Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:53 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
bad design premise?!? a *given, my ***!*. care to venture a guess as to how many 911's have been sold since 64/65?

these cars having been getting me laid since 69! so no design flaw here/there or anywhere lol. seriously though, i have no idea about that. its not like i've ever run off a 1000 ft canyon in the last 50 years, and lord knows I've tried lol..so perhaps rear engine driving is an acquired taste/habit. but it's not like this is a corvair.

so aside from the 5 911's i have been driving since i was an adolescent, and the 914 i almost self immolated inside in '75, ( while scrambling out the open top )..i have engaged in tailwag at nearly every opportunity since. whether intended to not.

so what i suggest you do to experience this infamous "taillwag", to have a more visceral understanding, and feel for the car; would be.. to mod the car as best you can, with some bolt on's, and remove the front diff, and make sure you have an lsd ( of one type or another ) and get on full boost around a tight right hander, punch it, and make sure the wheels pointed hard left, and cry baby cry..

this btw, is an example in which the spoiler in whatever position is completely unnecessary. because it doesn't help if and or when you are sideways.

for again, as rufus thomas so eloquently once put it: "if you don't know how to do it? i'll show you how to wag the dog".

but if you don't do any of that? you definitely don't, and possibly won't ever need a spoiler, working, fixed or not. but then i would then understand your questioning ( as i understand you? ) the necessity of a spoiler at all. unless of course you pass those cpl cars again at 100 mph
None of this is germane to the topic of this thread, however, since we are talking about getting laid and stuff like that . . . .

I have a few small and sporty BMWs, to which I have alluded elsewhere. Other than a couple of times at the dealer or when I had the tires swapped somewhere else, the only unsolicited comment I ever had on any of my cars was with my 18 year old Clownshoe Z3M Coupe, that got parked at a Trader Joes last year, and another customer chased me down in the store to tell me how cool he thought my car was. No one else ever seeing me in one of my other cars could have cared less, as far as I know. Actually, some guy commented on another one, at a gas station, but he didn't have any idea what it was, he just said it looked "cool."

Over the course of 5 or 6 days I drove the 996TT about 1150 miles, and 4 separate times people came up to me and told me that they thought I had a cool car. In all honesty, I think a lot of it was the "detestable" GT2 aftermarket spoiler that they were noticing, which personally I think looks cool as well. But I can't be sure that this was the reason. All I know is that 4 random people I never met came up to me and told me that they thought my car was cool, this 14-15 year old car with more than 75,000 miles on it, whose purchase price would not be enough to buy a mid-priced Lexus.

That is what I know, for sure :-)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Over the course of 5 or 6 days I drove the 996TT about 1150 miles, and 4 separate times people came up to me and told me that they thought I had a cool car. In all honesty, I think a lot of it was the "detestable" GT2 aftermarket spoiler that they were noticing, which personally I think looks cool as well. But I can't be sure that this was the reason. All I know is that 4 random people I never met came up to me and told me that they thought my car was cool, this 14-15 year old car with more than 75,000 miles on it, whose purchase price would not be enough to buy a mid-priced Lexus.

That is what I know, for sure :-)
absoutely, a daily occurrence i concur, but i cant be sure the gt2 wing was a contributant either lol. for contrast, in the last several hours here i have seen two 996 turbo's and one gt3 on the street that intersects my road.

996 turbo's up here are considered the appalachian equivalent of poor ***** trash. but by golly, we are fast, if not pretty.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:25 AM
champignon
Pro

absoutely, a daily occurrence i concur, but i cant be sure the gt2 wing was a contributant either lol. for contrast, in the last several hours here i have seen two 996 turbo's and one gt3 on the street that intersects my road.

996 turbo's up here are considered the appalachian equivalent of poor ***** trash. but by golly, we are fast, if not pretty.
My business partner is a young French guy who 10 years ago was my French teacher. He considers himself a French redneck, and delights in cooking barbecue and ribs for his friends who are fellow members of the great unwashed. After driving my 996TT, at about 110 on a 55mph roadway near our shared business house, he told me that it was "awesome."

These are the types of people I hang out with, former Subie salesmen and French rednecks :-) Most of the time I dress like a homeless person, and try to toe the line right halfways between eccentric and old curmudgeon.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:57 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Most of the time I dress like a homeless person, and try to toe the line right halfways between eccentric and old curmudgeon.
they are not mutually exclusive, just don't ask me how i know.

but..110 in a 55? man, up here, you would be taken away in cuffs by a forest ranger. but the curmudgeon thing, yeah, that i get

still i tell my gf that every vehicle here, is older then she is! ( well, almost ha ) still, she gives me wings. ..... spoiler alert!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:20 AM
champignon
Pro

they are not mutually exclusive, just don't ask me how i know.

but..110 in a 55? man, up here, you would be taken away in cuffs by a forest ranger. but the curmudgeon thing, yeah, that i get

still i tell my gf that every vehicle here, is older then she is! ( well, almost ha ) still, she gives me wings. ..... spoiler alert!
There is a short stretch of state highway, ~3 miles long near our house that is divided hwy and goes up to a reservoir. It is so twisty turny that it is really hard to do speed control on it. It is adjacent to the greenbelt and the river, with a bike path in between the hwy and the river that we frequently walk our dogs on. It is not at all uncommon to be walking there, minding your own business, when all of a sudden two STi's (or whatever) line up and turn it into a drag strip, usually when there isn't a lot of traffic.

Normally, I'd be really careful about that sort of thing. There is also a freeway exit not too far away that used to be a big box distribution center of some sort but now there is nothing there. Teenagers treat it like a race track. We test drove a 996 Cabriolet there a few months back and the owner took us there to try out the car. He said that they watch it closely on weekends, but during the week there isn't any use for the road so it goes pretty much unwatched. For the most part, though, speeding is not tolerated in these parts, either.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i understand, i also live in an area frequented by "sport" drivers and thousands of bikes. one of the canyons has sweeping stretches in which dummies often exceed triple digit speeds. i don't recommend it..

anyway, thanks for playing along and enjoy your 'partially' modded car lol
Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car list to starboard, on account of the dipping spoiler? Is it like one of those movies where the jet pilot has to increase power to one of his engines, to compensate for absence of "control surfaces?"

:-)
The only time it lists to starboard is when I step out of the car. I think it changes the ride height by 0.01 mm. This could have significant handling impact, so I intend to stay in the seat while driving.

Originally Posted by TommyT
Honestly reading the instructions was harder than the actual install. Just do it!

Yeah, but... removing fuse D7 was a lot easier... at least until I work up the guts...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Question for those with 996TT, Techart Type 1, Shnell, or Strosek Wing:

Do you also have a 4" e-Ram kit?
Or am I going to be the first?

If you have both an aftermarket wing and 4" rams, how much gets blocked in the rearview mirror?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Question for those with 996TT, Techart Type 1, Shnell, or Strosek Wingo you also have a 4" e-Ram kit?
Or am I going to be the first?
i have strosek w the oem rams and it limits visibility a bit when deployed ..i'd guess by an add'l 20%. it lays flush and resembles the techart when retracted.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

i have strosek w the oem rams and it limits visibility a bit when deployed ..i'd guess by an add'l 20%. it lays flush and resembles the techart when retracted.
I have the Schnell knock-off Techart Type 1 and same with OEM rams. Wondering what the extra 2" is going to block. I might have been foolish getting the 4", but I was thinking about all that extra potential downforce ... and didn't realize the aftermarket wing was so FAT.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
I have the Schnell knock-off Techart Type 1 and same with OEM rams. Wondering what the extra 2" is going to block. I might have been foolish getting the 4", but I was thinking about all that extra potential downforce ... and didn't realize the aftermarket wing was so FAT.
lol exactly

dave's 4" kit with the strosek or techart 1 would be the shizznit. i wouldnt worry about rear view vision being dramatically affected.

xlnt choice!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
docboy
Racer

*munches on popcorn*

Carry on...
Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by docboy
*munches on popcorn*

Carry on...
+ 1

Is the horse dead yet?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by mffarrell
+ 1

Is the horse dead yet?
It really seems to bother you that other people are posting on a thread that for some reason you disapprove of.

There are people who might be able to help you with this.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Somebody wanna PM me when this thread has run it's course?

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning or Modified Spoiler; Report your 996TT Actual Driving Experiences