Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
0-100 throttle body opening happens over a narrower throttle pedal range (100% open throttle happens at less than 100% throttle input). Why anyone would want that is beyond me...
well, i'll certainly be able to answer that for myself, shortly.

but a hypothetical answer to that might be that those who are trying to make things happen in much smaller and tighter conditions than one might find, say, on a road course? might easily benefit from that sensitivity and faster throttle opening.

we shall see. no one argues any longer(?!) about what it "does" or "does not" do. anyone with a reasonable degree of reading comprehension skill(s) has figured that out. if they've bothered to read about it, much less try it. i've read of those that LOVE it, as well as those that have TRIED it, and don't feel it particularly suits their style or conditions of driving. particularly those that find themselves at wot often again, on road course. i scream up and down HILLS in CANYONS! think, how this might benefit me, even theoretically, for a moment.

so, i suppose i'm hoping that the reviews from other drivers with it installed and how and when it appears to benefit them and that i may become one of them. either that or i wasted a whopping 140. gee whiz, i wont eat for a day. but..

there is no "one" way for any of "this". on that i'm sure you'd agree!
Old 10-11-2015, 02:11 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
well, i'll certainly be able to answer that for myself, shortly.

but a hypothetical answer to that might be that those who are trying to make things happen in much smaller and tighter conditions than one might find, say, on a road course? might easily benefit from that sensitivity and faster throttle opening.

we shall see. no one argues any longer(?!) about what it "does" or "does not" do. anyone with a reasonable degree of reading comprehension skill(s) has figured that out. if they've bothered to read about it, much less try it. i've read of those that LOVE it, as well as those that have TRIED it, and don't feel it particularly suits their style or conditions of driving. particularly those that find themselves at wot often again, on road course. i scream up and down HILLS in CANYONS! think, how this might benefit me, even theoretically, for a moment.

so, i suppose i'm hoping that the reviews from other drivers with it installed and how and when it appears to benefit them and that i may become one of them. either that or i wasted a whopping 140. gee whiz, i wont eat for a day. but..

there is no "one" way for any of "this". on that i'm sure you'd agree!
The beauty of an NA Mezger and why its so easy to drive at the track is the fact that partial throttle modulation is much easier than on a TT. Having more precise control over part throttle at the track is much more important that having the throttle body slam open as fast as possible. I'm rarely at full throttle on a road course except on the straights, as such I want the throttle to have reduced sensitivity in all the corners to allow of smoother more precise throttle control mid turn... Smooth inputs are good...

Most people will like the amplified throttle because it makes it "feel" like the engine produces more power as it's more on/off as the throttle pedal opens more per given pedal input (increased sensitivity = less precise control). From a practical standpoint, that's the last thing you want in the twisties or at the track..

My old E46 M3 had the sport button on the throttle that did the same thing albeit in a more advanced fashion where the throttle curve was altered without the reduced the throttle pedal range. It was fun as it make the car feel peppier but at the expense of the throttle being much more jerky and harder to control at slower speeds.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Throttle modulation on Turbo engines is much worse than on a normally aspirated motor. The Sprint amplifier gizmo only makes that worse by reducing the throttle pedal resolution further by making it even more sensitive since 0-100 throttle body opening happens over a narrower throttle pedal range (100% open throttle happens at less than 100% throttle input). Why anyone would want that is beyond me...
^This.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:50 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

The beauty of an NA Mezger and why its so easy to drive at the track
understood. i have a degree of familiarity with "sport" modes, increased throttle mapping, and the like.

i can see why this type of "simulated" re-mapping wouldn't necessarily suit the requirements of a primarily driven track car, whereas i've already done my best to explain why for my preferential driving, this could well be seen for the "improvement" it may well be.

but now i'm speaking circuitously much like road courses, themselves. so, we shall see. i'll have to leave it at that.
only to add, whatever 'beauty" MY mezger motor possesses for me, well, it's difficult for me to even entertain the notion, that might be somehow diminished merely via the addition of a throttle map altering gizmo.

possible, though unlikely. though i strongly suspect i'll like it just fine.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of an NA Mezger and why its so easy to drive at the track is the fact that partial throttle modulation is much easier than on a TT. Having more precise control over part throttle at the track is much more important that having the throttle body slam open as fast as possible. I'm rarely at full throttle on a road course except on the straights, as such I want the throttle to have reduced sensitivity in all the corners to allow of smoother more precise throttle control mid turn... Smooth inputs are good...

Most people will like the amplified throttle because it makes it "feel" like the engine produces more power as it's more on/off as the throttle pedal opens more per given pedal input (increased sensitivity = less precise control). From a practical standpoint, that's the last thing you want in the twisties or at the track..

My old E46 M3 had the sport button on the throttle that did the same thing albeit in a more advanced fashion where the throttle curve was altered without the reduced the throttle pedal range. It was fun as it make the car feel peppier but at the expense of the throttle being much more jerky and harder to control at slower speeds.
Exactly. This was the reason for the mildly facetious pic I posted on the first page of this thread with the blocks of wood on the pedals. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to reduce the amount of accelerator pedal travel. Playing with the curve might actually make sense to allow greater throttle modulation in a particular RPM range - but the sprintbooster is not nearly this advanced. In effect, an electronic wood block on the accelerator pedal.

The real wood block actually has numerous advantages over the sprintbooster. Aside from being cheaper, if you taped the block to your foot rather than attaching it to the pedal, you could use it as a heightbooster in vertically challenging situations when outside of the car.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:36 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
Exactly. This was the reason for the mildly facetious pic I posted on the first page of this thread with the blocks of wood on the pedals. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to reduce the amount of accelerator pedal travel. Playing with the curve might actually make sense to allow greater throttle modulation in a particular RPM range - but the sprintbooster is not nearly this advanced. In effect, an electronic wood block on the accelerator pedal.

The real wood block actually has numerous advantages over the sprintbooster. Aside from being cheaper, if you taped the block to your foot rather than attaching it to the pedal, you could use it as a heightbooster in vertically challenging situations when outside of the car.
steven, thats fantastic! maybe i can get rid of this tattered phone book! lol. but there is no "exactly, nor is there any "black vs white and/or cut and dried" end of story "answer" to ANY of this topic, unless of course your name is d**k. which it clearly is not. but..

seriously though.. can ANYone envision, or would use of this ( hypothetically, of course ) make any sense to you guys that disdain its use ( or even that it exists lol, presumably without ever having TRIED IT!? lol ).. so here's my:

(Q) if you, ( or anyone ) were lets say, driving a mid level respectably setup and modded tt around ( i.e.. and by way of example.. ) 15 mph corners with a 9%/12% uphill grade? understand there might in point if fact, actually be some benefit achieved in reaching wot "sooner" without the NEED for pedal mashing? .. so,.. all i am asking of you ( checking my OWN thinking here, against those whose opinions i value ) is,

do you or anyone else here understand and imagine there might be a potential benefit in reaching wot with less pedal movement??! under ANY scenario if not what i have proffered?

asking again: can you imagine, given that scenario, and the limitations of actual room and driving area space, in which reaching 100% open throttle faster/sooner/quicker might benefit me at all? i am NOT tracking the car, those days are behind it. i am driving up uninhabited wildly s shaped corners, up and down with speeds ranging from 15 to *** in a canyon.

does ANYone here, understand my thinking on this?! knowing that i myself have NOT yet tried this gizmo. though with that said, i'll be the FIRST guy to admit it was a "mistake", should that end up being the case.

i suppose what i'm asking, is given the hypothetical i have proposed ( which is my daily driving situation and condition(s) ) does this ( on paper, so to speak ) "possibility" make ANY sense to ANYone other than myself?!

or does throttle input being quickened ( even though we already KNOW this can be achieved thru re-mapping of the ecu to reach the same "result"! ) make ANY sense to ANYone of the doubters under ANY set of conditions, and if so?? what "might" they be?? if not those i have outlined.

i'd genuinely appreciate hearing some agreeance or even more importantly the explanation ( taking into account my EXACT scenario outlined in my "hypothetical!" ) if not just some admitting that the "potential" for improvement exists. again, given what i have outlined as my intended hope, vis a vis my daily drives. any seriously thought out rebuttal or reason WHY this does not have the potential for "benefit", will be appreciated.

i have no vested stake in this working ( or not ) beyond, as i've said, 140 USD. lol.

but given i've shared WHY i believe it "MAY"?! be an "improvement", ( and obviously taking into account how and where i plan to employ its use ) i'd really like to hear WHY it wont help me to achieve said goal. TIA.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm an NA guy and with the TT I find the first part, pulling off the line, a slight challenge compared to the NA car. I don't use a ton of throttle input on the street, especially around town, so I'm happy when I can give light input and get a reaction like I do in the GT3. I find the slight lag (and I understand there is a little turbo lag), to be a nuisance. I was excited to see this option and am looking forward to hearing your impressions. Everyone has an opinion, but until we hear from another TT driver, who has actually tried it, it will remain a hypothetical conversation.

I say carry on with pride Look forward to your reaction to the actual install and operation.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the car to go faster, just press the gas pedal further and faster towards the floor... Unless this thing is commanding more than 100% throttle of the ECU (which is probably not possible anyway), pressing the gas pedal to the floor will provide the fastest engine response possible. I think it is wishful thinking that you will be able to reduce turbo lag with this device. It will be interesting to hear the description of the actual driving experience with this installed.

Dan.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i dont have any ( perceptible ) turbo lag w my stuff and 16/24's.

as would be expected, some of you guys are getting "it" and some not. doesn't matter. i haven't got it installed yet, i am highly embarrassed to say.

i've crawled up there twice, and don't want to dismantle sh*t, that looks simple, and then i fk it up lol.

one man jury adjourned, until install.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 PM
dprantl
Race Car

I understand how it works. I just don't understand what the problem is with pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor when you need to. "Pedal mashing" makes this sound like something bad. Why? This is not like installing a shorter ratio steering rack where you can modulate steering faster with less input because it just takes a long time to make very sharp turns with the stock one. How fast can you press the pedal to the floor? 0.1 seconds?

Dan.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by dprantl
I understand how it works. I just don't understand what the problem is with pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor when you need to. "Pedal mashing" makes this sound like something bad. Why? This is not like installing a shorter ratio steering rack where you can modulate steering faster with less input because it just takes a long time to make very sharp turns with the stock one. How fast can you press the pedal to the floor? 0.1 seconds?

Dan.
if you took one look at the 15mph rounders i navigate at speed, you'd know INSTANTLY what i am trying to say, and explain why this i "believe" will be seen by me as a benefit.

i can keep trying to explain it to you ( and others ) but i cannot make you understand it.

seeing, ... you'd know.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Yeah, I guess I would not believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes. You are saying that you need such quick full throttle input that your foot cannot provide the needed reaction time in order to make it happen due to the pedal travel being too long. That's pretty crazy.

Dan.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't think he is saying that at all. I think this will be a more perceptible thing when feathering the accelerator rather than at full throttle. Let's wait and see
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by dprantl
Yeah, I guess I would not believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes. You are saying that you need such quick full throttle input that your foot cannot provide the needed reaction time in order to make it happen due to the pedal travel being too long. That's pretty crazy.

Dan.
oh my fkn god dan. no I'm NOT saying I'm INcapable of pushing the throttle pedal to the floor! what i'm saying is...

never mind lol
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

From what I have read about 99% of Sprint Booster buyers are very happy with the results so there is definitely something to it.

I am not really interesting in buying one but I was curious so I set up a listing notification on eBay for the model that fits the 996. I have had the notification active for almost two years and no one has list a used one for sale on eBay in that time. That says something.

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!