What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
If this is so obvious why doesn't this come standard?
Maybe because the stock aero on the 996 Turbo works just fine up to speeds attainable on the Autobahn?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03 AM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got myself a RUF front bumper and a 7GT3 RS 4.0 decklid fitted to the turbo. GT2 fender liners too. The downforce is improved dramatically. Its the wing of course which does the trick.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Thanks for your explanation...not sure why you're so hung up with rocket science...nothing wrong with science. The thing about science is you develop hypotheses and test them with data. Doesn't matter whether you are applying this to the aerodynamics of rocket flight or an automobile. That is all I was suggesting. If this is so obvious why doesn't this come standard? I know, because they (Porsche, et. al.) are continually experimenting on how to get the best performance/cost benefit...each iteration over the years has attempted to improve and my bet is it will continue...Please don't be offended by my suggestion to test the effects of the mods.
No one is offended nor hung up on anything my friend. It’s just that this is a simple matter of making sure that the radiator air is vented up over the hood instead of under the car where a cushion of air will create lift. No need to back it up with complex data as Porsche has already done the testing on this exact thing. According to Porsche, the 996TT has downforce in the rear and slight lift on the front axle at speed, obviously not enough to matter for street use that the car was designed for. Porsche changed the venting design to that described by the OP here on track oriented models like the 6GT3RS/Cup plus all 997GT cars where front axle downforce is desired in conjunction with larger rear wings for improved straight line stability but more importantly greater cornering speeds. The drive for quicker lap times is the reason for continued aero development. The standard 6GT3 did not have this but many guys have changed to the over the hood venting set up with positive results.

You ask why it doesn’t come standard on the 6TT. You’d have to ask Porsche but my guess is due to the fact that maximizing front downforce was not a high priority on this car which was designed 20 years ago as a luxury GT cruiser where the R&D was focused more on designing a nice soft assisted clutch anyone could operate with ease.

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-10-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 3,083 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
https://youtu.be/uKb8kepJIHE

My new revised engine was put in. 4 liter Carillo rods, mahle pistons and sleaves, GT3 RS4.0 crankshaft, GT3 oilpump.
I bet it thru a code or two...

Sounds real tight, very nice.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
I got myself a RUF front bumper and a 7GT3 RS 4.0 decklid fitted to the turbo. GT2 fender liners too. The downforce is improved dramatically. Its the wing of course which does the trick.
Wow, that is sweet!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,823 Likes on 1,512 Posts

What's different?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Weight reduction ftw.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 AM
03EvoIII
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
What's different?

Looks good Paul! Where did you get the plug from?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,823 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Looks good Paul! Where did you get the plug from?
It's an "Alloy & Carbon" plug that's been sitting on my to-do projects shelf for almost a year. Ended up being super easy,, though I did waste a half hour trying to do the final step myself before recruiting someone for sixty seconds, "put your finger here". LOL.

Their website is down right now (www.alloycarbon.com) but they have them on ebay as well (here). A few styles, including paint to match, about $40 shipped.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
It's an "Alloy & Carbon" plug that's been sitting on my to-do projects shelf for almost a year. Ended up being super easy,, though I did waste a half hour trying to do the final step myself before recruiting someone for sixty seconds, "put your finger here". LOL.

Their website is down right now (www.alloycarbon.com) but they have them on ebay as well (here). A few styles, including paint to match, about $40 shipped.

I've had the same part on my 6TT for 2 years now. Quality product with perfect paint match for my Basalt black.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 PM
zachxlutz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a local vinyl guy wrap the hood with satin black vinyl and tinted the headlights and taillights. I'm happy with how it turned out!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:20 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks cool, though I'd be concerned about brake light visibility.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
...I'd be concerned about brake light visibility.
+1
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM
zachxlutz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Looks cool, though I'd be concerned about brake light visibility.
Originally Posted by Dock
+1
Thanks and to be fair, I’m a little concerned about it as well, I’ve had it out at night and had my friend hit the brakes for me while I walked away and it’s still very visible at night, I think daytime is honestly more of a concern. If I end up not being happy with the degree of tint, it won’t be a problem to have the vinyl guy take it off and use the same tint as the headlights. I do like the way it looks though!

edit: I’ve tossed around the idea of having the tint on just the red removed... I think it would echo the smaller taillights from older generations.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound

No one is offended nor hung up on anything my friend. It’s just that this is a simple matter of making sure that the radiator air is vented up over the hood instead of under the car where a cushion of air will create lift. No need to back it up with complex data as Porsche has already done the testing on this exact thing. According to Porsche, the 996TT has downforce in the rear and slight lift on the front axle at speed, obviously not enough to matter for street use that the car was designed for. Porsche changed the venting design to that described by the OP here on track oriented models like the 6GT3RS/Cup plus all 997GT cars where front axle downforce is desired in conjunction with larger rear wings for improved straight line stability but more importantly greater cornering speeds. The drive for quicker lap times is the reason for continued aero development. The standard 6GT3 did not have this but many guys have changed to the over the hood venting set up with positive results.

You ask why it doesn’t come standard on the 6TT. You’d have to ask Porsche but my guess is due to the fact that maximizing front downforce was not a high priority on this car which was designed 20 years ago as a luxury GT cruiser where the R&D was focused more on designing a nice soft assisted clutch anyone could operate with ease.
Thanks John, sounds like our 996TT friends need to catch up on Porsche history. 000 Issue #5 has an amazing amount of 996 history.

On a side note, I upgraded my "radio" lol and total weight is well under 3k lbs without a 210 lb driver and lots of fuel in the tank. I'll do a final weigh in after dyno runs and classification for 2019 season

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?