Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

kcal - I guess that may be possible but the investigation is on cars from 2001 to 2007. So keep your hopes up!

"2001 to 2007 involved in an investigation by NHTSA on possible failure of a cooling hose fitting."
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kcal
It seems like that, if there is a recall for free repair, it only applies to cars within 10 years old. Mine is 2001. By definition, it might not be included.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle.
In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like that, if there is a recall for free repair, it only applies to cars within 10 years old. Mine is 2001. By definition, it might not be included.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
According to that info, only model years 2004 and up will be included. That's ****ty.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 PM
kcal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am keeping my hope - there could still be voluntary recall if NHTSA finds any problems. In that case, the recall will not be bound by law. It will be interesting to see how Porsche would handle it.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Subscribed
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We'll see. Porsche has know about this for a long time. Now NHTSA knows. we'll see.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I was contacted today via email by an investigator for the NHTSA based on a report that I filed. While I have not experienced the issue, which I stated when I originally filed the report and did so again in responding to the investigator's email I stated that I was concerned for my personal safety as well as others on the road. When the coolant loss occurs, it will do so rapidly creating a slippery road surface which results in significant loss of traction. I also included a link into the solution that Sharkwerks provides http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
tomofva
Rennlist Member

I may making a deal on a 04 TT this Friday. The car has 45K and has not had the hose connections looked at. Should I be concerned, or consider this situation in my final offer for the car? How may this effect the values for current buyers and sellers?
Thanks !!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tomofva
I may making a deal on a 04 TT this Friday. The car has 45K and has not had the hose connections looked at. Should I be concerned, or consider this situation in my final offer for the car? How may this effect the values for current buyers and sellers?
Thanks !!
I know people that had it happen, but it happened after the fittings were pinned. I suspect their hose split because of the pinning. The 996 GT3 and tt are different beasts. Compression, cooling and red lines are completely different between them. I've seen many GT3 lose coolant but never seen or heard of it happening on a tt. Maybe I haven't been around enough to know but my 7 years driving behind them at the track , have never had a problem. Can't say the same about the GT3 though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

tomofva - no I would not be concerned there are many tt out there that have not had an incident. Can it happen yes, but if you look statistically the ones it has happened to compared to the volume of tt, I would say chances are not that great. It seems to happen to those who track their cars more than occasional or dailey drivers..
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

It wouldn't prevent me from buying another TT even though it has happened to me (https://picasaweb.google.com/mdkelly...IbPs8zl-42g2QE). It is just another thing to know about when you consider buying a car.

It can be dangerous, especially on the track, and more so for the cars following you into a curve or braking zone.

For the most part, these are very reliable cars, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the TT as a daily driver.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

10,000 cars involced but you know better? All the glue will fail. It's just a matter of time. It doesn't matter on or off the track. it is fixed pressure in system. There is a REAL reason that NHTSA has opened the investigation. And yes- I'm not an Engineer but I know. I think the word is "denial"if you think it won't happen to your Mezger engine. Old rubber hoses is another issue. I replaced them all as well. (& safety wired properly)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am keeping my hope - there could still be voluntary recall if NHTSA finds any problems. In that case, the recall will not be bound by law. It will be interesting to see how Porsche would handle it.
Virtually ALL recalls are 'voluntary'...

rarely will a regulatory body need to issue a recall in which the MFG does not cooperate.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Gofishracing - you are making an assumption its all due to pressure, but I think its a better assumption that it is mainly due to the coefficent of expansion and contraction, of which aluminum has more than steel. So when running on the track, the engine is running hotter of which transfers into the engine casing .Hence the suspiscion that track cars suffer from this more.This puts more stress on the epoxy glued joints.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

It is a low pressure system. They are failing due to heat, vibration, age and glue failure. They cheaped out and it should have been a one piece cast. Same situation on track or off. Car probably gets hotter or just as hot sitting in traffic as on the track.

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages