Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank You
Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Thank You
no, thank YOU!.. and for not being a D*CK about "it"
Old 10-23-2015, 03:14 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

The tighter the track, road, or canyon is, the more important it is to be able to have greater control over part throttle operation. Any instructor teaching performance driving 101 will tell you to be smooth and gradual with your throttle application starting at the apex all the way to turn exit smoothly squeezing on the throttle as you unwind the steering wheel. Having the throttle slam open as fast as possible is the exact opposite of what you want and will have a tendency to unsettle the car thus limiting traction and impeding forward momentum. You want the car at the threshold of grip, which is a fine line. Smooth is fast, jerky is not. This is especially important in these tuned cars which have huge amounts of torque that will break the wheels loose very easily. As such, having better less sensitive part throttle operation is imperative when mid corner in the heat of battle. The booster does the exact opposite. From a performance standpoint, the only place I see a faster throttle opening to be an advantage (maybe) is in a straight line drag race when speed shifting.

I do get why people like these boosters in day to day driving as they make the car feel more "peppy" with a perceived increase in performance for a give throttle pedal movement. I liked it for daily driving on my M3 as it made the car feel more alive in normal driving. Most people are not tracking these cars as they are mainly street use for most. If you like how the booster feels than who cares what other say? It's all about enjoying your car. However, If you are serious about maximizing on track performance or performance in the twisties, this is the wrong mod.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by powdrhound
If you are serious about maximizing on track performance or performance in the twisties, this is the wrong mod.
i don't yet know that to be true john. the jury is still out. i am however noticing a *barely* perceptible "flat spot" at roughly 4k rpm, when in "RED" "mode". but this is not going to be ( nor has it ) been figured out in the first few drives, obviously! who knows, it may be great for some launches or "rolls",.. but NOT for quick blasts up/down and around 15mph right-handers!? too soon to ( fairly ) tell.

but it WILL be figured out by me.. ( for me ) by DRVING it, not by talking about it.

what i can say, definitively, is that the throttle response occurs much more quickly ( if i had to guess? i'd say 25/30% ) from stock, but then i have to take into account that my fuel trims(?) ( forgive me if i have misapplied the usage/terminology herein, owing to my lack of "general knowledge" of the topic! ).. but it may(?) have been altered as part and parcel of my tune those many years ago?, so there could in fact be a "built in" conflict right there, no?!?

we shall see. in the meantime, this appears to confirm that throttle feathering is much more difficult thereby making it much more optimal
fot the street, and not good for track use for the reasons you mention. many of those same situations are found in rallye/hillclimbing etc. which would tend to support your conjecture. you could well be "right" when all is SAID (lol) and done. but i'll need to "prove" that to myself.

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...n-a-986-a.html

add: it is NOT "jerky"!! i may be, but "IT" is not. trust me.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I do not understand what people's beef is with this mod.

How it works has been fully dissected and its pros and cons fully debated. Almost everyone, I and mean everyone, who has bought and installed one is very happy with it.

What is the purpose of raining on their parade?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I do not understand what people's beef is with this mod.

How it works has been fully dissected and its pros and cons fully debated. Almost everyone, I and mean everyone, who has bought and installed one is very happy with it.

What is the purpose of raining on their parade?
There's a better way to handle this without hacking apart your electrical system. Throttle response based off pedal position can easily be remapped through an aftermarket tuner.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by volv4life
There's a better way to handle this without hacking apart your electrical system. Throttle response based off pedal position can easily be remapped through an aftermarket tuner.
You are not hacking apart anything. You unplug the eThottle harness and plug the Sprint Booster in and then plug the eThrottle in to it. There is no hacking of the electrical system at all. It is plug and play.

Again it amazes me how people who have no experience with the product are making critical remarks.

And don't me wrong I have zero skin in this game. I do not have a Sprint Booster in my car and never will because I do a lot of track driving and I am happy with the throttle response the OEM throttle mapping offers in that environment.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:47 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone measured the lag (if any) when the throttle is commanded to open 100% instantly to when the throttle plate opens 100%? Obviously on a conventional throttle mechanism, there will be no lag at all because the pedal and throttle plate are mechanically connected.

Dan
Old 10-23-2015, 04:52 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

you guys should try thing this thing

carlo.. the general beef isn't with the gizmo itself, its the general dislike of my online persona masquerading as a dislike or disdain for a part that they have (a) never even tried and (b) would disdain simply because i am in favor of it.

its psych 101 lol.

...and yes, there's no "hacking". you're unplugging one module, and replacing it with another. that simple.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dprantl
Has anyone measured the lag (if any) when the throttle is commanded to open 100% instantly to when the throttle plate opens 100%? Obviously on a conventional throttle mechanism, there will be no lag at all because the pedal and throttle plate are mechanically connected.

Dan
That data can be found here.

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
......carlo.. the general beef isn't with the gizmo itself, its the general dislike of my online persona masquerading as a dislike or disdain for a part that they have (a) never even tried and (b) would disdain simply because i am in favor of it......
Either way it is still BS on their part.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Either way it is still BS on their part.
yes, thanks, and some rather dubious piles of "it" at that!

i see it this way, ..it's one thing to argue the efficacies of something provided that ( oh, that one minor detail that won't go away, dammit ! ) one is arguing the merits with others, that have actually... TRIED IT!!?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not understand what people's beef is with this mod... ...What is the purpose of raining on their parade?
I explained exactly what my purpose was in post #63 above:
Originally Posted by SteveMFr
Personally I prob have a couple of issues with the sprintbooster - and no, I have never driven a car with one installed. I have read about them, tho, and issue number one is that it does not seem to make sense. No need to elaborate as all was discussed above. The second issue is the price these things go for. I am part of a co that makes automotive diagnostic systems and electronic accessories (not for Porsche) and I know what is involved in their development. And I know what it takes to make a sprintbooster - there is a lot of room for a healthy profit. And those 2 items taken together suggest snake oil.
Aside from my tongue-in-cheek digs at the sprintbooster, I believe that I have remained relatively objective and neutral in this discussion.

And to sum up what I believe is not ok about a sprintbooster for people interested in driving fast around corners, read Powderhound's post #78 above and then the below (taken from the pdf you linked to):
What does this mean? Basically, the Sprint Booster makes the accelerator pedal about 30% more sensitive. A side effect, which can readily be seen in the graphs in Figure 3 and Figure 4, is that the accelerator pedal becomes dead beyond about two thirds travel with Sprint Booster.

I remember reading an article about a journalist who drove a NASCAR car several years ago, and he commented specifically on how long the throttle pedal travel was.

It is a non-issue to understand why a sprint booster is fun - my ultimate edition push switch from above would be fun too. But not fast.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
carlo.. the general beef isn't with the gizmo itself, its the general dislike of my online persona masquerading as a dislike or disdain for a part that they have (a) never even tried and (b) would disdain simply because i am in favor of it.
Now that is just silly. First, I have no reason to dislike you - and I don't. I can't imagine Powderhound's opinion of you is any different. Second, this is a discussion forum. For 996 TTs. Is this not what we are doing? Do I have to agree with everything in order to post?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I explained exactly what my purpose was in post #63 above:

I think this line from your post #63 says it all.

"...and no, I have never driven a car with one installed...."

Again you and the others have no first hand experience with the product yet you continue to make critical remarks.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Now that is just silly. First, I have no reason to dislike you - and I don't. I can't imagine Powderhound's opinion of you is any different. Second, this is a discussion forum. For 996 TTs. Is this not what we are doing? Do I have to agree with everything in order to post?
no of course you don't, but your post presupposes i was addressing you specifically ( and i was not unless you count our upthread interaction several upthread pages ago )

when in fact more recently i was actually commenting to carlo about something carlo posted querying as to explanations as to seeming vehemence in here surrounding the opposition to MY having purchased a sprint booster. so why you presumed steve, i was addressing you? when i suggested that this recent several page debate was as much about "MY" having purchased "it" as it was any hard factual data offered by ANY ONE person that I was wasting my time and etc. no one offered anything but primarily positive reviews, and it was i MYSELF, who posted the only ones i could find that explained ( albeit anecdotally ) as to why they might not be optimal for wot throttle to be SOONER achieved in "track" situations. but pwdrhound offered that possibility as well. so far and up/downhills? i haven't seen an issue with achieving WOT sooner, than the stock throttle mapping allows.

so while it may well have been about "me"? ( it's possible..), it was never about 'you". not possible lol. why you felt the need to "personalize" that? is curious, and lends credence to my earlier theory. but it matters not. you hadn't tried it, yet clearly disdained it use as little more than a gimmick, and have in spite of your wealth of experience in all things automotive, have been "wrong" about it, at least from where i sit, having installed it and by now using it! ( though "testing it" would be the more accurate descriptive ).

so yes, i can see now why so many people enjoy this 140$ gizmo. or maybe i just like it all the more at 1/2 price lol,

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!