Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020 | 12:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is more "wrong" with the car in question than just mileage and being a Tip. On the Carguru's page it states the car's list price is at almost $6k below market value.

Old 02-16-2020 | 01:08 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
There is more "wrong" with the car in question than just mileage and being a Tip. On the Carguru's page it states the car's list price is at almost $6k below market value.

Thanks, Carlo. That was exactly my point. Here where I am, in SoCal, tips with under 100K that are well sorted can fetch up to $39/$40K if you believe that. Traffic can be really bad here and many older folks prefer tips to manuals. (I am 37 by the way, but still like my tip a lot when I’m stuck in traffic on the 5 freeway). My tip that just turned 60K miles is well sorted, in excellent condition and I already received $40,750 when I thought I wanted to sell it a couple of weeks ago. I changed my mind about selling it, but it was still nice to know I can get that type of offer and it wasn’t even close to summer time. During the summer months I think I could make even more selling it. I think it’s all about the condition of the vehicle, how well it was taken care of, and service history; at least that’s what’s really important to folks down here. Whether it’s a tip or manual makes some difference, but not as much as people think. There is always a buyer out there for all kinds off 996 TT’s regardless whether it’s a tip or manual, low or high mileage etc. In my opinion, as long as it’s well sorted, well preserved and well taken care of there will always be a buyer out there, who will be willing to pay top dollar. That’s why comments like “oh, it’s a sub 30K 996tt only because it’s a tip and higher mileage” **** me off. (although 85K miles is nothing for these cars and shouldn’t even be considered high mileage cars). The car in question obviously has issues being priced that low, so before people devalue other peoples cars, and bash tips etc. maybe they ought to think before they post pointless comments. Just my .02.
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:27 PM
ipman
Pro

Originally Posted by ABSTAND
Thanks, Carlo. That was exactly my point. Here where I am, in SoCal, tips with under 100K that are well sorted can fetch up to $39/$40K if you believe that. Traffic can be really bad here and many older folks prefer tips to manuals. (I am 37 by the way, but still like my tip a lot when I’m stuck in traffic on the 5 freeway). My tip that just turned 60K miles is well sorted, in excellent condition and I already received $40,750 when I thought I wanted to sell it a couple of weeks ago. I changed my mind about selling it, but it was still nice to know I can get that type of offer and it wasn’t even close to summer time. During the summer months I think I could make even more selling it. I think it’s all about the condition of the vehicle, how well it was taken care of, and service history; at least that’s what’s really important to folks down here. Whether it’s a tip or manual makes some difference, but not as much as people think. There is always a buyer out there for all kinds off 996 TT’s regardless whether it’s a tip or manual, low or high mileage etc. In my opinion, as long as it’s well sorted, well preserved and well taken care of there will always be a buyer out there, who will be willing to pay top dollar. That’s why comments like “oh, it’s a sub 30K 996tt only because it’s a tip and higher mileage” **** me off. (although 85K miles is nothing for these cars and shouldn’t even be considered high mileage cars). The car in question obviously has issues being priced that low, so before people devalue other peoples cars, and bash tips etc. maybe they ought to think before they post pointless comments. Just my .02.

Dude you need to relax, you are taking this entirely too personal. As the saying goes, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Do you own this car for an investment? Or to enjoy the experience when driving? If the former, well, you bought the wrong car and should have gotten a lower mileage manual. If the latter, you got the right car, who cares what others think as long as you are happy and it works for you, just let it keep putting smiles on your face.
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipman
Dude you need to relax, you are taking this entirely too personal....
I don't think there is a need to go there with this. Absand is passionate and expressed his position well.
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:42 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

[QUOTE=ipman;16425115]Dude you need to relax, you are taking this entirely too personal.

LoL
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:43 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

I don't think there is a need to go there with this. Absand is passionate and expressed his position well.
Carlo, I try. Appreciate the support!
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:52 PM
ipman
Pro

Originally Posted by ABSTAND
Carlo, I try. Appreciate the support!

Guess the tip guys gotta stay together ;0

AB- I was supporting you, but you made it personal again, just like was stated 10 or so posts above when you and pancing had your lovers quarrel. I come here to escape and rather not read about quarrels, I deal with "children" enough with my job.
Old 02-16-2020 | 01:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Guess the tip guys gotta stay together ;0

AB- I was supporting you, but you made it personal again, just like was stated 10 or so posts above when you and pancing had your lovers quarrel. I come here to escape and rather not read about quarrels, I deal with "children" enough with my job.
No worries, its all good.
The following users liked this post:
ipman (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020 | 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This doesn't surprise me at all.

A Tip with those miles shouldn't be that big of a price hit.
Old 02-16-2020 | 02:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 02-16-2020 | 09:37 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
And back to our regular programming, here’s a nice 28k mile example for sale locally to me.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...072548575.html

It probably belongs in the Prestige Thread, but I did find it on Craigslist, so . . .

Wow, that's nice...
Old 02-16-2020 | 10:21 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
And back to our regular programming, here’s a nice 28k mile example for sale locally to me.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...072548575.html

It probably belongs in the Prestige Thread, but I did find it on Craigslist, so . . .
Sharp looking car, very similar to mine. Those girodisk rotors and the lowered suspension would suggest some track usage but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. Also looks like it might have a Milltek exhaust too.
Old 02-16-2020 | 11:49 PM
derrunner
Intermediate

Great comment J, I completely agree. When I was looking there was a local tip with 116K (IIRC) that I drove and was priced well at 32K. Figured he'd take 29-30 pretty easily. Ultimately, I passed on it because I wanted a manual and didn't want to compromise my "dream/me" car, and I paid a lot more for a 3rd pedal. The owner of that tip is on here too, it's a great car.

I have considered picking up a lower price, higher mileage tip for a DD, but the better half won't go for it until I clear our some other vehicles first. Tips are great, especially if you are urban and sit in traffic a lot.
That would be me - actually 106k on the clock and I paid $30k - traced it back to Plano Porsche where at 89k miles they did around $10k of maintenance and then sold it from their dealership at that time. So I felt comfortable with the mileage and the price point. With an UMW tune, after market exhaust and in manual mode, it hauls just fine for me. And Austin traffic blows at times - so I am happy. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020 | 05:20 PM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Sharp looking car, very similar to mine. Those girodisk rotors and the lowered suspension would suggest some track usage but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. Also looks like it might have a Milltek exhaust too.

looks like he had cluster changed. Shouldn’t have Turbo on tach , milage could be off
Old 02-17-2020 | 05:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
looks like he had cluster changed. Shouldn’t have Turbo on tach , milage could be off
I think some of the later built cars came from the factory with "turbo" written on the tach.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds