Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i completely disagree. he's just a guy that easily articulates his thoughts, and likes to type, and has found an audience..whether you, or i, anyone else here feels these thoughts and musings are with or without merit or even fully misguided! ( as i have at times ). it matters not! and be that, as it may...

if you ( or anyone else for that matter ) doesn't like what is ( or isn't being ) discussed? then either fish elsewhere, or go cut bait. seriously wtf and shaddup yer own self lol

neither you nor i are the self appointed or even group arbiters of what is ( or is not! ) worthy of discussion! and bit*hing about it incessantly, while following along with rabid interest, is at best disingenuous! and at its worst? completely hypocritical.

just move the **** on, if you dont like what you see. sheesh.

add: i am fully convinced that cheap porsches, give porsche owners ( at least online ) a bad name.
just because you disagree doesn't mean that I'm not right. It's meant as advice for the new guy. He can take it and hopefully turn things around or he can carry on and see where it ends up.

either way, best of luck to him.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
just because you disagree doesn't mean that I'm not right. It's meant as advice for the new guy. He can take it and hopefully turn things around or he can carry on and see where it ends up.

either way, best of luck to him.
btw and not for nothin' that was a general statement that i felt needed to be made, ( and not to you personally as such ) you were just the latest to "pile on". but the volume and level of the vitriol, directed at the OP is in my estimation, completely disproportionate to anything he has said either generally, or to any individual...

and all you guys ( and not YOU per se, ) that keep talking about how "old school" you are and that HE, who is "new" ( among us perhaps but clearly NOT new to the world ) should somehow temper, tone down, or somehow mitigate the tenor of his opinions, is just a bunch of dr. suess "those with starz, VS those without "starz", bulls*it, and it pisses me off.

i swear, if this isn't online "hazing"? then i don't know what is.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People have tried, with more patients than I have, to answer your questions and you keep posting and posting and posting unprecedented amounts of nonesense in folllowup. You just got this car. This is a wonderful place to learn about it from enthusiasts who have owned the same car for 15 years.

But instead you are are being rude. You are exhausting everyone here. If one day you are looking to solve an issue, there's a good chance that, contrary to what you said above, no one will see your post because you will be on everyone's ignore list. No one has the time or energy for how you are behaving.

Take a step back and see if you can start over. The problem here is how you are behaving. It's not anyone else.
Unless you work in patient care, you probably don't have any patients.

Honestly, I have no interest in "starting over" with you or your ilk. The sort of answers that you can provide me with, I can easily google.

Many of the people who have been here a long time appear rather unwelcoming. I actually don't care, because I did not come here to be your friends, I came to learn things. I didn't come here to "fit in." I did not ask you for permission to join the inner circle of which you feel a part.

In all honesty, anyone with much of a brain can figure out most cars within a few months if they put much effort into them. I'm not speaking of doing mechanical work on them, which I would prefer to pay others to do, but figuring out how the various parts work and how to do this and that to them. If you are still here pouting around after all your posts, then perhaps it is you who don't have the ability or interest to explore new interests and to master them. I'll leave that to you to determine.

Again, I did not come here to meet you, and I did not come here to be your friend. If I need to learn something that you know, I can search the internet for it. I am much more interested in interacting with people who think creatively, out of the box, who are interested in considering things from angles that they haven't thought of before.

Which I do not think includes you, so please ignore my posts. You won't find anything interesting in them, and they will just aggravate you.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Hi,

Thanks very much for your very thoughtful response. I have read many of your posts on this board and you always try to be helpful, and to separate out what you know, and what you believe, think, or hope, to be true. That makes you a very good and trusted resource here, and very helpful to others.

Thank you for your time.

My car came with a Softronics Stage 1 Tune, along with a Durometric OBDII device with a USB port. It occurs to me that I might well be able to do some temperature datalogging myself, with the spoiler I currently have installed, and it might produce some interesting information.

Do you believe that the equipment I have, combined with a laptop, might be capable of doing this datalogging? Do you have any suggestion of software I might use, other than what I can download from the Durametric website? I have an older version of DPLOT, also, which I could probably coax my laptop into running in Windows Compatibility Mode.

Thanks!
I have no Durametric experience but what I think I know about it is it can data log but the issue would be the requirement to have a laptop in the car connected to the car. My work sometimes require I do this but I find it a bit of a bother/distraction to have a laptop open and working in the car. In the event of a sudden stop even if the laptop is on the floor there is the risk of damage to it.

With my two Porsches I data log them quite a bit and I use a plug in data logger that stores the data and then at some point I remove the data logger and read the data out at my desktop PC (at work).

This plug in data logger is very compact but is limited in that besides speed it only logs 4 other data parameters and only as fast as every 5 seconds. (speed can be logged at 1 second intervals). For coolant temperature logging 5 seconds ain't bad. Once the coolant is hot its temperature doesn't change that fast.

You would want to I think log not only coolant temperature but intake air temperature too.

(Years ago when I had my 2006 GTO there was some discussion about the whether there was any benefit to removing the rubber inserts from the hood scoops. I data logged intake air temperature and coolant temperature and drove the car over the same route with the inserts in place then with them removed. As best I could tell from the data I could see no difference.)

There are other data loggers that use a device plugged into the OBD2 port and then communicate via Bluetooth with a smart phone (or possibly an iPad) running a suitable application.

My advice would be to look into one of these setups.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:10 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

You're correct, if actual aerodynamic data and answers from people who have provided their relevant experiences have not answered your questions, then I'm sorry, I guess I will not be able to assist you.

I suspect that that'll be the case for all of the questions you will ask in the future for which you are also not seeking an answer but instead seek an outside of the box discussion.

And the answers to your questions can be found entirely by googling and searching this site. But again, google is insufficient for you because it's a discussion you want, not answers. Siri must drive you crazy!

Next thread: let's discuss whether round wheels are really better than wheels of other shapes. Only creative outside of the box responses allowed!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried square wheels once. Cornering power was awesome but ride sucked. Went back to round. Much happier
Old 06-03-2017, 04:26 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts

You're correct, if actual aerodynamic data and answers from people who have provided their relevant experiences have not answered your questions, then I'm sorry, I guess I will not be able to assist you.

I suspect that that'll be the case for all of the questions you will ask in the future for which you are also not seeking an answer but instead seek an outside of the box discussion.

And the answers to your questions can be found entirely by googling and searching this site. But again, google is insufficient for you because it's a discussion you want, not answers. Siri must drive you crazy!

Next thread: let's discuss whether round wheels are really better than wheels of other shapes. Only creative outside of the box responses allowed!
Why waste your time responding? This guy is FUBAR.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyT
I tried square wheels once. Cornering power was awesome but ride sucked. Went back to round. Much happier
Me too.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I have no Durametric experience but what I think I know about it is it can data log but the issue would be the requirement to have a laptop in the car connected to the car. My work sometimes require I do this but I find it a bit of a bother/distraction to have a laptop open and working in the car. In the event of a sudden stop even if the laptop is on the floor there is the risk of damage to it.

With my two Porsches I data log them quite a bit and I use a plug in data logger that stores the data and then at some point I remove the data logger and read the data out at my desktop PC (at work).

This plug in data logger is very compact but is limited in that besides speed it only logs 4 other data parameters and only as fast as every 5 seconds. (speed can be logged at 1 second intervals). For coolant temperature logging 5 seconds ain't bad. Once the coolant is hot its temperature doesn't change that fast.

You would want to I think log not only coolant temperature but intake air temperature too.

(Years ago when I had my 2006 GTO there was some discussion about the whether there was any benefit to removing the rubber inserts from the hood scoops. I data logged intake air temperature and coolant temperature and drove the car over the same route with the inserts in place then with them removed. As best I could tell from the data I could see no difference.)

There are other data loggers that use a device plugged into the OBD2 port and then communicate via Bluetooth with a smart phone (or possibly an iPad) running a suitable application.

My advice would be to look into one of these setups.
Thank you.

I'd like to do this just to better understand the effect of a fixed spoiler such as I have on the temperatures you cite, air and coolant.

From your own observations, have you found any correlation with the oil temperature reported on the panel gauge? My oil temp never seems to go very much above 180, which is coincidentally how warm it has to get before the electronic oil lever sensor will give me a readout on the engine oil level.

Thanks,

ken
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

My oil temp never seems to go very much above 180...
You have an oil temperature gauge?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:47 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Say what? Chit, my TT didn't come with one. :mad
Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
wow. after all these years of being a d*ck! you've finally become a right c*nt!

what's next, gender re-assignment surgery? bruce?.. err, dock..?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
wow. after all these years of being a d*ck! you've finally become a right c*nt!

what's next, gender re-assignment surgery? bruce?.. err, dock..?
Why don't you and your new friend go find a room...
Old 06-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thank you.

I'd like to do this just to better understand the effect of a fixed spoiler such as I have on the temperatures you cite, air and coolant.

From your own observations, have you found any correlation with the oil temperature reported on the panel gauge? My oil temp never seems to go very much above 180, which is coincidentally how warm it has to get before the electronic oil lever sensor will give me a readout on the engine oil level.

Thanks,

ken
My Turbo doesn't have an oil temperature gage and I can't obtain oil temperature via the data logger I use. The Turbo doesn't provide oil temperature via a standard OBD2 Parameter ID (PID) $5C.

Oil temperature may be available via some other query or possibly available on the CAN bus but I have not had the motivation to look into this further.

The Turbo coolant temperature is pretty stable compared to say my Boxster's coolant temperature.

Once I recognized how stable the Turbo coolant temperature is my interest in my Turbo's coolant temperature was more from the point of view of how long does it take for the coolant to get up to temperature from a cold start and in this regard it is like my Boxster in that it can take some time before the coolant is fully up to temperature.

While I continue to data log the Turbo I really don't view the data that often. Since my car is stock I trust that its oil and coolant temperatures will remain within acceptable ranges.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences