Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Question for those with 996TT, Techart Type 1, Shnell, or Strosek Wing:

Do you also have a 4" e-Ram kit?
Or am I going to be the first?

If you have both an aftermarket wing and 4" rams, how much gets blocked in the rearview mirror?
I can't answer your question, but by coincidence I went out the car with a close friend early this morning, to give him a chance to drive my new acquisition. He is a former owner of an air cooled 911, that was from the 90's (not sure which series). Family circumstances (2 kids) forced him to sell the Porsche for a more practical car.

My friend thought that my 996TT was great; he really enjoyed driving it. We got to talking about the spoiler and he thought it was laughable that I would even be thinking about the spoiler going up and down with the sort of driving he expects I'll subject it to. He did comment that the view out the rear view mirror was unobstructed, and he would be less than excited about blocking part of it with a deployed spoiler, especially given the size of the aftermarket spoiler on the car now. He thought I should just leave it as is.

I do think that the electric ram thing is very cool, however. Something else to spend money on, as if I don't already have enough things like that.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:34 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Somebody wanna PM me when this thread has run it's course?
It will never "run its course," because it will just drop down the page and then in a few weeks or months someone will find it on a google search and bring it back up to the top, like an ancient curse.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
He did comment that the view out the rear view mirror was unobstructed, and he would be less than excited about blocking part of it with a deployed spoiler, especially given the size of the aftermarket spoiler on the car now. He thought I should just leave it as is
your "non deployed" fixed aftermarket spoiler is as high ( if not even higher? ) than the oem is, when deployed. there is no obstruction of rearview with the oem wing "up".
Old 06-02-2017, 11:04 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

It really seems to bother you that other people are posting on a thread that for some reason you disapprove of.

There are people who might be able to help you with this.
No, other people don't bother me at all, and I don't disapprove about their posts and opinions. On the other hand, I find your questions and theories on the borderline of being very ****. Just drive your car and enjoy. I guess you don't work and you must have a lot of time on your hands. Moreover, I see a great deal of your posts here and and on other BMW sites which I visit.

As far as needing help, I don't think I need any, but thank you. Maybe you do?

Must be nice to type drivel all day.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I'd like to know more, too, but asking people to "share their experiences" is inherently a subjective endeavor. I'm sure there are plenty of folks running GT2-style rear spoilers and stock front aero (because I see them for sale all the time, and they apparently haven't crashed yet) -- but that still doesn't prove that it's a good idea.
I did that. Kept the factory front spoiler and added a GT2 wing. I definitely could tell the front felt different. I changed to the front aero spoiler and now seat of the pants it feel neutral again. Maybe its just me wishing it did but thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by mffarrell
No, other people don't bother me at all, and I don't disapprove about their posts and opinions. On the other hand, I find your questions and theories on the borderline of being very ****. Just drive your car and enjoy. I guess you don't work and you must have a lot of time on your hands. Moreover, I see a great deal of your posts here and and on other BMW sites which I visit.

As far as needing help, I don't think I need any, but thank you. Maybe you do?

Must be nice to type drivel all day.
Internet forums depend on new people coming in all the time, because there is a lot of attrition and people either become bored with the general topic, feel like they have already learned everything they have to learn, or get tired of answering people's questions.

I have participated on many internet forums covering many interests over decades. I have never encountered as many disagreeable people, including you, as I have in my brief time on this Rennlist forum. There are, of course, some helpful and welcoming people as well, but this forum obviously has no moderation whatsoever, because I can assure you and others that your comments, and those of some others on this and the other spoiler thread, would not be tolerated on most boards I have participated in. The would not be tolerated from me, you, or anyone else.

I have a friend from one of the BMW forums who told me a few weeks ago, in person, that another member had wanted to meet him in person and he had decided he didn't want anything to do with the person because he perceived this other individual to be very unpleasant. It shocked him to say so, because in general the other people we know on those forums aren't like that. This was actually the first time I even considered that someone might approach me on that forum, ask to talk to me on the phone, or to meet me, and that I would refuse.

I am going to assume that most people who own Porsches are nice people, and the fact that they own expensive cars is no reflection on who they are. I would hate to draw any conclusions based on the very small sample of people I have encountered here.

What you don't know, and what you can't know, is that one day you are going to have an issue, a question, and you won't be able to figure it out. You will look for a solution and you won't find it. Someone else knows the answer but they either won't respond to your post because of how they perceive you, or they will have stopped participating on this forum because they no longer find it to be an enjoyable experience.

Honestly, I don't care what you do with your time, your employment status what you have, any of that. You just don't seem to have anything to offer, at least to me, so why would I bother?

I wonder how many other people you and others who behave like you here have turned off to the brand, or at least to participating in the online Porsche world. It's incalculable.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:47 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
your "non deployed" fixed aftermarket spoiler is as high ( if not even higher? ) than the oem is, when deployed. there is no obstruction of rearview with the oem wing "up".
I have never owned a 996TT with a functioning, OEM spoiler, hence have no frame of reference on that.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My GT2 style wing sits up about 8" when deployed with the factory lift. I has about 4"+ risers built into the bottom of the wing where the lifts attach. It does block a small amount of view but you can see above and below so no problem.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Internet forums depend on new people coming in all the time, because there is a lot of attrition and people either become bored with the general topic, feel like they have already learned everything they have to learn, or get tired of answering people's questions.

I have participated on many internet forums covering many interests over decades. I have never encountered as many disagreeable people, including you, as I have in my brief time on this Rennlist forum. There are, of course, some helpful and welcoming people as well, but this forum obviously has no moderation whatsoever, because I can assure you and others that your comments, and those of some others on this and the other spoiler thread, would not be tolerated on most boards I have participated in. The would not be tolerated from me, you, or anyone else.

I have a friend from one of the BMW forums who told me a few weeks ago, in person, that another member had wanted to meet him in person and he had decided he didn't want anything to do with the person because he perceived this other individual to be very unpleasant. It shocked him to say so, because in general the other people we know on those forums aren't like that. This was actually the first time I even considered that someone might approach me on that forum, ask to talk to me on the phone, or to meet me, and that I would refuse.

I am going to assume that most people who own Porsches are nice people, and the fact that they own expensive cars is no reflection on who they are. I would hate to draw any conclusions based on the very small sample of people I have encountered here.

What you don't know, and what you can't know, is that one day you are going to have an issue, a question, and you won't be able to figure it out. You will look for a solution and you won't find it. Someone else knows the answer but they either won't respond to your post because of how they perceive you, or they will have stopped participating on this forum because they no longer find it to be an enjoyable experience.

Honestly, I don't care what you do with your time, your employment status what you have, any of that. You just don't seem to have anything to offer, at least to me, so why would I bother?

I wonder how many other people you and others who behave like you here have turned off to the brand, or at least to participating in the online Porsche world. It's incalculable.
You know I tried to help you awhile back. Maybe you don't remember. You responded with a crude gesture which I found offensive. I find you very arrogant and disrespectful to others. You need to really look inside yourself and ask why are some people responding to you in such a negative manner.

Have some humility, and maybe you will be treated with some respect. I have been a member of this forum for over 14 years and I have never seen anyone behave the way you do. Think about it.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

It will never "run its course," because it will just drop down the page and then in a few weeks or months someone will find it on a google search and bring it back up to the top, like an ancient curse.
all the people asking you with indignation why you are talking about *it* ( whatever *it* is ) are all talking about *it*. that says *it* all ha! i still say, it beats an oil or spark plug thread.

your friend that made the comments about your fixed wing probably hasn't seen them since the 90's when they were introduced, and were not visible at all if electronically deployed. at least as i remember them, and i had a couple. many of us would park the car with them "up". although they were indeed a brand new "novelty" in 93, it was retarded, even then LOL.

so, if you ever see a guy in a 911 at a stoplight with a "movable" spoiler "up"? point and snicker ha.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:58 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by mffarrell
You know I tried to help you awhile back. Maybe you don't remember. You responded with a crude gesture which I found offensive. I find you very arrogant and disrespectful to others. You need to really look inside yourself and ask why are some people responding to you in such a negative manner.

Have some humility, and maybe you will be treated with some respect. I have been a member of this forum for over 14 years and I have never seen anyone behave the way you do. Think about it.
I have less than zero interest in ever interacting with you here or anywhere else.

And I don't need to think about that, at all.

Don't read my posts if you don't like them. I will, henceforth, not read yours.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:25 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
I went to get dynamat installed in the back interior of my car Tuesday. I noticed when I arrived at the place and looked in my rearview mirror to admire my Schnell aftermarket spoiler, that it was dipping to one side. Apparently one ram retracted and the other didn't when I slowed the last time. Didn't notice at all until I looked back there. So I guess the install of the e-rams I purchased a few weeks back now goes to the top of my to-do list. I've been holding off because the e-Ram kit install requires scavenging the twist-lock screws from the stock rams, which I would prefer not to do, and requires cutting wires and splicing into existing wires, which I also am hesitant to do, since I'm sure to pick the wrong wire even with detailed instructions.
Call me, I'll walk you through it. Really quite simple.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:38 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I have less than zero interest in ever interacting with you here or anywhere else.

And I don't need to think about that, at all.

Don't read my posts if you don't like them. I will, henceforth, not read yours.
People have tried, with more patients than I have, to answer your questions and you keep posting and posting and posting unprecedented amounts of nonesense in folllowup. You just got this car. This is a wonderful place to learn about it from enthusiasts who have owned the same car for 15 years.

But instead you are are being rude. You are exhausting everyone here. If one day you are looking to solve an issue, there's a good chance that, contrary to what you said above, no one will see your post because you will be on everyone's ignore list. No one has the time or energy for how you are behaving.

Take a step back and see if you can start over. The problem here is how you are behaving. It's not anyone else.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:03 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by BioBanker
People have tried, with more patients than I have, to answer your questions and you keep posting and posting and posting unprecedented amounts of nonesense in folllowup. You just got this car. This is a wonderful place to learn about it from enthusiasts who have owned the same car for 15 years.

But instead you are are being rude. You are exhausting everyone here. If one day you are looking to solve an issue, there's a good chance that, contrary to what you said above, no one will see your post because you will be on everyone's ignore list. No one has the time or energy for how you are behaving.

Take a step back and see if you can start over. The problem here is how you are behaving. It's not anyone else.
i completely disagree. he's just a guy that easily articulates his thoughts, and likes to type, and has found an audience..whether you, or i, anyone else here feels these thoughts and musings are with or without merit or even fully misguided! ( as i have at times ). it matters not! and be that, as it may...

if you ( or anyone else for that matter ) doesn't like what is ( or isn't being ) discussed? then either fish elsewhere, or go cut bait. seriously wtf and shaddup yer own self lol

neither you nor i are the self appointed or even group arbiters of what is ( or is not! ) worthy of discussion! and bit*hing about it incessantly, while following along with rabid interest, is at best disingenuous! and at its worst? completely hypocritical.

just move the **** on, if you dont like what you see. sheesh.

add: i am fully convinced that cheap porsches, give porsche owners ( at least online ) a bad name.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences