Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM
zachxlutz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CCW Wheels

Hey all, I'm new-ish to the forum... I've been lurking and spying for deals on the marketplace and decided it was time to post up my car. I don't think I need a whole thread to myself, so here she is. I bought it off of @Big Swole and I've steadily been cleaning it up and doing some modding, planning future mods. It's an early model '01 with the bumper warts (GT2 BUMPER, I WANT YOU) and failed spoiler rams. Since I picked it up in April of this year, I've removed the rear wiper, replaced the headlight switch, added an ebay special "Becker" catless x-pipe exhaust, paint correction, CCW C10 wheels with GT2 sized rubber, swapped all the interior bulbs to LED and added in smoked side markers (not shown in photo). The car is up on jack stands right now getting "detailed" in the wheel wells and adding bullet nose wheel studs. I'm currently waiting on lightly tinted lamin-x to show up for the headlights/taillights.

Going forward, I'd like to add Ohlins/Bilstein coilovers, UMW tune, Numeric shifter, GT2 front bumper/spoiler. Some repairs the car needs is that the dash leather has peeled back, the soft-touch surfaces in the interior need to have the finish removed and painted body color, windshield washer needs repair, a few rattles in the interior need to be sorted out, the power steering pump seems to be whining as well as the fuel pump, so those need to be sorted out.

I think that's it. Thanks for looking!
Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice. The bumper warts don't look bad on a black car. Before you dig into the whining pump, remove / loosen the belt and check all pulleys by hand for rattle, etc. I was 100% sure my pump was bad but it turned out to only be an idler pulley, so I replaced both idlers and the tensioner as they appeared to all be the same vintage. My "whining" pump noise was 100% rpm-dependent, turning the steering wheel or pumping the clutch while idling made no diff in the whining / groaning sound. My point is a bad idler can sound exactly like a pump going bad.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:05 PM
zachxlutz
Advanced

Originally Posted by T Kono
Nice. The bumper warts don't look bad on a black car. Before you dig into the whining pump, remove / loosen the belt and check all pulleys by hand for rattle, etc. I was 100% sure my pump was bad but it turned out to only be an idler pulley, so I replaced both idlers and the tensioner as they appeared to all be the same vintage. My "whining" pump noise was 100% rpm-dependent, turning the steering wheel or pumping the clutch while idling made no diff in the whining / groaning sound. My point is a bad idler can sound exactly like a pump going bad.
They don't look too bad in photos, but they really bother me... I've found a local bumper for sale for $250.00 that doesn't have the warts, but I'd still be sourcing the grill vents and needing to get it painted, so I may just hold off until I find a GT2 bumper cover.

Interesting thought on the idlers and tensioner. I'll look into that. That would be much more cost effective.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:14 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
The Apex wheels on your white Turbo is what convinced me to pull the trigger! Gorgeous car... I will also say that the Anthracite color looks way better in person than it did in the renderings... I already have a set of silver wheels and black wheels, so anthracite was the clear choice!

What front spoiler is this? I like.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM
zachxlutz
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
What front spoiler is this? I like.
Joe Toth
Old 11-03-2018, 04:23 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Made the car ready for winter.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:42 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Finally got my roll bar and Alien seats installed
Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm working on a combo street/ track day car. Please tell me where you got your seats!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:53 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

They pop up from time to time on Rennlist - and 6 speed and PCA classifieds. Think these were on rennlist classifieds - although I can't imagine there being many sets of grey euro GT3 seats out there.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

DIY removal of the clear bra today with a heat gun. Took me <2 hours to remove the film, left over adhesive and clay bar the exposed surface. Happy as hell that the I suffered zero paint damage. Saved $500 - shop quote to remove it.

Tomorrow I'll get 2 coats of Jet Seal & 1 coat of Carnauba on it before installing my new hood emblem.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
They pop up from time to time on Rennlist - and 6 speed and PCA classifieds. Think these were on rennlist classifieds - although I can't imagine there being many sets of grey euro GT3 seats out there.

Damn!

Euro GT3 in Graphite grey are RARE
Old 11-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Hey Brother!! Man you got my old car looking Great!!!

Glad to see you hear. Keep us posted.

Oh, and YES, you need you're own thread!! Don't short change yourself. Post a thread about it and the progress made. Keep me posted on it (send me the link when you do.)

Congrats!!

Originally Posted by zachxlutz

Hey all, I'm new-ish to the forum... I've been lurking and spying for deals on the marketplace and decided it was time to post up my car. I don't think I need a whole thread to myself, so here she is. I bought it off of @Big Swole and I've steadily been cleaning it up and doing some modding, planning future mods. It's an early model '01 with the bumper warts (GT2 BUMPER, I WANT YOU) and failed spoiler rams. Since I picked it up in April of this year, I've removed the rear wiper, replaced the headlight switch, added an ebay special "Becker" catless x-pipe exhaust, paint correction, CCW C10 wheels with GT2 sized rubber, swapped all the interior bulbs to LED and added in smoked side markers (not shown in photo). The car is up on jack stands right now getting "detailed" in the wheel wells and adding bullet nose wheel studs. I'm currently waiting on lightly tinted lamin-x to show up for the headlights/taillights.

Going forward, I'd like to add Ohlins/Bilstein coilovers, UMW tune, Numeric shifter, GT2 front bumper/spoiler. Some repairs the car needs is that the dash leather has peeled back, the soft-touch surfaces in the interior need to have the finish removed and painted body color, windshield washer needs repair, a few rattles in the interior need to be sorted out, the power steering pump seems to be whining as well as the fuel pump, so those need to be sorted out.

I think that's it. Thanks for looking!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to capture some of the fall colours.....think I was a bit too late.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:24 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I left it inside today because of the smoke from the Woolsey fire. :-(
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..drove yesterday for the first time in a while after getting front bearings replaced. I’m in love all,over again...what a car...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?