NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You can't be serious.
Oh I am, I all ready have a city track I run. Granted I don't adhere to the exact posted limits but it is possible to do so and actually strain the engine much more then letting it have legs.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Oh I am, I all ready have a city track I run. Granted I don't adhere to the exact posted limits but it is possible to do so and actually strain the engine much more then letting it have legs.
It's not the RPM that is the stand alone heat generator, it's the throttle position that generates the most heat..you know, that "combustion" thing...more gas equals hotter combustion and hotter combustion means higher engine temperatures. You can ride along at redline in 1st gear and the throttle position will not be anywhere close to WOT. Additionally, the more throttle that is used (not the case in your public race track example), the higher the likelihood that the turbos are generating boost, and the heat generated by turbos under full sail boost just adds to the higher engine compartment temperatures. So attempting to say that you can generate the same temperatures driving around at very little throttle at high RPM under no boost as you generate at WOT pulls under full boost to redline is a huge stretch. Hence the "you can't be serious" comment...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK to close thread
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assure you that Porsche's attorneys are completely dialed into making sure they have all the relevant facts. We need to hope that the facts are clearly established by the NHTSA and that an accurate judgement is rendered.
If having all the relevant facts is as important as you say, why are you trying to dissuade people from reporting if they tracked their car? The more information that the NHTSA and the "porsche attorneys" have, the better. Therefore everyone should report their coolant hose failure, regardless of how the car was used or how the car was modified.

Also, the warranty is completely irrelevant. A warranty is a contractual obligation written by Porsche and designed to allow them to not cover as much use as possible. In other words, the way it is written is based on money. Not because of the way the car was designed. I guarantee the engineers played no part in the writing of the warranty.

What the NHTSA is investigating is a safety issue. Unlike a warranty, in a safety investigation money (particularly profits for the business) should not be a factor. And it's more important as to what happens when the part fails than why it failed. Here the failures can be deadly not only to the driver but to other cars on the road. If it's a common failure (even if it's because of relatively hard use) and it's a catastrophic failure, then it's a safety issue and needs to be addressed.

A car is inherently unsafe if you have to say you can only drive it at WOT for X number of seconds otherwise you will spin out of control and cause other drivers to crash.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
If having all the relevant facts is as important as you say, why are you trying to dissuade people from reporting if they tracked their car?
Where on Earth did you come up with the idea that I am trying to dissuade people from reporting??

The devil is in the details. If anything, the NHTSA should be seeking input from all 996 owners, including not only the use history of the car, but also its age and mileage and whether or not each respondent has had any issues at all with the coolant pipes.

And the warranty is in fact relevant because it indicates what Porsche's intent was regarding the use of the car.

Last edited by Dock; 05-21-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
OK to close thread

You'd love that, wouldn't you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
And it's more important as to what happens when the part fails than why it failed. Here the failures can be deadly not only to the driver but to other cars on the road. If it's a common failure (even if it's because of relatively hard use) and it's a catastrophic failure, then it's a safety issue and needs to be addressed
Like coolant fluid has never been dumped out of hoses or radiators before??

And since it's Porsche that's on the hook financially, it is paramount to determine the "why", as there is no reason for them to be on the hook for repairs/ money if the leaks are not the result of their design or manufacturing.

BTW, what is the coefficient of friction of coolant mixed with water? Is it more or less than water on a road?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not the RPM that is the stand alone heat generator, it's the throttle position that generates the most heat..you know, that "combustion" thing...more gas equals hotter combustion and hotter combustion means higher engine temperatures. You can ride along at redline in 1st gear and the throttle position will not be anywhere close to WOT. Additionally, the more throttle that is used (not the case in your public race track example), the higher the likelihood that the turbos are generating boost, and the heat generated by turbos under full sail boost just adds to the higher engine compartment temperatures. So attempting to say that you can generate the same temperatures driving around at very little throttle at high RPM under no boost as you generate at WOT pulls under full boost to redline is a huge stretch. Hence the "you can't be serious" comment...
I think your probably much smarter then me. Though I think your grasping at straws now. Higher rpm put more stress on the engine then a low rpm turbo boost. Why is it that the 996 gt3 with it's lower power but higher rpm seem to exhibit more coolant hose fittings issues then the 996 turbo which has a relatively lower redline?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Higher rpm put more stress on the engine then a low rpm turbo boost.
It's not an entire engine stress issue, it's a coolant pipe fitting stress issue, and I personally believe the stress is mainly heat, not internal parts stress.

Why is it that the 996 gt3 with it's lower power but higher rpm seem to exhibit more coolant hose fittings issues then the 996 turbo which has a relatively lower redline?
Maybe because GT3s see a higher percentage of track time.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

OK let's fight. Since you insist on challenging others "opinions" because of lack of data and continue to present your "opinions"...show me your data and why you think your opinions carry more weight than others!!!

But there is information that indicates there are few coolant pipe failures in Europe. I wonder why?
Really, show me the data? Source please.

If anything, the NHTSA should be seeking input from all 996 owners, including not only the use history of the car, but also its age and mileage and whether or not each respondent has had any issues at all with the coolant pipes.
And the warranty is in fact relevant because it indicates what Porsche's intent was regarding the use of the car.
And you are an expert on how the NHTSA conducts investigations....Really? How do you know what is relevant?

It's not an entire engine stress issue, it's a coolant pipe fitting stress issue, and I personally believe the stress is mainly heat, not internal parts stress issue.
Really and how do you know this? Please show me the data.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What's with the" let's fight" childlessness? The objective of this forum is not to fight, it is to discuss, and discussion does not always involve a group of people with the same opinions.

Did you read my post above where I offered my opinion on how I thought the NHTSA should proceed with gathering information?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

What's with the" let's fight" childlessness? The objective of this forum is not to fight, it is to discuss, and discussion does not always involve a group of people with the same opinions.

Did you read my post above where I offered my opinion on how I thought the NHTSA should proceed with gathering information?
How about lighten up...

Seriously you did not reply to my post at all.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
And you are an expert on how the NHTSA conducts investigations....Really? How do you know what is relevant?
How does offering an opinion regarding the conduct of an investigation indicate that I am calling myself an expert? I do however have experience with aviation accident reconstruction from my time in the in the Air Force where the"why" was the target and finding the why included examining materials failure(s).
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
How about lighten up...

Seriously you did not reply to my post at all.
I had to consider whether or not I wanted to reply based on the "lets fight" comment.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've never had a coolant hose fail on any car?
I would think that the fitting that the hose is attached to would outlast the hose, I never have had a fitting blow off before yet alone 2, one was at 40mph on a public street. The after market doesn't come up with a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, hundreds of these things have came apart.

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages