Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 PM
flynt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rezilient
Just noticed another one with higher mileage for just under $33k or best offer

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151954001898

Looks clean, what do you guys think? Would the mileage scare you off?
I just bought that car. It's fantastic.
Sold my 964 C2 a few months ago so I had a spot open in the garage and some money burning a hole. I'd been thinking about a 996TT for a while - took a test drive - wow! Looked over the carfax, and the car had 2 previous owners who serviced the car at the dealer every 10k. Higher miles, but cared for, which puts the car in the sweet spot for me. I'd rather have a cared-for car with higher mileage than a low-mile garage queen.

Last edited by flynt; 03-31-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When a person has to add they would rather have a cared for car with higher mileage than a low mileage garage queen it shows something= I was happy for you until that idiotic comment as a garage queen can be as well cared for as any other car.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:19 PM
flynt
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmc1148
When a person has to add they would rather have a cared for car with higher mileage than a low mileage garage queen it shows something= I was happy for you until that idiotic comment as a garage queen can be as well cared for as any other car.
You read a lot into my comment. No idea why it upset you so much.
I'll continue not paying the low-mile premium.
Thanks for the warm welcome to the water-cooled P-car community.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Flynt, welcome From another high miles TT guy. 84k Car has tons of records and major stuff done. I love my car and its price
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a car this weekend and have some CarFax reports left if anyone would like one run:

danspach@optonline.net

Happy hunting!!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:28 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by danspach
I bought a car this weekend and have some CarFax reports left if anyone would like one run:

danspach@optonline.net

Happy hunting!!
Thank you for the offer. I will email you a VIN of a car I'm looking into purchasing. I'm just working out some details to arrange a PPI.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 PM
rezilient
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flynt
I just bought that car. It's fantastic.
Sold my 964 C2 a few months ago so I had a spot open in the garage and some money burning a hole. I'd been thinking about a 996TT for a while - took a test drive - wow! Looked over the carfax, and the car had 2 previous owners who serviced the car at the dealer every 10k. Higher miles, but cared for, which puts the car in the sweet spot for me. I'd rather have a cared-for car with higher mileage than a low-mile garage queen.
And since I know it'll be asked - 33.9 OTD.
Congrats! Hope all goes well with her. I think you scored a great deal, the car looks immaculate in the pics. Anything you need to get done, or any plans for mods?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM
flynt
Instructor

Thanks! Been driving all weekend - I love this car! And yes, very clean.
First mods slated are GT2 slave and Wevo engine mounts. Dial out some of the softness.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:14 PM
rezilient
Intermediate

Has anyone looked at this one?

2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo - $33000 (Clifton, VA)
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...375961054.html

It has been listed for a while. I remember contacting the owner back in November and he said "it's all good" and when I asked for more details he said "it's all good" - so that was definitely a warning sign. I would likely want to take off the front spoiler and find some turbo twists to return it closer to stock.

Thoughts?
Update regarding this car. DO NOT buy this car unless you like VERY very risky bets (because odds are, you will not come out a winner on this). The VIN on this vehicle is WP0AB29942S685509 in case someone arrives here via Google search. Carfax shows it had 2 owners and last declared mileage is 64K.

Gnat went and saw the car and provided a very detailed report (below) or at least as much as he could see in a short amount of time. The seller showed up late and with 2 kids in the car, a test drive was not possible, and he was in a rush. So right away it was not looking good. In summary, the interior was in fairly good shape, however the exterior has a cracked rear bumper (not disclosed in the advert or when repeatedly asking the seller), spider webbing in the paint on the rear bumper, and several scuff marks along the body. He did not have a picture of the rear bumper in his advert at all. Despite all that, I understand in this price range there are some sacrifes and the body can be fixed.

But the biggest warning sign is that he flat out REFUSES to let me do a PPI. I clarified that I would obviously pay for the PPI, help get the car to the shop, and even told him I'm not overly worried about minor issues just looking for major things. He won't budge. And he has been trying to sell this car since October apparently.

Below is the review by Gnat. BIG thanks to you for all your help on this one, you saved me a bunch of money and headache.

When he showed up he had his 2 kids with him and immediately shut the car off after arriving. I got the distinct impression by his kids being there that a test drive was not in the cards. This was further reenforced by him never offering me the key and generally having an air of being in a rush. He also asked a few times how serious you were which gave me the impression he looked at me as more of a lookey-loo than a path to selling his car. The way he rushed to show me the frunk gave me the impression that he was trying to hide something (and having a 996 I knew exactly what). So generally I was not impressed with him in a “professional” manner. So given that no test drive happened, all I can comment on the is the appearance and it did not wow me.

Outside:

1) The headlights are starting to yellow and appear to have some spotting in the finish. Maybe they were previously polished and are starting to decay again.

2) I’m not familiar with the factory Aerokit on the TT so I don’t know if it’s front treatment is factory or not. It appeared to be solid though.

3) There are scuff marks on the driver’s door along the lines of door dings, but I did not see actual dents.

4) There are various scuffs and nicks all over the car to suggest regular use. Again, no sign of dents in the metal work.

5) The rubber strip between the plastic trim around the frunk latch and bumper is dry rotted and broken up. That’s mostly a non-issue, but it suggests to me that the bumper may have been removed in the past. No idea if that would have been to clean the rads or repaint/replace the bumper.

6) The frunk struts are dead. Not just can’t hold it up in cold weather or will take your head off because you aren’t suspecting it, but dead.

7) Both passenger calipers have large patches where the paint is faded. The driver side did not seem to have this issue.

8) The rear bumper has significant damage. There is some scuffing on the passenger side. The lower driver’s corner has a hand sized area that is broken and pealing away from the skin. Additionally the upper area nearer to the tail light has some light spider webbing going on in the paint. I would have missed it if I didn’t have experience with it on ours. So from experience with ours there are 2 things this tells me. First is that this is NOT the factory paint on the bumper. The factory paint just doesn’t crack and peal the way the lower area does. Secondly the bumper itself is damaged and will need to be replaced, it’s not just a simple repaint (you could do that, but the paint will fail).

9) The rear bumper-ettes were pretty faded and had rub marks on them.

10) I did not test it, but when asked he said the wing pistons are not working.

11) The coolant pipes have neither been pinned nor welded. From what I could see (and I thought the NA engine bay was cramped!) it looked pretty clean in there and I didn’t see obvious signs of leaks.

12) There was no option sticker on the underside of the hood. I am only assuming it would be in the same place on the TTs as it is on the NA cars. To the NA crowd that says the hood may have been replaced or repainted.

13) There is no spare in the car as he has an Amp and crossovers installed in that area. The tools and inflator were also missing. He did not say if he still had them or not.

Inside:

Inside and outside are night and day from each other. Other than some light bars that have been added for foot well lighting, the sub woofer enclosure behind the rear seats, and the Rennline plate in the passenger footwell everything looks like stock options.

The light bars are cheap looking in my opinion, but don’t look difficult to remove.

The subs are pressed against the rear seat backs when they are up and appear to have rubbed them a bit. Nothing serious, but it’s there.

I also noticed some spotting on the seat surface of the passenger seat but it’s light enough a pro might be able to remove them.

Overall, though, the interior was very clean and (sans being able to turn it on and drive it) everything appeared to be good order.

Summary:

I have a hard time offering a monetary assessment. If it were me an my money, however, I’d lowball it to try to get another 3-5k off which would cover fixing the rear bumper properly. Assuming that it checks out mechanically I think it could be a good project car, but overall I don’t feel like it is a good example.

At a minimum I would not recommend proceeding without a PPI (I offered some suggestions previously) and honestly wouldn’t waste my time/money if it were me.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Why? Just why? Why would you make a comment like this to a new guy in the forum?

Flynt - Welcome. Glad to have you here.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:28 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Why oh why would he feel the need to say something so silly?
Don't regret saying it. Just when I thought you were going to ignore me as I ignore you.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Below is the review by Gnat.
Since I know there has been issues about private communications around here and he clipped that part out I would just like to make it clear that he posted the review with my approval.

Something that was alluded to, but also clipped out was that the guy was late. He called me about 40 minutes before we were supposed to meet (just as I was pulling onto the road to head over) to make sure I was still coming. One minute before we were supposed to meet he calls and tells me he is stuck in line at the car wash (because he wanted me to see it clean). 30 minutes go by with no further updates and as I was getting ready to bail he called to say he was on his way and would be there in 5.

Two things jump out to me here. The first is how do you not expect long lines at the car wash on the first decent weekend after 3' of snow? Secondly, within a reasonable (10-15 minutes) drive of the meeting location the only car washes were gas stations (e.g. it wasn't a hand washing).
Old 02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Car looks beat/well worn in my opinion. Better to spend another 10k up front and get a decent car with good miles and records.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:56 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Lively thread!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Thanks I try to keep things from getting rusty.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds