Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks new K24 HyFlow turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:25 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

What boost level would be associated with the larger turbine? 1.3 to 1.4?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 322 Likes on 222 Posts

Mario, it is the compressor stage that develops the boost level. The engine exhaust and heat drive the inconel turbine wheel similar to a hydro-electric dam. Water being stored behind the damn turns the tubine which is connected to a generator. In our case the turbine is connect by a shaft to another wheel which compresses air.. Typically a larger wheel is sized or needed when one increases displacement or in our case higher engine RPM's coupled with a larger compressor wheel.

This K24 Hyflow wheel can support higher than 700HP..
Old 09-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Dragon911TT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great... very interested... Kevin - PM me a price and what is involved in doing this upgrade. Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Post a new thread with some pics.. I'll email you pricing..
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Mario, it is the compressor stage that develops the boost level. The engine exhaust and heat drive the inconel turbine wheel similar to a hydro-electric dam. Water being stored behind the damn turns the tubine which is connected to a generator. In our case the turbine is connect by a shaft to another wheel which compresses air.. Typically a larger wheel is sized or needed when one increases displacement or in our case higher engine RPM's coupled with a larger compressor wheel.

This K24 Hyflow wheel can support higher than 700HP..
OK, I'm with you so far, so if you install a larger turbine wouldn't that allow the turbo to handle an increased boost? I speculated that if the stock K24 can handle a maximum 1.2 boost efficiently, then a larger turbine could handle more boost, consequently you gain horsepower. Am I wrong?

Last edited by 9Eleven; 09-29-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Kevin,

I and I am sure many others are looking forward to seeing how these packages perform. It will be interesting to see what you have accomplished in real world experiences, once some of these packages hit the road and post results.

Any idea when we may see some 1/4 mile numbers from any of these new kits?
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

The boost levels on these turbos would depend on the compressor size and type that you mate to them I guess, same as other K24 hybrids. Certainly more than 1.2 Bar in good efficiency

I would not expect these turbos to make any difference per se in a quartermile run vs a similarily sized turbo (compressor and turbine side), lag is not really a factor in the Qmile, you are on boost constantly since all your gear changes occur beyond 4.5 k RPMs. Where you might feel it the most is in 3rd gear for instance starting from 2K RPMs and going WOT.

I am just speculating obviously.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Jean,

I have noticed that when doing WOT pulls, after 1st gear the shifts are in fact in the 4,000+ RPM range and lag is not a factor. Personally, if anything, I would rather have a little more "up top" than down low, as 1st gear has so much power, it just spins the tires at will...

Seems like more tuners are gravitating towards what Protomotive has been doing for years i.e. K24 based hybrid turbos for higher HP applications and more tuneable MAF's. Next we may be seeing a movement to separate air filters and intakes for each turbo
Old 09-29-2007, 02:22 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by John D II
Seems like more tuners are gravitating towards what Protomotive has been doing for years i.e. K24 based hybrid turbos for higher HP applications and more tuneable MAF's. Next we may be seeing a movement to separate air filters and intakes for each turbo
John, I would think that this particular tuner is gravitating AWAY from anything Protomotive is doing. UMW keeps all emissions components when it seems removing them is not a problem for Protomotive even though a huge Federal fine is the penalty for such actions. UMW makes their power with unleaded fuels only and it seems Proto depends on leaded fuels that are hard on the engine and totally illegal on the streets for their top builds. UMW has a multiple file philosophy that optimizes particular octane and bosst levels whereas Proto is one file for all fuels and boost levels. UMW makes turbos inhouse for a particular goal whereas Proto farms out the work or buys off the shelf. UMW is full Motronic with no code deleted like Proto which turns off 02 sensors and a few other items. The list goes on and on and the differences between the tuners couldnt be more defined. To each is his own though, we all spend our tuning dollar as we see fit. As for 1/4 mile times and expected performance that is where UMW and Proto couldnt be more different. We will do the times first and the talking second.....
Old 09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean

I would not expect these turbos to make any difference per se in a quartermile run vs a similarily sized turbo (compressor and turbine side), lag is not really a factor in the Qmile, you are on boost constantly since all your gear changes occur beyond 4.5 k RPMs. Where you might feel it the most is in 3rd gear for instance starting from 2K RPMs and going WOT.

I am just speculating obviously.
You are just speculating since you have ZERO first hand experience in the 1/4 mile. Lag does count at the 1/4 track my friend. Mark and Scott are 2 perfect examples. Mark has no power down low and is required to launch in the 6K rpm range to get maximum performance. That launch has cost him dearly in broken components like axles, transmission mounts, headers etc... Scott on the other hand launches at a more leisurely rpm of around 3K I believe and produced a much higher trap speed and to my knowledge has not broken anything in the process yet did this with smaller, quicker spooling turbos... makes you wonder...
Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the repect to my company and the time and effort that I have taken to bring new product to the market. I don't need this thread to be side-tract and hijacked.. Jean you are a Protomotive customer, and you are on this thread mucking it up!! You don't have the finacial investment or the time invested in this product. As you have previously mentioned.. and I quote "I am just speculating obviously"
Old 09-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kevin

I don't see where I am lacking respect to your company, your products or yourself, nor where have I in any of my posts mentioned anything Protomotive, which I could if I wanted to (unless I am mistaken and it is forbidden?). Or maybe being his customer makes me unworthy of commenting on your threads? Don't you think you are pushing this too far?

I have not even spoken negtively about your product I am simply stating what I think, in a very open and debatable manner, don't let your competitive spirit get in the way of the people on this board or opinions.

You don't need this thread to be hijacked, all threads are most often, and my comments were very focused around your product indeed, and what I believe the outcome would be, so no need to take that angle, check out above who is hijacking it and sidetracking it.

You just can't seem to be able to take any comment that is not straight praise, let alone debate technicalities or potential outcomes of what you are doing, whether you believe they are right or not.

I am mentioning that your turbos being advertised here are intended to reduce lag *as you said it*, I don't know those turbos nor what they do obviously, I am taking your words. Well IMO it will not have an impact on quartermile times vs. a same size turbo without this new technology, and I don't need to be a drag racer to know it, I have more race track hours than most around here, and that gives one some perspective, when you shift in 1st you drop to 4K RPMs and then after always above 4500 RPMs, there is no boost onset advantage there.

I highly respect you for your work and passion around it, as if you had not known it for years, but that does not mean I have to agree with anything you post or claim, and if you want me not to comment on your threads even in a civilized manner, then you will need to ask John D. to ban me because I will not refrain from posting my opinion, be it positive or negative as long as it is within the rules of this forum!! #@^%#&^$@&^
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jean, clearly you true colors shine thru.. Your last paragraph shows your true intent. You'll go and do whatever it takes to discredit a forum sponsor and member just to prove your point. Your point being that you don't agree with my product or the claims of my product.. You have to put yourself above all, to make your point clear.. Again even if it is subjective and your opinion. And based on what.. What tests and financial contribution??? To sway public opinion..
Old 09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kevin,

This is maybe how you see it, with your subjective eye.

Discredit a forum sponsor and member? That is total nonsense, you simply want people to accept everything you say without challenging you because you are a sponsor, that is different.

I am very proud to have supported most of the sponsors on this forum for the years that I have been here, and given business to most of them as well, including yourself, and always did it with conviction and pleasure. I have always challenged things that I disagree with as well, sometimes rightly or wrongly. Money, what money? Do I need to contribute financially to speak up?

Of course it is my opinion, and I stand by it.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jean, you have no finacial interest in these turbochargers or my company. However, I do and at great cost to my company and family.

The people and members on Rennlist are very intelligent and are more than capable to make a informed decision concerning my product to have you Police my threads. You hold yourself as a "moderator status"..

I do take offense to your methods and continue posting to drive home your unsubstantiated opinions. You repeat it over and over, taking it to the point of discrediting someones work.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new K24 HyFlow turbocharger