Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
(Oddly enough, I have been to that port where it's located in the UAE and there was a guards red 930 just sitting there abandoned rotting away in the sun)
And you left it there to rot, because...?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
This car's been on ebay for quite a while now, most likely due to the price. But I was just curious if anyone knows anything about it? Was it originally Mexico Blue or was that a repaint? Was it owned by an RL member?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=112001630296
Originally it was black.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
And you left it there to rot, because...?
Well, I didn't think the captain would let me bring it onboard the aircraft carrier.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:30 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Originally it was black.
Thank you! For a PTS car with nice mods, I didn't think it was that bad of a price. But knowing it was originally Black and not Mexico Blue, then that price all of a sudden is a bit more inflated. I actually really like the car though, but not enough to spend $57k on it when there's similar cars on the market for quite a bit less. Problem with a repaint is that we don't know the quality in which it was done. Even a crappy paint job can look beautiful for a few years and a great job can be 10 x's better than factory. Sadly, not much of an ability to tell which it was without knowing who painted it.
Well, I didn't think the captain would let me bring it onboard the aircraft carrier.
Hahahha that was great!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Tiesto996tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I wouldn't say terrible. The blue bits might not be for everyone, but those are easily changed out. The rest of the interior looks nice, typical 996TT affair. I'm actually a fan of the alcantara steering wheel and shifter boot. But, if that doesn't fit your fancy, there's always the one below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=112019723743
Car is located United Arab Emirates, the loading port is Jebel Ali.

No history?

I think I will pass on this one.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ack-black.html
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting that there are brake ducts on a nearly bone stock car. Also, that car is clearly lowered but no mention of any suspension modification. Other than that a pretty clean car with a high ask for a tick away from 100k miles.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just have to ask this because it always makes me laugh when I read it in a classified ad. Why do attorney's make a mention of things like "Owned by Attorney" or some form there of? Like am I supposed to think better of the car because it was owned by an attorney? Is it just an excuse for them to let everyone else know what they do for a living? I really just don't get it.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:58 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Link to the ad? I haven't seen that one in an ad yet. Most people don't like lawyers, so I wouldn't think that is a big selling point. I've seen "doctor owned" and other professionals which I think was an attempt to show it is owned by a mature person. Just too much anti-lawyer sentiment out there.

One of these days I need to change my username for that reason. I made it up back in 1999 when I signed up for eBay. It draws at least a couple of insults a month. Haters gonna hate, am I right?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:56 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Link to the ad? I haven't seen that one in an ad yet. Most people don't like lawyers, so I wouldn't think that is a big selling point. I've seen "doctor owned" and other professionals which I think was an attempt to show it is owned by a mature person. Just too much anti-lawyer sentiment out there.

One of these days I need to change my username for that reason. I made it up back in 1999 when I signed up for eBay. It draws at least a couple of insults a month. Haters gonna hate, am I right?

First time I saw your username I read it as K-CAT-TORNEY. I was like WTF...
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT View Post

Originally Posted by vogz
Interesting that there are brake ducts on a nearly bone stock car. Also, that car is clearly lowered but no mention of any suspension modification. Other than that a pretty clean car with a high ask for a tick away from 100k miles.
Can anyone here explain what makes this 996 TT a Turbo S? Is it the X50 package itself? I'm generally familiar with X50, but don't see any reference to Turbo S in the details of that ad itself other than the title. The car is debadged and no interior close up of the dash. The window sticker copy doesn't say Turbo S either, it just says Turbo.

I didn't want to ask this of the OP on pelican because its a for sale ad and I don't want to post negative sentiment unless I'm really interested in the car or an expert, which I'm not.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Can anyone here explain what makes this 996 TT a Turbo S? Is it the X50 package itself? I'm generally familiar with X50, but don't see any reference to Turbo S in the details of that ad itself other than the title.
basically:
X50 package
PCCB
Full leather interior/console
Aluminum faced gauges
PCM/Nav
Old 06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Originally Posted by Bloose993TT View Post

Can anyone here explain what makes this 996 TT a Turbo S? Is it the X50 package itself? I'm generally familiar with X50, but don't see any reference to Turbo S in the details of that ad itself other than the title. The car is debadged and no interior close up of the dash. The window sticker copy doesn't say Turbo S either, it just says Turbo.

I didn't want to ask this of the OP on pelican because its a for sale ad and I don't want to post negative sentiment unless I'm really interested in the car or an expert, which I'm not.

It is not a Turbo S. It is a turbo with X50. I'm not sure why he lists Turbo S in the title other than to draw attention. From his ad:
Up for sale is my 2003 911 Turbo 6spd manual with factory x50 package.

I assume this is a pretty educated crowd, but for those not familiar the x50 package was an $18k factory option that has the same powertrain upgrades as the GT2. To the best of my knowledge compared to a base Turbo the X50 equipped cars come from the factory with: larger K24 turbos, larger intercoolers, a reprogrammed ecu, stronger clutch & stronger transmission internals. Power is rated at 450hp. Later 2005 they coupled the x50 Package with Carbon brake package under a new Turbo S trim.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

The ad is a little misleading for 2 reasons:
1. There were no Turbo S models until 2005, so that 2003 is not a Turbo S
2. If the car had PCCB brakes on top of the X50 package, then he could legitimately argue that it is the same as a Turbo S, just not a Turbo S in name only. But since the car appears to have regular brakes (they look like red calipers and he does not state it has PCCB brakes), to call it a Turbo S is puzzling.

There was a guy in our local PCA who was selling a 2004 996TT with X50 and PCCBs. He kept referring to the car as a Turbo S, which confused the hell out of me. I had just bought a NA 996 and didn't know much about the 996TT but I could at least read the back of the car and it didn't say "Turbo S".

But, he was asking Turbo S money for it, so I guess that's how he justified it. I think he started out asking $60k for it. He came way down on price after no one showed any interest, and I think sold it for just under $50k. Again, though, it had PCCBs and was around 40k miles, so that 2003 with no PCCBs and 90k miles is significantly overpriced at $47k IMHO. Plus, the "puffing" about the Turbo S makes me suspicious about the entire deal.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds