Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

[QUOTE=pressure ratio;14955583]I have been looking for a 996 Turbo for several months now. I figured an X50 car would be a better buy as long as the price wasn't at a huge premium. It seems low production numbers tend to make collector vehicles worth more. I am talking to a local person that has an X50 & factory aero package car. It has 35K miles on it. The car is in great shape and is all stock. He wants $63K for it. I think that is a little high. I thought it would be reasonable at $54K-$56k. Or is he priced where it should be with those options and mileage?

It's priced where the seller thinks it should be. There are several things you need to reconcile in your own mind.

How much are you prepared to pay? I think $58k -$61k could be expected in this market.
Does the car have the exterior, interior, and options you want? If so pay near the upper end of this range.
Does the car have maintenance records? If so pay near the upper end of this range.
Is this going to be a daily driver or weekend car? If daily driver, I would opt for a higher mileage car that costs substantially less than this one. If weekend, this may be a good option for you.
How long are you going to keep it? If long term, pay the higher end of this range knowing it most likely will increase before you want to sell it.

The 996TT market pricing is definitely on the upswing. This car is priced more than I paid for my TTS with 24k miles three years ago. But that was the market then. In 5 years you may very well look back and think $58k-$61k was a great deal.

You can justify a little higher price because the car you're considering is local and you don't have to pay shipping. Use that as an excuse to go up another $1k if that's what it takes.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
It's priced where the seller thinks it should be. There are several things you need to reconcile in your own mind.

How much are you prepared to pay? I think $58k -$61k could be expected in this market.
Does the car have the exterior, interior, and options you want? If so pay near the upper end of this range.
Does the car have maintenance records? If so pay near the upper end of this range.
Is this going to be a daily driver or weekend car? If daily driver, I would opt for a higher mileage car that costs substantially less than this one. If weekend, this may be a good option for you.
How long are you going to keep it? If long term, pay the higher end of this range knowing it most likely will increase before you want to sell it.

The 996TT market pricing is definitely on the upswing. This car is priced more than I paid for my TTS with 24k miles three years ago. But that was the market then. In 5 years you may very well look back and think $58k-$61k was a great deal.

You can justify a little higher price because the car you're considering is local and you don't have to pay shipping. Use that as an excuse to go up another $1k if that's what it takes.
I agree with all of that. Those are points I have made to myself. I have not bought a car yet because I am trying to stick to buying what I want. I am not crazy about the looks of the aero kit to be honest. I am more so indifferent to it. I find it attractive due do it's smaller numbers.

The only options it doesn't have that I wouldn't mind having is the Sport seats and carbon fiber bits. I have heard the Sport seats are not all that comfortable and the carbon fiber has it's own issues as it ages. So neither is really a deal breaker for me.

I guess I should say I am more comfortable at $56k than at $60k-$63k. But like you said, at some point, I might be happy I snagged it at $63k.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Just fyi, it is "supple" not "subtle" on the leather seats.
Sport seats feel the same as regular seats to me, they just have the little shoulder bumps that I don't even notice once I'm seated in the car.
And concur that the car with low miles, X50 and factory aerokit would likely bring $63k plus on BaT.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
.....And concur that the car with low miles, X50 and factory aerokit would likely bring $63k plus on BaT.
+1
Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I think one's opinion on sport seats depends in part on one's physical size and/or shape. I personally don't fit well in the sport seats.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
...X50 & factory aero package car. It has 35K miles on it. The car is in great shape and is all stock. He wants $63K for it....I thought it would be reasonable at $54K-$56k.
If it is a coupe, six-speed, and in excellent condition (passes ppi, service documented, clean carfax, etc), $54-56K is a steal and you won't get it for that unless the seller is market ignorant, which does happen. $63K isn't unreasonable but $60K would be better.

Don't worry about options... There really were very few options available other than leather/carbon/aluminum bits and all turbo's already came with full leather. Some like sport seats, some do not. Some like draped/supple leather, some do not. Carbon fiber trim of that generation has a nasty habit of cracking and isn't nearly as nice looking as modern carbon trim.

condition, condition, condition.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
... I am not crazy about the looks of the aero kit to be honest. I am more so indifferent to it. I find it attractive due do it's smaller numbers.
oh i love the look of the aero kit and you get the bonus of not worrying about the spoiler rams failing
Old 04-20-2018, 08:11 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an X50 Turbo, black on black - with sports seats. For some unknown reason, my must haves included X50, Sport Seats and under 40k miles. I sort of wish I had taken sports seats off that. They look great. But even at 5'5 135lbs, they still can feel a bit tight and it's taken me a very long time to get comfortable in them. I definitely don't think I could handle a long road trip in them well.

As pfbz said, condition condition condition. I paid $60k for mine with 29k miles on it a bit under a year ago if that helps ease your mind. Top of the market, but I still haven't found any others for less with everything I wanted.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

The cool thing about the sofas w/ seat memory for performance driving, is you can do the "3 point harness" technique of scooting the seat back, locking your shoulder belt, and then returning the seat to its memory position.

I have the sofas, and while I understand while folks prefer the sport seats, I don't find them to be all that different. Every hard core track guy upgrades from the Sport Seats. I love the seat memory and lumbar on my sofas.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 PM
pocotaligo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://hiltonhead.craigslist.org/ct...568839950.html, jump on it, just listed, do you think it's a scam????????
Old 04-23-2018, 01:19 PM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh man.. I'm not gonna let this one get away! Plus a vacation in Hilton Head with the money saved!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:26 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Nah, I'm sure it's legit - it's a tippy after all, so $9,500 is about right.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:32 PM
slowbutsure
7th Gear

Default vin no inquiry

Hello! Good morning. I'm new to the Porsche World. Had BMW's all my life. Amazing site here. How would I know if the car i'm looking at has the x50 options? i'm shopping for a 996 turbo and been lurking around on this thread. How can I read the vin number and see what options it has? Here's the vin number- WP0CB29904S677015. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowbutsure
Hello! Good morning. I'm new to the Porsche World. Had BMW's all my life. Amazing site here. How would I know if the car i'm looking at has the x50 options? i'm shopping for a 996 turbo and been lurking around on this thread. How can I read the vin number and see what options it has? Here's the vin number- WP0CB29904S677015. Thanks in advance.
there are bunch of vin decoders out there including this website

here is the official Porsche one for your vin

http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...CB29904S677015
Old 04-23-2018, 01:47 PM
slowbutsure
7th Gear

Ah thank you! I"m looking to purchase this car. my friends car. does not mention x50 options but only x74? stainless exhaust etc. I wanted a tip, but don't care much for the cabriolet... black on black. 43k miles. he wants $35k! Clear title but had history of 2 accidents- all repaired. Hope's its an ok deal? I"m going to check it out today. my heart is racing....can't even concentrate at work! thx for the info.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds