just one you use, but you have to be very careful either pressure-washing and or steam-cleaning engine components. The waterproof seals used for many of the electrical connectors are not designed to withstand high-pressure spray or the speed at which water molecules are moving in steam, and you can actually force water inside the connections. The results may not be immediately apparent but can result in tough to diagnose intermittent issues, internal corrosion, or short-circuits when everything on the outside looks fine and shiny. Best thing to use is your hand with a rag and your favorite aluminum safe cleaner or P21 all-over Motorcycle engine detail spray that you rinse off with nothing stronger than hose water, and even then there are components that should be covered with plastic to prevent water from getting in.
I absolutely agree, these guys know what they are doing. I have no affiliation with them other then that I've used to them to before.

There's a reason why CA cars are so clean... because we clean them inside and out.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karl1672
BTW, for drying, the large Griots PFM drying towels are awesome (a bit expensive, but really work), just lay the towel on the panel and gently pull it. I can get my whole care done with one towel plus minimal risk of scratching. Plus use a blower for mirrors, jams, wheels. etc. Agree with Nougat, about 45 minutes and good therapy.
+100

I bought one at the PCASDR Griot's Tech Session and it's well worth $36. 2 pulls across the frunk, 2 across the roof, 1 pull across the tail, 1 pull for each fender, door and quarter. A few quick swipes across the lights, mirrors, bumpers and it's dry. Being 36"x24" is awesome and it only takes 1 pull since it doesn't leave any water streaks.

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?