Sponsored by:

NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
At the same exposure level that a track day exposes the car to? At the same engine compartment heat levels that a track day exposes the car to?

Do you max perform the car coming out of the public street corners?

You're going to try to convince me that you can legally expose your car on public roads to the same mechanical stress at the same exposure times that it faces on a track day?

BTW, there aren't any Autobahns here in the U.S.
In a private parking lot doing a autocross. I suspect you would.

I believe stop and go traffic on a hot day, cold start ups in freezing temperatures. Cooling and heating cycles in cold climates is harder on the car.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 55 Posts

This has been an interesting thread with some strong opinions expressed.

It is an issue that owners need to be aware of, whether they drive on the track or on the street. It probably won't happen to many owners, but it will happen to some, and the circumstances will undoubtedly vary.

I was aware of the potential issue before experiencing it firsthand. Looking back on it now, I should have taken preventative action to better ensure the safety of other drivers (as well as myself). I had taken the approach that it was something that happened so infrequently that it probably wouldn't happen to me. That was irresponsible on my part.

Regardless of what Porsche does or does not do, it is a decision each owner should make with as much knowledge beforehand as possible.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
who wants to bet engine compartment temps are higher when idling in 'Hotltanta' traffic than a cold Canadian or Northern Germany trackday????
Of course engine compartment temperatures are higher in the Summer (like Atlanta), than they are in the Winter in cold regions (Canada/Germany). The issue is what maximum sustained engine compartment temperature Porsche engineers designed the car to operate with. I'm willing to bet that on a 90 degree day here in Atlanta, a 996 Turbo running hard laps at the track is going to generate higher engine compartment temperatures than what is generated by a 996 Turbo sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the A/C running.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
who wants to bet engine compartment temps are higher when idling in 'Hotltanta' traffic than a cold Canadian or Northern Germany trackday????
But there is information that indicates there are few coolant pipe failures in Europe. I wonder why?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except the glue never fail, otherwise using the glue to connect two components in the cooling system is really a stupid design in the engine.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

But there is information that indicates there are few coolant pipe failures in Europe. I wonder why?
Who knows? Climate? Less extreme temperature ranges? I know a guy in the UK that blew his pipes. Isn't that enough?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rob - Do you think you were buying a race car when you bought your 911?
Doing a DE event is not using your 911 as a race car. Far from it in fact.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Does the NHTSA site have information regarding how many of those had been tracked?
No, but I have told you repeatedly that there are several guys on a few different forums reporting their pipes popped without their cars ever being driven on a race track. Track driving may exacerbate the issue but it is not the cause.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
In a private parking lot doing a autocross. I suspect you would.
So you're now moving away from the "public roads" position.

As for whether or not an autocross qualifies as a track, that would be something that would be argued in a court of law.

But attempting to say that someone can legally drive on public roads at the same performance level and at the same exposure level (time) that can be accomplished at the track is a huge stretch.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kent
Except the glue never fail, otherwise using the glue to connect two components in the cooling system is really a stupid design in the engine.
You've never blown a coolant hose on a car that isn't a Porsche?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Who knows? Climate? Less extreme temperature ranges?
But it is important to know, because knowing why is the crux of the issue.

I know a guy in the UK that blew his pipes. Isn't that enough?
No, that's not enough.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, but I have told you repeatedly that there are several guys on a few different forums reporting their pipes popped without their cars ever being driven on a race track.
Several? Several is now an establishment of a design flaw?

And these guys have been the only owners of the cars?

What some people are attempting to do is get a judgement against Porsche that either requires Porsche to weld/pin their coolant pipes, or compensate them monetarily for the cost that was incurred by already having had the pipes welded/pinned. This is a serious allegation that could cost Porsche a substantial amount of money. It would seem clear to even the most casual of observers that obtaining all the facts is critical prior to rendering judgement on Porsche either way.

I assure you that Porsche's attorneys are completely dialed into making sure they have all the relevant facts. We need to hope that the facts are clearly established by the NHTSA and that an accurate judgement is rendered.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you ladies quit bickering?
I really want to follow this thread but my phone keeps going off and it getting rather annoying....lol

You both pose valid points, end of story.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

So you're now moving away from the "public roads" position.

As for whether or not an autocross qualifies as a track, that would be something that would be argued in a court of law.

But attempting to say that someone can legally drive on public roads at the same performance level and at the same exposure level (time) that can be accomplished at the track is a huge stretch.
I wouldn't want to publicize it but I could build a circuit around public roads, that could be used during specific hours that have no monitoring or traffic flow and have flowing aspects that would mimic a track. So yes in practice, I could run these laps and do so for as long as I personally wanted. While adhering to posted speed limits by gearing and not short shifting the gears I can keep the rpm range within the same ranges as what is done on a road coarse or in fact could push the engine harder then what you would be doing on the track.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I wouldn't want to publicize it but I could build a circuit around public roads, that could be used during specific hours that have no monitoring or traffic flow and have flowing aspects that would mimic a track. So yes in practice, I could run these laps and do so for as long as I personally wanted. While adhering to posted speed limits by gearing and not short shifting the gears I can keep the rpm range within the same ranges as what is done on a road coarse.
You can't be serious.

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages