Sprint Booster Install on a 986

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sprint Booster Install on a 986

Sprint Booster - 986

Before everyone reads this third party critique, please know that in no way am I affiliated with GMP performance products, nor the manuafacturer of this device, nor being paid for this thread post in anyway.

I agreed to guinea pig this device primarily because it had never been tested in one of our 986 model cars, but another forum member had installed one in his 996 C4 tiptronic and thought it was worth it.

So after a little skeptism and a shot of snake oil, I figured what the hell and ordered the little Sprint Booster to find out if it does indeed do what it claims.

I am going to show you in this post how to install the Sprint Booster and tell you my independent thoughts, from complexity of install to real world road testing results.

The car we will be installing this into is a 2001 986 S - Manual Transmission. For whatever reason, you need to specify when you order the Sprint Booster whether you have manual or tiptronic.

Test Mule

Name:  Test Subject.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  46.0 KB

Pictures of the Sprint Booster...

Name:  The package.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  The contents.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  the device.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  38.3 KB

Now to the install....

Firstly, I can say that the install for this device is about as complicated and an ignition switch replacement.

For those that do not know about this, you eventually will as the electronic ignition portion of 986's and 996's have to be replaced every so often because they wear out. You will know when it needs replacement too because the following symtoms start occuring...

1. Difficulty getting your key into the ignition.

2. Key may want to stay in ignition or doesn't want to turn correctly...so you start having to play with it in order to get it out. If you don't your power will drain soon. Lights may come on and do funny stuff too.

3. Car will not start - worst case scenario and almost happened to me. Thanks to a little playing with the key, I finally got the car started.

The ignition part is cheap, and the install takes about 20-30 minutes ok.

Breathe easy...the Sprint Booster is not hard to install, but I am discussing ignition switch replacement because if you are going to the trouble if installing the Sprint Booster, go ahead and order an ignition switch too and install them both at the same time.

Ductwork removal...

When I say this Sprint Booster install relates to the ignition switch install, the ones that have completed this task know that you have to remove the plastic ductwork in order to get to the electronics of the car...this is what the ductwork looks like and it IS NOT HARD to remove. It's like an accordian so you just wiggle it out, but there are NO screws to take out here. Just be easy and don't force it.

Here is a picture of what it looks like once you get it out....

Name:  Air duct removal.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  53.1 KB

Now for the location where Sprint Booster is installed...

Once the ductwork is out of the way, you will need to take a phillips head screw driver and remove one screw holding yet another piece of ductwork. This piece has lots of holes in it.

DO NOT remove this piece as it's connected to another, but by removing the screw, it enables you to move it out of the way just enough in order to get to where you need to. See pict. below of Sprint Booster's location for install looking at the footwell and the one just below that is the second duct you need to unscrew...

Footwell approximate location

Name:  Approximate location copy.jpg
Views: 2426
Size:  65.1 KB

Duct that requires single phillips head screw removal

Name:  More duct you have to unscrew.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  37.5 KB

Working in the Footwell...

By the way, if you haven't worked in this footwell before, get ready!! It's like working upside down in a submarine. Very tight, but manageable as long as you have good body position. Get a couple flashlights too.

Here is what I did in order to get my body fixed under this area where I can still remain somewhat relaxed...I learned this while changing out my ignition switch a while back.

I took a small stool and a heavy blanket to keep from scratching the paint, and try to align my body at about the angle of the door swing.

This position allows me to have some comfort because you need to work with both hands. Anyway, this seemed like the best way because I was not going to take the seat out. See below picture showing my stool and blanket.

Name:  How i get under the steering column.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  69.1 KB

Once you have the ductwork out of the way, you will see the following...

The area in red is where you pull the factory connector apart and plug in the Sprint Booster.

Name:  Bus location (2).jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  80.2 KB

Another shot with the factory connection uncoupled.

Name:  The plug.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  52.2 KB

Final Shot with Sprint Booster installed. No mods here. Factory direct connections remain intact.

Name:  SB installed.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  41.2 KB

Now you have Sprint Booster installed, put everything back together and get ready for a cool experience!

Road test results....

After I started the car, I let it run for about 10 minutes just to ensure nothing crazy was going to happen. Go figure, I would rather be safe than sorry, but like I said, everything plugs into factory connections with NO modification to factory wiring.

Initially, I put my foot on the pedal and noticed immediate throttle response.

You will need to be careful for the first few minutes until you are used to the new behavior. I personally like it and it feel like after playing with it for an afternoon, the car should have come from the factory like this.

What I like is the incredible responsiveness to throttle input. There is NO lag at all now and the car feels like it gathers up low end torque alot quicker, which is a good thing considering lack of low end torque is always something discussed with these cars, thus why people seek engine swaps, and other mods. I'd love to see somebody install one of these on an upgraded 3.6 like Flat 6 Innovations offers...Would be RIDICULOUS FAST!

Gear changes are all quick, but 1st to second is extremely fast!! Shifting from second third is pretty thrilling too. At all RPM's the car does not hesitate at all. Very precise response now.

What this translates into for driving is an overall better experience hands down. No lag and immediate power make the car really fun to drive...not that it wasn't fun before, but now it's just at another level.

I can now say that this device is no bs and most would be pleased with the performance it generates.

My only draw back would be price at $300, but for what you get out of it, it does deliver and I have spent a whole lot more on performance parts in the past.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting, and very nice write-up
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What does the sprint booster actually do, does it just do a gamma correction-type filter to the gas pedal, simulating you pressing it a bit harder than you are?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

sjfehr,

Don't know about all that, but it sure promotes a healthy throttle response! It's a keeper for me.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love mine in my 996 Tip. Feels like a totally different car and makes it silly-fun to drive. I would REALLY be interested in hearing how they do on a track. For street - it's an awesome experience - as said above: the way the car should have been set up from the factory. I can only imagine this thing in a 6-speed. Enjoy!

mar
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Seems like a very cool mod. Does this translate to any faster acceleration times, or does it pretty much just give you quicker throttle response for better drivability?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes...

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Seems like a very cool mod. Does this translate to any faster acceleration times, or does it pretty much just give you quicker throttle response for better drivability?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
mptoledo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anybody dyno'd it yet? I am wondering if you get any torque gains or just a quicker response form the accelerator.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

I was the first to install in a 986. I have no access to a dyno. If you do have a dyno near you, get it and try it out. This thing really wakes up throttle response and is fun as hell to drive!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it would be fun to have on the car and I'm sure it does what you say jwade. I still don't see myself buying one anytime soon.

The problem for me is that I am equally sure it isn't $300 worth of either measurable improvement, or electronics technology. I have seen far more complex electronics "black boxes" that cost less than half of that.....at substancial profit margins.

It's kind of in the same class as the EVO V-Flow Induction System. There is no way it is worth anywhere close to what is charged for it, but because it mounts on a Porsche .......... This would cost $99 for an S2000.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mptoledo
has anybody don't it yet? I am wondering if you get any torque gains or just a quicker response form the accelerator.
It does not increase HP or TQ, It does not make the car faster, it just increases throttle response making it "feel" faster.
Much like the old "throttle response cam" mod on NA 944's.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

After some driving time now, I can say that I have been impressed with the device. I know it doesn't increase hp, but sure does increase the fun factor!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Capt.Kirk
2nd Gear

Very nice Install Manual. Is such am Manual also availeble for 987 and 997 ?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Your write-up made me order one. My wife hates you now. Thanks, Jwade.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Flying Dutchman
Track Day

I have the newer configurable version. Its got three settings; off - more responsive - crazy... :-).

I like it. It allows standard mode for cruising and 'boosted' response when I am in the mood.

Recommended !

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster Install on a 986