Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default ‘08 Turbo Cab in Phoenix

Hi. Do you guys think this ‘08 Turbo Cab with 60K miles is worth $54K although he says all reasonable offers will be considered? Could be something...

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...978212073.html
Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

Default ‘04 Turbo Tip Cab for $43.5 with 54K miles

Another one in Phoenix although tip and cab, but I like it. Looks really clean and well taken care of.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...970670160.html
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustler
The asking price seems low, I would have said that's a pretty realistic out the door price. It's actually $1k lower on some third party listing sites. From what I've seen, prices for these cars have been pretty static for some time now. I see that asking prices have ticked up over the past year, but based on auction results and third party valuation tools, it doesn't look like buyer's agree with seller's on that score.
Agreed. If you are objective prices on these cars have been pretty static for at least 2019.
The only real outliers have been cars with crazy low miles or particularly unique colors.
$48k asking price for the LA craigslist car might even be high for a black car with no service records and what is claimed 50% rear tire life from what looks like a pretty run of the mill used car dealer in Burbank with a 3.5 yelp rating [looks like they have 3 or 4 "nice" cars and the rest are pretty much older german and american cars].
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM
yvvvz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>> If you are objective prices on these cars have been pretty static for at least 2019.
The only real outliers have been cars with crazy low miles or particularly unique colors.<<

Yep. If the car has something that makes it a bit unique, it will still sell well. These 996 turbos had the usual spring/summer bump up but not the gains like recent years and now prices have softened. Sellers are still asking higher prices but run of the mill turbos aren't selling. As someone who has been watching the market almost daily, I am still seeing so many of the same turbo cars listed for 4 months or more. Look at the 996TTs that have been on the for sale board here for a long time. BAT usually brings a price premium but even those prices have had a downward trend since the latter part of August. There isn't much demand for cabs, tiptronics and cars much above 60k miles unless they are really priced to sell.

The LA one mentioned above (https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...960810681.html) has been bouncing around a number of the popular car selling websites since spring.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by yvvvz
Sellers are still asking higher prices but there cars aren't selling.
Hopefully these sellers will stick with their individual asking price.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 PM
ABSTAND
Instructor

>> If you are objective prices on these cars have been pretty static for at least 2019.
The only real outliers have been cars with crazy low miles or particularly unique colors.<<

Yep. If the car has something that makes it a bit unique, it will still sell well. These 996 turbos had the usual spring/summer bump up but not the gains like recent years and now prices have softened. Sellers are still asking higher prices but run of the mill turbos aren't selling. As someone who has been watching the market almost daily, I am still seeing so many of the same turbo cars listed for 4 months or more. Look at the 996TTs that have been on the for sale board here for a long time. BAT usually brings a price premium but even those prices have had a downward trend since the latter part of August. There isn't much demand for cabs, tiptronics and cars much above 60k miles unless they are really priced to sell.

The LA one mentioned above (https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...960810681.html) has been bouncing around a number of the popular car selling websites since spring.
Hi. I don’t necessarily agree with your post or any post that suggests 996TT market has dried out etc. I actually think the opposite is the case. The market is very much hot and these cars sell daily for very fair market prices that these vehicles have been commanding for the past year or so (or more). Even though tips and cabs will never command a premium unless it’s a very low mileage example that has been taken care of meticulously, they still sell rather quickly when they do appear as many buyers prefer tips and cabs especially here in California. From my experience, at least here in Southern California, no significant discounts are being extended because a car is a tip or cab as long as it has been maintained properly and is well sorted out. You guys seem to gather data of sold or offered vehicles through BAT, eBay or random dealerships, but don’t really look at private sales on Craigslist. I’ve reached out to at least 15 (or more) owners, who had their 996TT’s posted on Craigslist in California since April of this year and they have ALL sold for asking or close to that. Just the other day I posted a guards red ‘01 (here on this thread) tip with beige interior that was just ok, aftermarket wheels and 75K miles and it sold for close to $38K within a few days. It was in Orange County. Like I said, every single one I’ve inquired about here in California, whether it was a tip or a cab or whatever, sold quick few of which I didn’t even get a chance to look at. Maybe you/we are looking in the wrong place and craigslist is the way to go. Many sellers don’t want to pay eBay or BAT fees and I don’t blame them as I wouldn’t want to either when selling a car of this caliber, so many of the really nice examples all appear on Craigslist vs other platforms that demand a fee. I always tell myself this car will sell itself, so why pay someone else to do it for you? Anyway, that’s just my 2 pennies. 👍😀
The following users liked this post:
Road King (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

IMHO, judging the value on these cars based on BAT, craigslist, etc. is so difficult. Really nice cars still bring top bucks, but it isn't as simple as low mileage or good rev report. You really have to see these guys in person, drive them, see just how well sorted they are... I've seen several purchased by others that looked absolutely fantastic "on paper" and in photos, but didn't impress me at all. And others with more miles, maybe a bumper respray, whatever, that were absolute gems.

Despite BAT having a seemingly endless stream of 996 Turbos coming through, really great looking, fully sorted drivers are pretty damn hard to find.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Majic
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just trying to find a black/black Turbo coupe with welded/pinned coolant pipes and 2nd gear pop out issue already addressed. I didn't think my criteria was that strict, but here I am, 3 months later, contemplating on settling for less..
Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Majic
I'm just trying to find a black/black Turbo coupe with welded/pinned coolant pipes and 2nd gear pop out issue already addressed. I didn't think my criteria was that strict, but here I am, 3 months later, contemplating on settling for less..
Many (most?) stock or stockish cars don't have pinned/welded coolant lines as the engines often haven't been out. I won't address my coolant lines until I have the engine out for a clutch or failed/leaking line.

2nd gear popout was either an issue or it wasn't. If it wasn't, IMO there's no need to address. I think it affected 01s and early 02s?

Black on black manual Coupe shouldn't be too hard to find for $50K or less...but then again the buying process can (and should) be an iterative process that takes some time. Seeing and rejecting a few cars helps build the knowledge base.

Good luck with your search and post 'em up when you buy THE ONE!
Good luck in your search.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:03 PM
yvvvz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>From my experience, at least here in Southern California<<

I think Southern California is rather unique compared to the rest of the country. You have so many 996TT compared to the rest of us in other parts of the country. You have a comparatively "huge" supply of them for sale at any one time.

>>judging the value on these cars based on BAT, craigslist, etc. is so difficult.<<

Agreed but BAT is one of the few places you can actually see what price the cars actually achieve. I use it a a data point but I also adjust a BAT price in my mind because it usually is going to be higher that most in person private sales.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:18 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

Black on black isn't super rare, but 6 speed coupes of any color don't come up as often as they used to. Cars with coolant pipes already addressed are not common. Less common than M96 cars with IMS fixes, in my observation. Most that have it fixed aren't for sale.

The issue is well known enough for potential buyers to know that cars with the fix are desirable, but there is still plenty of debate among owners about whether it's even necessary to do it proactively. As the cars get older, we'll see more and more failures, and more and more cars will therefore have it addressed by necessity.

In the meantime, hoping for a 6 speed manual coupe in a specific color combo is hard enough without adding that criterion, IMHO. With that said, good luck in your search, and don't settle on the criteria that are important to you. Also, 3 months is not a long time. Many of us searched far longer than that for our cars, whilst not limiting ourselves to cars with pinned/welded coolant lines.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I think Southern California is rather unique compared to the rest of the country.
You think?
Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 747 Likes on 521 Posts

I have a mint 2003 black/black w/ welded coolant lines. PM if interested.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone familiar with this one in Omaha? A guy I work with is interested.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...978420167.html
Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

^ That car looks/seems both awesome and terrible at the same time, in so many ways.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds