Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:58 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rymerc
I got a response from him and decent but not great pics of the interior damage. It has walnut-sized paint damage on the bumper which was poorly touched up and what looks like 4" or so along the rear door edge that was damaged and poorly touched up as well. I asked for service records, and he vaguely said "the 60k service was done" and that's it.

Hope this helps
Did realize there was interior damage. Car sounds a little rough and in need of a thorough inspection.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by greencalex
To me, it is sort of a poker-game tactic.

The response that you get tells you something about the mindset of the seller.

The response you cite implies that you are willing to come down, and probably also view the negotiation process as a poker game of sorts...
Standard way of buying and selling cars I've done this on all my cars private and dealer sales and all have been successful and non emotional. It takes a lot of BS out of it actually IMO. What do you need to move it , ok great that seems low but how about that great we're both happy and walk away from deal with mutual happiness. I guess I'm reasonable tho
Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Standard way of buying and selling cars I've done this on all my cars private and dealer sales and all have been successful and non emotional. It takes a lot of BS out of it actually IMO. What do you need to move it , ok great that seems low but how about that great we're both happy and walk away from deal with mutual happiness. I guess I'm reasonable tho
Standard to expect the seller's low point just by asking? lol

If there was a "standard" way of buying and selling cars it would most likely go as follows.

1. Seller sets asking price
2. Buyer makes offer
3. Seller either accepts or turns down offer.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 until either buyer and seller are in agreement on price or both walk away.

Let's take this a step further. This applies to pretty much anything you buy where the price is negotiable. A home for example. Would you tell your relator to ask the seller's relator what the seller's low price is?

Home sellers, car dealer, etc. will laugh you right to the curb if you ask and expect to receive their low take. Maybe you've found gullible private sellers of vehicles, but anyone with half a brain won't ask a price and then tell you a lower price that they'll take without an offer.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, I've seen cars that I'm interested in that were priced significantly above the normal market price. In that instance, I will contact the seller and tell them that I'm interested in the car, but that I feel the asking price is above what the car should realistically sell for. I tell them that I'm not interested in trying to get them to give the car away to me, but since I feel it's priced above market, I don't want to waste either their time or mine in coming to look at it if they are not flexible on the price. Sometimes I get a "the asking price is the price" answer. If that's the case, I just move on. Those cars normally sit on the market a long time. If they indicate there is some room to move on the price, then I'll go look at the car and bring them some print outs showing them what I'm seeing as the market price for the car. It's up to the seller to be reasonable and flexible - if not then as a buyer there is no reason to deal with that seller. After all, never forget the Golden Rule when it comes to buying and selling.

An example, I have been casually searching for a Fiat X1/9 to throw in the garage because I had one back in 1982 as a kid. The prices range from $750 up to about $10,000, depending on condition. I don't think I've ever seen one actually sell for over $10,000, although I've seen asking prices slightly above that. A good (but not great) one showed up on ebay last week with a Buy It Now of $35,000 or "Make Offer". I contacted the seller via ebay message and very politely asked if the asking price was possibly a typo as I've never seen one anywhere near that price. The seller (a small used car dealer) responded and said "Oops, yep, that's a typo, the price should be $15,000 or best offer". They changed the ad shortly after and we traded a couple of other nice messages. The car is still priced $5,000 above what top dollar should be for it, but if the original price wasn't really a typo, at least they are in the ballpark now where some other buyer won't think the ad is a joke.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:19 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
Standard to expect the seller's low point just by asking? lol

If there was a "standard" way of buying and selling cars it would most likely go as follows.

1. Seller sets asking price
2. Buyer makes offer
3. Seller either accepts or turns down offer.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 until either buyer and seller are in agreement on price or both walk away.

Let's take this a step further. This applies to pretty much anything you buy where the price is negotiable. A home for example. Would you tell your relator to ask the seller's relator what the seller's low price is?

Home sellers, car dealer, etc. will laugh you right to the curb if you ask and expect to receive their low take. Maybe you've found gullible private sellers of vehicles, but anyone with half a brain won't ask a price and then tell you a lower price that they'll take without an offer.
Your not laughed at if you know the values and are good friends with the dealers or know the cars very well potentially better than the seller. I have done all that before including wth houses. Not at the onset and depending on price. Maybe I'm on another planet but it works well for me more often then not stuff is overpriced for the market especially when the economy starts to rebound a bit.

I just bought a house for 10k less than list, but a prior house I bid on I was 40k over list, it depends right...I also usually by straight from auction or through dealer network if they haven't moved the car getting the low price almost always occur. I was offered 4K less on a car the other day after asking for bottom line and it wasn't a Honda dealer it was a high line dealer that sold lambos and Porsche and they were not offended one bit, and it was a 32k car not a 300k car ;/)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 PM
HighSpirit84
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustler
I've been in the market and just bought a 996tt last weekend. Thought I'd share a nugget of intel I learned while looking.

There is one for sale at Mercedes of Denver in the low $40k range with about 30k miles. It was for sale about a month ago, and when I called they said it was getting some work done at Stevinson Imports in Denver. Well, I called Stevinson right after that and apparently the tech at Mercedes of Denver overfilled the oil by several quarts (just drained the block, not the sump), and oil was taken up into the manifold and spread though out the exhaust system. Stevinson said they would be replacing effected parts, however, when pressed admitted that hydolocking was a potential issue and damage to engine internals may take a while to sort out. This conversation was after dx but before the work was performed. I don't have any information on how the repair turned out or whether the dx changed after they got into the repair.

It certainly could be the repair was done properly and it's a nice buy (I never looked at the car having decided to move on after talking with Stevinson), but I thought someone might be interested in knowing what questions to ask if they end up looking at that car.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Stevinson was really helpful on the phone and forthcoming with information, and for their part the Mercedes dealer certainly wasn't untruthful and encouraged me to do my own do diligence, so no conspiracy should be implied here, just relevant facts.

Hey!
I called the same dealership this Saturday about the car. As they only had the carfax, I called Stevinson and Prestigeimports which appeared in the file.
Needless to say, they knew quite well the car and not in a good way.
Both told me to walk away as a fair bit of work would be necessary.

Because of the overfill, the exhaust system and other bits would need to be replaced but they didn't have it repaired by Stevinson.

I learnt also the car used to be 2wd at some point.
Finally, by the look of the damaged front caliper and offset on the rear wheels, some after market wheels were installed and could have damaged more than just the front caliper.

I was very interested at first but I am really happy that I called both Porsche dealerships for more detailed. Both took the time to look at the records they had in their system and were very honest.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HighSpirit84
Hey!
I called the same dealership this Saturday about the car. As they only had the carfax, I called Stevinson and Prestigeimports which appeared in the file.
Needless to say, they knew quite well the car and not in a good way.
Both told me to walk away as a fair bit of work would be necessary.

Because of the overfill, the exhaust system and other bits would need to be replaced but they didn't have it repaired by Stevinson.

I learnt also the car used to be 2wd at some point.
Finally, by the look of the damaged front caliper and offset on the rear wheels, some after market wheels were installed and could have damaged more than just the front caliper.

I was very interested at first but I am really happy that I called both Porsche dealerships for more detailed. Both took the time to look at the records they had in their system and were very honest.
That is a helpful and interesting update for anyone else out there in the market.

Regarding talking to Porsche Dealers (and indys) about past service on cars, during my search I found them to be very helpful. When getting serious about a car I would call every service center that appeared on a carfax, and to my surprise, many including dealers were more than happy to discuss past service on a car without discussing owner identity or pricing. If you manage to get a tech who actually worked on the car, you can pick up some more subjective opinions as well. I recommend pounding the phones to anyone in the market for a used Porsche!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

Here is something you don't see everyday....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/655539449/

It is a 2004 Cab with a full 997 exterior conversion and some, umm, extra flair.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Ugggh
Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM
WOTever
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that's ugly!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WOTever
Wow, that's ugly!
As the floor mats note it is a "Wicked 7"

7/10 on the ugly meter, perhaps.

Low miles 2004 cab with a manual trans and lots of carbon fiber. Sounds good until...
Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, that's disgusting. Probably cost a small fortune to accomplish though.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Here is something you don't see everyday....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/655539449/

It is a 2004 Cab with a full 997 exterior conversion and some, umm, extra flair.
Wicked often builds their cars from wrecks. Since they are replacing much of the body, might as well start with a lower cost donor. Anyone looking at this car (or any other Wicked car) definitely get a thorough structural check.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:10 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vman932
Wicked often builds their cars from wrecks. Since they are replacing much of the body, might as well start with a lower cost donor. Anyone looking at this car (or any other Wicked car) definitely get a thorough structural check.
If anyone has access to Carfax, here is the VIN WP0CB29994S675196
Old 05-23-2016, 05:15 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Who can solve this mystery?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8267/overview/

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds