Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Why don't you and your new friend go find a room...
i'm just not a fan of internet bullying. we *all* snipe a bit from time to time ( not you of course ) but really, enuffz nuff. the guys asked about fkn wings is all. lol

btw and not for nothin..? he's no more a "friend" of mine, than you are. i see no reason for co-habitating.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:12 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My Turbo doesn't have an oil temperature gage and I can't obtain oil temperature via the data logger I use. The Turbo doesn't provide oil temperature via a standard OBD2 Parameter ID (PID) $5C.

Oil temperature may be available via some other query or possibly available on the CAN bus but I have not had the motivation to look into this further.

The Turbo coolant temperature is pretty stable compared to say my Boxster's coolant temperature.

Once I recognized how stable the Turbo coolant temperature is my interest in my Turbo's coolant temperature was more from the point of view of how long does it take for the coolant to get up to temperature from a cold start and in this regard it is like my Boxster in that it can take some time before the coolant is fully up to temperature.

While I continue to data log the Turbo I really don't view the data that often. Since my car is stock I trust that its oil and coolant temperatures will remain within acceptable ranges.
I'm surprised that any of the Turbos, in fact any Porsche, from the era of the 996TT would have been sold without an oil temperature gauge. BMW eliminated the oil temp gauge from the M2, and a lot of people were really upset, and we're talking about a car they started producing last year.

I'm not driving my Turbo today; it has the day off. I'm driving my only other car that anyone has ever noticed, my Clownshoe. It is similarly, an "ugly" car, or at least was thought of that way, like the 996's, when they were being sold. It's a bit surprising to me that cars approaching 20 years of age can still look more or less "new," and attract as much attention as they do. And you don't need to go very fast in them, to feel like you are driving something special.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:21 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I'm surprised that any of the Turbos, in fact any Porsche, from the era of the 996TT would have been sold without an oil temperature gauge. BMW eliminated the oil temp gauge from the M2, and a lot of people were really upset, and we're talking about a car they started producing last year.

I'm not driving my Turbo today; it has the day off. I'm driving my only other car that anyone has ever noticed, my Clownshoe. It is similarly, an "ugly" car, or at least was thought of that way, like the 996's, when they were being sold. It's a bit surprising to me that cars approaching 20 years of age can still look more or less "new," and attract as much attention as they do. And you don't need to go very fast in them, to feel like you are driving something special.
i love the look of 996 turbos and even more so the GT2. I think that they look great versus modern cars and even against the newer Pcars, with the exception of the 997 which I think is the best looking generation.

Most untrained eyes think that my car my car is brand new. They've aged well.

And you you might want to consider the placement of the rear wing, that the vents forward of it were designed to let hot air rise and not move cooler air downward, and that the only time the wing can impact any air around it is if the car is in motion which is also when the radiators are working beautifully, before you spend time contemplating the affect it has on engine cooling.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:16 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by BioBanker
i love the look of 996 turbos and even more so the GT2. I think that they look great versus modern cars and even against the newer Pcars, with the exception of the 997 which I think is the best looking generation.

Most untrained eyes think that my car my car is brand new. They've aged well.

And you you might want to consider the placement of the rear wing, that the vents forward of it were designed to let hot air rise and not move cooler air downward, and that the only time the wing can impact any air around it is if the car is in motion which is also when the radiators are working beautifully, before you spend time contemplating the affect it has on engine cooling.
The guy that sold me the car bought it from his seller without a functioning hydraulic ram, which had already leaked and been removed. That seller, the owner 2 people removed from myself, bought the cheap ebay kit for fixing the stock spoiler and had it installed when my seller bought the car from him.

My seller, for whatever reason, did not like the stock spoiler and decided to buy the aftermarket GT2 spoiler. He played around with the ebay mounting kit and concluded that even the lowest position was too high for the GT2 spoiler. He went to McMaster-Carr, which supplies industrial parts of all sorts, and bought a bunch of nuts and bolts and metal washers, and other hardware parts, and fabricated a mount that put the GT2 spoiler at a very low, fixed, position, which is where it sits now. He loved that spoiler :-)

He then decided that the stock wheels didn't look good with the spoiler, so he went out and bought aftermarket 19" wheels with Porsche crests and new tires, to match or go better with the spoiler. Did I mention that the guy loved that spoiler :-)

He gave me the OEM spoiler also, but I like what he came up with and from a functional standpoint everything seems to work. Everyone I know whom has seen the car thinks it looks fantastic. I have had a number of unsolicited comments from random people seeing me with the car parked at gas stations, stores, etc., which is not usual in my experience with my other cars.

At this point my best guess is that what this guy, my seller, came up with seems to just work. Maybe he got lucky, I don't know, but there certainly are no problems obvious in actual driving. The car is not stock, it has a stage one software tune, and this spoiler. I don't love modded cars, but this one seems to be the odd exception, for me.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i didn't know you could manipulate the height of a fixed wing gt2 spoiler. whether replica or not.

from what point is it height adjustable? you can add different wings ( eg a 997/strosek/t-art etc ) on oem rams.. but that one is news to me.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i didn't know you could manipulate the height of a fixed wing gt2 spoiler. whether replica or not.

from what point is it height adjustable? you can add different wings ( eg a 997/strosek/t-art etc ) on oem rams.. but that one is news to me.
This is the wing installed on the car (sales listing from internet):

I really don't know anything more about this thing than I have already posted. The seller of my car, who was very handy, came up with a way to mount this spoiler in the position he mounted it, which is what would be lower than stock using the cheap ebay fixed kit. I am sure that I could figure out how to take the thing apart and then better understand how he did it. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with how it looks so I'm not sure that I would want to do that!
Attached Images
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i think it might be the "angle" of the blade, rather than the height. but i'm not sure either as i dont have a gt replica wing

thats the same place i got my strosek wing from. they make good stuff as ( most ) aftermarket body parts go.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 AM
champignon
Pro

i think it might be the "angle" of the blade, rather than the height. but i'm not sure either as i dont have a gt replica wing

thats the same place i got my strosek wing from. they make good stuff as ( most ) aftermarket body parts go.
If I ever take that wing off, I need to be sure that my seller doesn't find out about it; I think he might decide to end it all :-)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

i'm just not a fan of internet bullying. we *all* snipe a bit from time to time ( not you of course ) but really, enuffz nuff. the guys asked about fkn wings is all. lol

btw and not for nothin..? he's no more a "friend" of mine, than you are. i see no reason for co-habitating.
Uh...you missed my point. 50% of the posts in this thread are yours and Champignon. Most of the others you find derogatory and unhelpful...so why don't you and "Champ" go find an internet chat room to have your discussion...
Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
champignon
Pro

Default From the Horse's Mouth

I took my car in to the Porsche Dealer today, the only one located in my state (Idaho) as far as I know. I went in to have 2 new keys made, which I had negotiated with them a couple of weeks ago, given the high price of these keys.

While there I have a nice conversation with the head of the Service Department, who brought in the head tech in the middle of the conversation.

I asked about the spoiler issue. Both of these gentlemen told me I should leave the aftermarket GT2 spoiler on the car, that they thought it looked good, and that there was no functional issue at all, and there would be no improvement in the car driven at reasonable speeds on public roads. I mentioned that I might occasionally get up above 100 mph and they thought there was no issue whatsoever.

The head tech said there was definitely no issue with engine cooling when specifically asked about that. He also said that last year at a road rally held in Idaho (not far from my primary residence, in the mountains), that the Porsche race team was present and was driving some of their cars. This is a rally where the public highway is closed off for 15 minute intervals, and people who register and pay to race, are allowed to go as fast as they want, on this closed section of road. The rally is a benefit for a local children's drug avoidance charity. The tech told me that the Porsche team got their car(s) up to around 180 mph and they intentionally de-activated the spoiler in the down position for this rally/race. This was on a 991 Turbo.

Both guys said the spoiler is a total non-issue for usage like what I and most people will do with these cars.

I was really impressed with this service facility, and the really good customer service they give. I have decided to take my car in there for its next service, rather than using the indie I was looking at using.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:53 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i wonder that possible motivation there couldve been for DE-activating a movable factory spoiler when anticipating hitting speeds of up to 180mph lol.

thats a head scratcher.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder that possible motivation there couldve been for DE-activating a movable factory spoiler when anticipating hitting speeds of up to 180mph lol.

thats a head scratcher.
Higher top speed on fairly straight sections. Downforce comes with more drag.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:24 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

The only issue is at speed the front may feel too light. Easily solved by putting a front spoiler from an aero kit car on.

I have a gt2 replica wing on rams that are manually adjustable in height. Set to the height you want and leave it alone. Sounds like we have the same set up.

I put the aerokit front on.

No no issues of any kind except the car looking too damn good.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the way to Malibu Cars and Coffee this last weekend, I got the infamous "spoiler malfunction" warning. I didn't expect that, since I removed the fuse with the spoiler in the "up" position. I don't recall the temp, speed, etc. at the time. Might have been when coming down to 37mph from freeway speed. I'll have to run a couple tests to see. Dave is probably wondering if/when I'll call for help installing the e-Rams.

EDIT: Spoiler Failure light comes on when I hit 75. It's already up, with the fuse out.

Last edited by mark_schnell; 06-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Uh...you missed my point. 50% of the posts in this thread are yours and Champignon. Most of the others you find derogatory and unhelpful...so why don't you and "Champ" go find an internet chat room to have your discussion...
i haven't "missed" a thing! but i have an even better idea!

why dont you simply go f*ck yourself?

backatcha kid.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences