Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
From what I have read about 99% of Sprint Booster buyers are very happy with the results so there is definitely something to it.

I am not really interesting in buying one but I was curious so I set up a listing notification on eBay for the model that fits the 996. I have had the notification active for almost two years and no one has list a used one for sale on eBay in that time. That says something.
Well, there you go. They cant all be wrong or imagining the results.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
From what I have read about 99% of Sprint Booster buyers are very happy with the results so there is definitely something to it.

I am not really interesting in buying one but I was curious so I set up a listing notification on eBay for the model that fits the 996. I have had the notification active for almost two years and no one has list a used one for sale on eBay in that time. That says something.
yes, thanks..and for my part, having read of it before but never knowing personally of anyone having tried it(!?) when i saw the offer in here at 3AM for 140 and no one had yet responded.. i said wtf have i got to lose!?!

well, not a whole helluva lot lol. it's amazing when people confuse the reason(s?) why i may be an a**hole. well, it won't be because i deigned to put a "sprint booster gizmo" in my car! that's for sure hah.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
steven, thats fantastic! maybe i can get rid of this tattered phone book! lol. but there is no "exactly, nor is there any "black vs white and/or cut and dried" end of story "answer" to ANY of this topic, unless of course your name is d**k. which it clearly is not. but..

seriously though.. can ANYone envision, or would use of this ( hypothetically, of course ) make any sense to you guys that disdain its use ( or even that it exists lol, presumably without ever having TRIED IT!? lol ).. so here's my:

(Q) if you, ( or anyone ) were lets say, driving a mid level respectably setup and modded tt around ( i.e.. and by way of example.. ) 15 mph corners with a 9%/12% uphill grade? understand there might in point if fact, actually be some benefit achieved in reaching wot "sooner" without the NEED for pedal mashing? .. so,.. all i am asking of you ( checking my OWN thinking here, against those whose opinions i value ) is,

do you or anyone else here understand and imagine there might be a potential benefit in reaching wot with less pedal movement??! under ANY scenario if not what i have proffered?

asking again: can you imagine, given that scenario, and the limitations of actual room and driving area space, in which reaching 100% open throttle faster/sooner/quicker might benefit me at all? i am NOT tracking the car, those days are behind it. i am driving up uninhabited wildly s shaped corners, up and down with speeds ranging from 15 to *** in a canyon.

does ANYone here, understand my thinking on this?! knowing that i myself have NOT yet tried this gizmo. though with that said, i'll be the FIRST guy to admit it was a "mistake", should that end up being the case.

i suppose what i'm asking, is given the hypothetical i have proposed ( which is my daily driving situation and condition(s) ) does this ( on paper, so to speak ) "possibility" make ANY sense to ANYone other than myself?!

or does throttle input being quickened ( even though we already KNOW this can be achieved thru re-mapping of the ecu to reach the same "result"! ) make ANY sense to ANYone of the doubters under ANY set of conditions, and if so?? what "might" they be?? if not those i have outlined.

i'd genuinely appreciate hearing some agreeance or even more importantly the explanation ( taking into account my EXACT scenario outlined in my "hypothetical!" ) if not just some admitting that the "potential" for improvement exists. again, given what i have outlined as my intended hope, vis a vis my daily drives. any seriously thought out rebuttal or reason WHY this does not have the potential for "benefit", will be appreciated.

i have no vested stake in this working ( or not ) beyond, as i've said, 140 USD. lol.

but given i've shared WHY i believe it "MAY"?! be an "improvement", ( and obviously taking into account how and where i plan to employ its use ) i'd really like to hear WHY it wont help me to achieve said goal. TIA.
Wow. Helluva rebuttal.

Let me take a quick step back here... Personally I prob have a couple of issues with the sprintbooster - and no, I have never driven a car with one installed. I have read about them, tho, and issue number one is that it does not seem to make sense. No need to elaborate as all was discussed above. The second issue is the price these things go for. I am part of a co that makes automotive diagnostic systems and electronic accessories (not for Porsche) and I know what is involved in their development. And I know what it takes to make a sprintbooster - there is a lot of room for a healthy profit. And those 2 items taken together suggest snake oil.

Bottom line, tho, is if you are happy with it. It does affect the throttle opening curve - it makes it steeper. As you said (if I understood correctly), maybe this is exactly what you need to be quicker for your driving. And even if not, maybe you'll just enjoy it. And if that's the case, f..k what anyone else says.

So get it installed and let us know! Quickly!

One last dig (can't resist): sprintbooster ultimate edition

Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr

One last dig (can't resist): sprintbooster ultimate edition

Good dig...it gets to the heart of the issue.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Wow. Helluva rebuttal.

Let me take a quick step back here... Personally I prob have a couple of issues with the sprintbooster - and no, I have never driven a car with one installed. I have read about them, tho, and issue number one is that it does not seem to make sense. No need to elaborate as all was discussed above. The second issue is the price these things go for. I am part of a co that makes automotive diagnostic systems and electronic accessories (not for Porsche) and I know what is involved in their development. And I know what it takes to make a sprintbooster - there is a lot of room for a healthy profit. And those 2 items taken together suggest snake oil.

Bottom line, tho, is if you are happy with it. It does affect the throttle opening curve - it makes it steeper. As you said (if I understood correctly), maybe this is exactly what you need to be quicker for your driving. And even if not, maybe you'll just enjoy it. And if that's the case, f..k what anyone else says.

So get it installed and let us know! Quickly!
thanx for the comical acknowledgement that it may or may not be to my liking. i wont lie when i say that the primary motivating factor in my purchase of the thing was in fact that it was less than half price and as stated upthread if it does't work to my liking and i find it an exercise in pointlessness ( beyond having given me something to speculate about for this week lol ) then (...and this part of my thinking has been amended..) my GF wont eat for a day. hah!

so thanks again, for the reasonable allowance of the possibility that given i round 15mph corners at speed and often dont have the luxury of being able to full pedal ( this is difficult apparently for "some" to understand"! ) and that a faster wot with less physical input might well be an "advantage" to me in THOSE scenarios.

freeway pulls/onramp/airstrips and the like, i agree, it would be difficult to imagine any benefit to even having it. but that's 10% of my driving

but i'm hoping that was not some deviate sexual aid gif you posted as it appears ( at least to me ) that surely belongs where the sun does not shine, and charlie don't play hah.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:29 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

but i'm hoping that was not some deviate sexual aid gif you posted as it appears ( at least to me ) that surely belongs where the sun does not shine, and charlie don't play hah.

You mean the pic that Dock quoted above? It's a simple push-switch. Idle to WOT in less than 5mm.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:27 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

You mean the pic that D*ck quoted above? It's a simple push-switch. Idle to WOT in less than 5mm.
thankfully, i am no longer able to see the majority of that which he (?) posts. however, that something i am told resembles a butt plug originated from him(?!) or even possibly his (?!?) private pic collection? wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:13 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh my fkn god dan. no I'm NOT saying I'm INcapable of pushing the throttle pedal to the floor! what i'm saying is...

never mind lol
Jeez, chill out. Not everyone is born with fast feet

Dan.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

exactly its a bit like having a political opinion and not voting, try it guys then comment or ... stay positive
Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

does exactly what is it supposed to do. increased throttle response by 33 & 1/3% lol

well worth the money and the wait to install. i just cant figure out why the red light ( go "fast" mode indicator ) is still lit when engine off.

would buy again. doubters...( none of whom ever tried it. that figures ) HAH!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:54 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

No one ever doubted that it would actually work. We just doubted that it makes sense. Still do.

But, as I said before, if it wiggles your ***** and you're happy, then screw what anyone else says. More power to ya! (actually in this case that should be re-phrased: Quicker power (and less control) to ya! )
Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

: Quicker power (and less control) to ya! )
quicker not "more powerful" would the the more accurate description, yes, but there is no doubt as to to whether or not the throttle response is "quicker". it is.

whether ( or not ) that results in my having "less" control over the vehicle than i "had" prior to installing it, calls for you to speculate as to my skills behind the wheel, which you may or may not do at your leisure.

i will say that at dusk after install last evening i did not get enough time driving it except some quick and sharp twists at dusk. as to whether or not the increased throttle input may result in less "control"?? i cant yet say ( though YOU have lol ), but it makes things happen more quickly of that i am certain, so that could surely end up being the result. but "more quickly" there is no doubt it does. the throttle that is lol.

more of MY OWN testing will have to occur before i render any final judgment, though mine will at least be based upon my personal experience, rather than conjecture, and i'll thank you to leave my "*****" out of this lol.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Look forward to more on this. How was the "take-away" from a dead stop at an intersection say. Did it feel sharper, easier to launch etc? Thanks for enduring this thread and for following through. Much appreciated!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

We just doubted that it makes sense. Still do.
Agreed.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by christallon
Look forward to more on this. How was the "take-away" from a dead stop at an intersection say. Did it feel sharper, easier to launch etc? Thanks for enduring this thread and for following through. Much appreciated!
sharper, in all respects when seriously mashing the pedal. overall, it's too soon to tell where the advantages exist beyond the obvious wot being reached much more quickly vis a vis actual throttle pedal "travel". but from a standing start I have not yet noticed any difference at all, moreso and more obviously when wot I feel it occurring much more quickly, but have not had nearly enough seat time to make an honest evaluation as to whether or not that is going to be a "full time" "benefit" or only under certain circumstances.

again, only more seat time will enable me to make a more informed judgment on that. then there is the aspect of the two separate and distinctly different "modes" green ( MID ) and red ( full on WOT ). TBD..and more to follow. ( or not ).

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!