Sponsored by:

NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
How can that be irrelevant? Porsche never designed the 996 series in such a way that they would warranty them if tracked. If cars are used in a way that they weren't sold for it seems it is entirely relevant.
What part of it being a safety issue is so hard to understand?

Only Porsche should be engineering a fix for this, warranty or not. Unfortunately Porsche has proven they will not lift a finger for such a “fix” unless prodded, repeatedly.

All of your bellyaching about “was it tracked, is it modified” is counterproductive, adds nothing to this thread and is getting very annoying.

You’ve made your point and now you are nothing more than a broken record. Please knock it off unless you have something substantial to add to this discussion.

There is no way of knowing 100% for sure if any car was never tracked. What about a PCA weekend when everyone lines up during lunch and goes for a 45 minute joy ride around a race track? Whoops……. Hand in your warranty card, it wasn’t designed for that.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Rob - Do you think you were buying a race car when you bought your 911?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I sense there might be an attempt here to silence someone asking questions people don't like being asked.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I sense there might be an attempt here to silence someone asking questions people don't like being asked.
Your tin foil hat is loose......

If someone was deleting your posts and preveting you from posting you might be onto something.
Please let me know the second that happens.

The very simple and obvious point you are not grasping is Porsche needs to fix this regardless of any warranty violations.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
The very simple and obvious point you are not grasping is Porsche needs to fix this regardless of any warranty violations.
What you're missing is that Porsche needs to offer a fix only if it is legally established that it is a design or manufacturing defect. Part of legally establishing if it is a defect is gathering relevant data, and a critical part of that is determining if leaks/failures are occurring on cars that are being used as Porsche designed them (and warrantied them) to be used.

What's wrong with attempting to see if there is a "tracking" correlation? What do you and others stand to lose if the data and investigation determines that there is no design flaw/defect?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
If someone was deleting your posts and preveting you from posting you might be onto something.
Please let me know the second that happens.
I will if I can.

I find it interesting that some people have come on this 996 Turbo forum and posted what is essentially "STFU" .
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely a safety issue that they should fix. Have you ever seen them go? It's not a leak it's a mass dump of coolant that should never happen under any conditions.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z06801
It's not a leak it's a mass dump of coolant that should never happen under any conditions.
You've never had a coolant hose fail on any car?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Dock I think your multi owner, tracked car line your pushing is BS.

As I posted way back, I am 4th owner of a 2001, the previous owner did extensively tracked the car on r compounds and I have just started tracking it extensively. It is modified and pushing around at least 470 hp. Knock on wood, but it has never have a coolant fitting in it's 12 year old history. I am sure there are plenty of other tracked car that are similar.

Not that a 12 year old Porsche would have warranty but Porsche does not say that if you track your car that it will not be covered. If you race, then you are not covered. There is nothing that I do on a track that I couldn't do on the autobahn or the street. The track just provides a safe place to drive the car as it was meant and designed to be driven.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
...but Porsche does not say that if you track your car that it will not be covered.
Go read your warranty as it existed during the warranty period. In case you don't have the warranty handy, here is what it says...

"This Warranty Does Not Cover

Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use..."

Is that somehow hard to understand?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is nothing that I do on a track that I couldn't do on the autobahn or the street.
Legally? You're telling me you can max perform (and at the same exposure level in terms of time) your car on the street just the way you max perform your car on the track?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Legally? You're telling me you can max perform (and at the same exposure level in terms of time) your car on the street just the way you max perform your car on the track?
Actually on the autobahn I'd be able to hit top speeds that I could never hit on the track becuase the track doesn't have long enough straights. On the street I can take 90 degree corners at posted speed limits which will put maximum g-force on the car and all done legally.
Is Road course the same as track. Is Driver education considered track use?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually on the autobahn I'd be able to hit top speeds that I could never hit on the track becuase the track doesn't have long enough straights. On the street I can take 90 degree corners at posted speed limits which will put maximum g-force on the car and all done legally.
At the same exposure level that a track day exposes the car to? At the same engine compartment heat levels that a track day exposes the car to?

Do you max perform the car coming out of the public street corners?

You're going to try to convince me that you can legally expose your car on public roads to the same mechanical stress at the same exposure times that it faces on a track day?

BTW, there aren't any Autobahns here in the U.S.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

who wants to bet engine compartment temps are higher when idling in 'Hotltanta' traffic than a cold Canadian or Northern Germany trackday????
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just spoke to one of the highest level race shops in USA. They double pin the fittings on all their Cup engines they work on. They have only seen a few failures over the years but do the preventive work on the race prepared cars for years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages