Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 05:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Met up with a buddy to check out his latest 911....

I was badly outclassed!

Do you know if that car lived in Japan for a while Paul?
The following users liked this post:
996TS (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 11:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Do you know if that car lived in Japan for a while Paul?
Yes, was just imported. Evidently all the Japan imports were spec'ed identically except for paint color. I know many over there led pretty hard lives but this one is pristine and original.
996TS (09-14-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:32 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Yes, was just imported. Evidently all the Japan imports were spec'ed identically except for paint color. I know many over there led pretty hard lives but this one is pristine and original.
That’s what I thought. I remember looking at this car at Chris’s shop a couple of years ago. Very nice car and super rare. We’re all gonna have to catch up one of these days.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:03 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Found this rare car here in Texas, Popeyes, tire balance

That’s what I thought. I remember looking at this car at Chris’s shop a couple of years ago. Very nice car and super rare. We’re all gonna have to catch up one of these days.
Talking about rare, I’m seeing this car on Saturday, ruf gt2. I had a vibration, got the two front tires force balanced vuola excellent. Wanted to make the car perfect as one of my neighbors is interested in buying it. The fastest delivery service out there either Porsche eats or Dash Porsche wife’s lunch.

This is rare car.

As always discount tire took care of me. They even put black weights on the black rims.

First time I ever use the cup holders, design flow right in front of Ac vents.

Wife’s lunch.

I smoked a 8 lb pork butt on Tuesday.

While I was smoking the pork but one of my neighbors stopped asking if I was selling the turbo. I’m really tempted with that ruf gt2 available.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Talking about rare, I’m seeing this car on Saturday, ruf gt2.
It's a very nice car but the RUF mods are a definite detraction from it's value. Lot of people go gaga over anything RUF but this is not a RUF ViN car, it's a factory GT2 with some very basic 20year old RUF mods which are quite antiquated in this day and age. With the rarity of clean GT cars, the mods are a definite negative. The RUF mods consist of a steering wheel, wheels, K24/26 turbochargers, a RUF modified OEM exhaust, a RUF intake, and a RUF ECU. That is all. Everything else is stock including fuel pump and injectors. IF you look at the dyno chart provided, it's an absolute mess. The power/Tq curve is very peaky with two large dips. Power tops out at a rather mediocre 530whp/510tq. The tune unfortunately can not be tweaked as the RUF ECU has a proprietary RUF chip which is write protected and can not be refreshed.. In order to tweak the tune you would need to replace the RUF ecu with a new OEM ECU which could then be flashed.

I used to own a 996 550 Rturbo of the same era and have run into the issues described above. With that said, it's a very nice GT2 and would not take too much money to bring it stock. $5K should get you an new ECU, tune, steering wheel, and OEM badges. Another $3-5K would get you some new wheels. The RUF parts could then be sold to recoup some money.
pirahna (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 11:16 AM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

It's a very nice car but the RUF mods are a definite detraction from it's value. Lot of people go gaga over anything RUF but this is not a RUF ViN car, it's a factory GT2 with some very basic 20year old RUF mods which are quite antiquated in this day and age. With the rarity of clean GT cars, the mods are a definite negative. The RUF mods consist of a steering wheel, wheels, K24/26 turbochargers, a RUF modified OEM exhaust, a RUF intake, and a RUF ECU. That is all. Everything else is stock including fuel pump and injectors. IF you look at the dyno chart provided, it's an absolute mess. The power/Tq curve is very peaky with two large dips. Power tops out at a rather mediocre 530whp/510tq. The tune unfortunately can not be tweaked as the RUF ECU has a proprietary RUF chip which is write protected and can not be refreshed.. In order to tweak the tune you would need to replace the RUF ecu with a new OEM ECU which could then be flashed.

I used to own a 996 550 Rturbo of the same era and have run into the issues described above. With that said, it's a very nice GT2 and would not take too much money to bring it stock. $5K should get you an new ECU, tune, steering wheel, and OEM badges. Another $3-5K would get you some new wheels. The RUF parts could then be sold to recoup some money.
i got every single part to make it stock
Old 09-15-2022, 02:15 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Thank you sir you are a wealth of knowledge

i really like my Car,black is just a pain the as?? To keep clean. I love the way it drives and really the only pending issues and it’s because I’m real ocd about anything mechanical front pads and the rear tires are at 5/32. Fronts are 8/32. Because what you stated I maybe rethinking this whole thing and just see if I can finally contact Scott at softronic and fix the tune on my car. My mechanic and I already spent a whole day on the car and he said it’s pretty solid. Quick question and excuse my ignorance, how different are K24s/18, from K24s/26s.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:06 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
i really like my Car,black is just a pain the as?? To keep clean. I love the way it drives and really the only pending issues and it’s because I’m real ocd about anything mechanical front pads and the rear tires are at 5/32. Fronts are 8/32. Because what you stated I maybe rethinking this whole thing and just see if I can finally contact Scott at softronic and fix the tune on my car. My mechanic and I already spent a whole day on the car and he said it’s pretty solid. Quick question and excuse my ignorance, how different are K24s/18, from K24s/26s.
Your car looks nice but the other car is a GT2. If you can afford the increased price I would much rather have the GT2. I agree with Powderhound that the Ruf mods detract from the price instead of add to it. I would find out how much the parts from sub-zero would be plus labor and your time and subtract that from the cost of a comparable stock GT2 and yes you will have people that will want to buy the Ruf parts if you decide to return it to stock. Or you can keep the Ruf mods and enjoy it as-is but just don't pay a premium for the Ruf mods.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:07 AM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought a steamer recently. It's very useful for cleaning tight areas where you can't get a microfiber/brush in.

The area where the subframe mounts was straight up black before. 21 years of brake dust was just absolutely caked on in there. Came off easily with APC + steamer, but the undercoating/paint is stained a bit still.

The following 2 users liked this post by paopao:
17ram2500 (10-09-2022), Capt. Obvious (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 01:53 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

Another knee surgery so I STILL can't drive my car! The Clutch is too much for it. I'm going to give it til next spring before I decide to sell but I hate having it sit!! At least I can enjoy the Macan!
Old 09-18-2022, 01:58 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by paopao
I bought a steamer recently. It's very useful for cleaning tight areas where you can't get a microfiber/brush in.

The area where the subframe mounts was straight up black before. 21 years of brake dust was just absolutely caked on in there. Came off easily with APC + steamer, but the undercoating/paint is stained a bit still.

What steamer are you using? I seem to only find recommendations for interior
Old 09-18-2022, 02:29 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
What steamer are you using? I seem to only find recommendations for interior
McCulloch MC1385.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:31 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts

Took Blackie on a proper highway run, in the rain with hard out-of-round Pirellis. Vibration starts at the speed limit. So frustrating being passed by salesmen in their rental and company cars.
A few times I got it up to speed. No CEL but pulled some SAI related error codes.
Very high idle when started and I can here a hissing noise from the top of engine. I spray brake cleaner there and the idle goes up. Guess it's time for another engine lowering.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts

Found 1 loose hose clamp on the intake manifold joint boot. Tightened it but it make the leak worse. Now the car is undrivable. And of course stupid me forgot to bring the extension necessary to lower the engine.
Can't remember what else is behind there...
Old 09-19-2022, 10:54 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,087 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Oh that is a bummer.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?