Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried a throttle reset with the sprint booster installed?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
oh yeah, you mean just reset w key on 60 sec's until the tb clicks/resets? like when you unplug the maf and reset?.. yeah, but for sh*ts and giggles i'll do it again tomorrow am and see if anything changes. i'm not taking it out for a cpl days. but neither am i "using" it. but rather i'm just leaving it "off". off is still "off" whether its installed or not.

i'm a huge subscriber to the "what's the last thing you did before the "issue" began"? school of thought

but sure i'll try it again, it's a minute outa my life lol
thanks.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
just did another reset. but i refuse to even TOUCH the on/off button on the SB. I'm convinced the tuned ecu doesn't dig the throttle mapping changes at the push of a button. my idle after rest is holding steady 750/800.

I'm taking the thing out.. and maybe thats why the guy here sold it to me? maybe he knew something i didn't? who knows. NBD.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
ok, fellas... for those that even care..

its been about 45 days +/- since my install. now i will not at all backpedal or rescind my initially favorable comments regarding the results and how it performs.. or i should say, causes the throttle mapping to "quicken" for lack of any proper technical term, but here's the deal.

there are three modes. off/green/red. in order of how dramatically different the mapping signal it sends to the DBW throttle responds.. whatever it is. i'm no "tech" or knowledgeable in the least, when it comes to how something like this works, beyond a tenuous understanding of it. i get it though, it's like a "sport" button, which we've all had before, and works in much the same way.

so, here's the deal.

ever since day one ( or 2/3? ) i began to notice this odd idle fluctuation that the car has had before when there was a minor vac leak? or a failing maf. y'all know the kind.. 770rpm up to 1k, then slowly back down to normal 750/800. now, nothing "dramatic" or even annoying to the degree that some might even notice or be bothered by this anomalous behavior. but for most of us and our obsessively attuned recognition of even the most subtle and seemingly "minor"changes to how the car operates? it might well bug any of "us"..

so, after a boost leak check and the replacing of a hose that had ( believe it or not ) nothing at ALL to do with this fluctuation to which i referred i have no choice but to conclude that my 10+ year old cargraphic flashed ecu simply does NOT like having an exterior "add on" gizmo altering the throttle mapping of the ecu, at the push of a button. this is my highly unscientific, yet fairly certain conclusion. i could be wrong? but i'm going to remove it, go back to my "normal 1.1.5 cargraphic tune which has been trouble free since the day it was installed a decade ago with the "usual" complementary bolt on bits, and see if this eliminates any/all idle fluctuation, as i can no longer abide it. though i DID thoroughly enjoy the "RED" mode for driving such as i do up very steep and hardcore twists and switchback two lanes. for that? it really suits the car, and helps to have the faster throttle input with LESS actual throttle pedal travel, though i refuse to debate the pros and cons of THAT any further LOL..

so in there interest of fair and balanced reportage, just thought i'd "share". i'll post again once its removed and I've ascertained to my satisfaction that it was indeed, the "gizmo" messing with my ecu? or not. i just know you're all hanging on the edge of your seats, waiting to know.
this is why i recommended an aftermarket remap from the get go. this modifies the voltage signal.. you're going to have inconsistencies. if anyone wants to argue some more i have some electric turbo's i'll sell you.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by volv4life
this is why i recommended an aftermarket remap from the get go. this modifies the voltage signal.. you're going to have inconsistencies. if anyone wants to argue some more i have some electric turbo's i'll sell you.
i missed your recommendation. i was probably too busy fending off the detractors!,.. the majority of whom had probably never even tried it. i think on an untuned car it might have been fine. my car has just enough going on that the switching the throttle mapping ( again ) at the push of a button ( and 3 modes, no less ) was just too much for this old ecu to properly and quickly adjust to.

it's not a big deal. it was a 140 part. it would however have been helpful to know from others if there had been issues with it, but none really were found ( though i think the thread had plenty of dissenters but that had more to do the logistical aspects as opposed to the "device" itself! )..

though i also strongly suspect the vast majority of users were n/a non tuned cars, but thats purely conjecture.

again, nbd. its just idle fluctuation LOL. its not like the fkn car went "kaboom"! lol
Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My largest problem with the product is that it doesn't solve any of the real issues I have with the throttle.

The first being that the problem I have is its ability to close the throttle quick enough and hard enough. The whole soft rev drop to me is extremely annoying.

The second is that the throttle programming will not allow for left foot braking as it cuts throttle which is a safety feature but also extremely annoying. Any good programmer knows you simply set a condition based on system pressure once it passes a reasonable left foot braking threshold your throttle cuts out.

The Third, We have an electronic throttle for traction control but it was designed by someone who really sucks at their job. There is so much room for improvement in programming that I don't even know where to begin. Real Traction control changes could make these cars to much faster at the track or on the strip.

The worst part is almost no one is taking advantage of these improvements.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i can't tell if your complaints relate to an rwd version of the car? but what i liked the MOST about the SB was that it achieved such faster throttle input with less pedal movement which was a really helpful reality when going up and down hills.

in traffic it was not at ALL a plus. it was way too quick in terms of input. consequently, i would switch it back and forth from "off" to "red" mode, ( bypassing "green" = middle mode ) and that was, i believe, the real source of MY issues with it.

i still have to fully remove it to put this conjecture to rest, once and for all. as i said, for now it's just simply "off". which means the throttle mapping the ecu is currently using is unaffected by the gizmo.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Timbo3000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love my sprint booster big improvement IMO
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
just did another reset. but i refuse to even TOUCH the on/off button on the SB. I'm convinced the tuned ecu doesn't dig the throttle mapping changes at the push of a button. my idle after rest is holding steady 750/800.

I'm taking the thing out.. and maybe thats why the guy here sold it to me? maybe he knew something i didn't? who knows. NBD.
Not sure who's tune you have....but i doubt it's the tune
I have markski tune on one car and cobb on the other
Both have SB's....no issue you're having
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Timbo3000
AutoX

I have a protomotive tune no issues with my SB
Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

guys, i'm clueless. i had no issues before, and now i do. only change was the SB. if i remove it, and have NO further issue..AND can fully eliminate a minor vac leak since those are the symptoms that i am experiencing to a "T"?

then i'm going to ( again ) go back to ..
what's the last thing ya did/changed" and be done with it.

i'm running a decade old cargraphic 1.2 tune that was initially setup for the 16/24's and 5bar. only other bolt on in is an ipd and catless kline. nothing else at ALL has been changed. believe me, it's a quandary, and i'm stumped. the thing WORKS! there is NO doubt of that!

but i was all over 1.3 yesterday ( with the SB OFF! ) and once again at idle sitting pretty @ 750/800rpm, as i said. after re-trying the TB reset ( at jeanmarcs suggestion, was a decent idea..) and again no change, so..if the cars not performing inconsistently WITHOUT the SB ''ON"?!? but IS behaving peculiarly re: throttle or idle fluctuation as in a minor vac leak?!? well, then..

then what am i to deduce?

i suppose the KEY to finally eliminate the question would certainly be to properly boost leak test @ the turbo's but unfortunately have not had the time to get to my buddy's that has the tester/compressor etc, but i would sure like to. i don't like mystery and confusion, and i "did" like the SB. unless! it's helping to cause this. going back to "volvo4lifes" suggestion? perhaps it really DOES need a tune to compensate, but other cars do not? so i don't even have a "guess" as to what that leaves me with, beyond it *possibly*? being more trouble than "it" is worth.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:29 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by geetee
Not sure who's tune you have....but i doubt it's the tune
I have markski tune on one car and cobb on the other
Both have SB's....no issue you're having
BOTH!? are tuned,. AND have the sb and zero issues?! you're killin me LOL.

do you run it in red? and mess with it? or just leave it "on"?
i will admit to having fooled around with the modes, but given there are THREE? i kinda had to fool with it, to see what i did/didn't "have"? I'm sure(?) you did the same when new! believe me, i am fully stumped on this one. i'd LOVE it if i could say with any certainty i simply had a minor vac leak!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Timbo3000
AutoX

Im going to take my SB off just because Ive had for so long i dont really remember how good the difference it made was.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

its huge! from "off" to "red"?? instantly different response lol
Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 PM
dlmack111
Track Day

Default Sprint Booster Failure!

So here is my story.....bought the sprint Booster in October (from sponsor GMP). I like it....like the options, feels like a different car. December comes around, driving home, car won't rev past 2k (limp mode). Get home, immediately remove the Sprint Booster, everything is fine(yes all the connections were fine). So I email them, they will warranty it....but, I ask for a refund (even though I am past my 30 days), they say all they can do is replace. I tell them I am really not comfortable with this item now, I do track the car, and it could be dangerous.....Sorry, can't help. I don't drive the car every day.....maybe if I did it would have failed within the 30 days???? Just food for thought, drive the crap out of it if you get one, make sure you get a good one.

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!