Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks new K24 HyFlow turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry Marty, but if I kick the boost to 1.3 bar I make more power than your PE700. I don't run above 1.1 bar ever, scared of wearing down my measly 3.5L 965

Again, even at 1 bar I think my car would handle yours at 1.3 Bar, do the math, you only have around 70hp on me and what, 600-700lbs

I am done trying to "measure" up against you, have a nice day

Christian
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
rafiki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joetwint
OK Rafiki i'll play,the relevency of this product is :
If you have a car equipped with a k24 you can have Kevin swap out the wheel which according to Kevin results in 3-500 rpm sooner onset of boost.Quicker boost onset means you reach peak torque earlier in the rpm range .Peak torque earlier is a good thing which results in more power across a broader rpm range(power under the curve).So when you are driving on the highway in 6th gear at 2500rpm and you want to pass you have to wait less time for the turbos to spool (make boost) and the power comes on sooner without having to downshift .Another benefit would be launching the car at a lower rpm(drag racing)resulting in less driveline component abuse.An easy upgrade to improve A K24 turbo without having to change turbos on a GT2 , X50 or someone who has already stepped up to a k24 on a 996tt.
Joe

Having owned 5 turbo cars(but first 996tt) with various stages of tuning I do have a reasonably good understanding of the ramifications of lag and the benefits of torque down low in the rev range.

I was more curious as to where this new wheel fits into the UMW range..I understand the benefit to a K24 owner needing a rebuild..but would this new wheel be useful for a K16 owner considering a rebuild or an upgrade?

If so, how does it compare to UMW's other products...e.g. why would I choose that option instead of stage 1 or 2 hybrid turbos?

Not sure if you can answer this or not, but that was the purpose of my original question.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

Wow, Kevin introduces a new product & look what happens, what a shame! If you guy's dont like the product then so be it, but to come on here & bash a product or threat jacking in that manner is really pathetic. I preffer Kevins stuff!!! I like the philosophy behind it & the details he puts into his work. I personally do not post on any Proto threads just to avoid these situations. As far as there aren't any cars running yet "your right", but very soon my friends soooon, becarefull what you wish for "Marty"

With that said, I really think the members here are smart enough to decide what works, what doesn't & what they prefer..I don't think we need forum police for Kevins prducts, they speak Volumes!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Christian,
theoretical doesnt work.

60-130 mph please??
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Physics do not lie

Christian

Originally Posted by Woodster
Christian,
theoretical doesnt work.

60-130 mph please??
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

I thought you ran an 11.8?

Christian

Originally Posted by Woodster
Car physics are being disproven all the time.

This is why a 60-130 mph was established to give a reasonable way of comparing
cars. In this case it would be whatever boost you are comfortable with compared to
whatever boost I am comfortable with. I am saying you are not going to be in mid 6's.
If you are then I stand corrected. Until then your car has not proven to be faster.
I gave you (4) differnt examples.
Can you run an 11 flat or better quarter mile?
Road America laps?
etc.
No more theory and physics please it becomes boring and useless.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
maxwell
Racer

maybe you guys should just PM this crap back and forth, so the rest of us dont have to peruse through it to try to find more information about these turbos.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

WOW........we need to send an elite commando team in here to re-take this thread back from these hi-jackers....C'mon folks this is not the thread to post all of these issues.

Kevin...good luck on your new product and hope all goes well. Please keep helping the rest of us who are the real car enthusiasts who just wants to have fun with our cars. Most of us do not need to have the best or fastest car out there. Your continued help and knowledge in this forum is what made many of us join in the first place.

Manny
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Congrats, Kevin. I wish you success with your new turbos.

Scott
Divexxtreme
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

^Agreed, sorry for this mess guys

Christian
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rafiki
Joe

Having owned 5 turbo cars(but first 996tt) with various stages of tuning I do have a reasonably good understanding of the ramifications of lag and the benefits of torque down low in the rev range.

I was more curious as to where this new wheel fits into the UMW range..I understand the benefit to a K24 owner needing a rebuild..but would this new wheel be useful for a K16 owner considering a rebuild or an upgrade?

If so, how does it compare to UMW's other products...e.g. why would I choose that option instead of stage 1 or 2 hybrid turbos?

Not sure if you can answer this or not, but that was the purpose of my original question.
This is what I would like to know?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I understand the thread is very difficult to follow with all the clutter...so here is the summary:
However as a result/spin-off I have produced a new turbine wheel for the standard K24.. Why?? Well the factory turbine wheel has a few faults.. I don't want to get into the minor details, but spool up or the ability to to get the compressor wheel to generate boost has always been a issue.
The pictures shown are my new "stock" K24 replacement turbine wheel which I call the K24 HyFlow.. As I have said I also manufactured a larger turbine wheel for my new Stage 4 package.. Basically I have manufactured two new turbine wheels.
This thread was a spin off to the "fact" that with the development of my new Stage 4 package I have manufacture a new turbocharger for this kit.. Yes, this mean, engineering it, cad drawing, mold, tooling, foundry pours and then CNC machining.. This new turbocharger is NOT a K24 I previous wrote that it is a K26 frame size..
However, as a spin off in manufacturing I have made a new replacement turbine wheel called the K24 HyFlow. The sole design is to replace the factory K24 turbine wheel with mine.. A improved design and product. One other benefit that I haven't mentioned, is that I can take a stock K16 and completely rebuild it as a K24.. One could call this a K24 HyFlow.. I have manufactured the missing components that are different between the two turbochargers.
If someone has a GT2 or X50, they could have the K24 HyFlow turbine wheel installed. Another option would be if someone wanted to move from stock K16 to straight K24's and run programming similar to flashed X50 programming.
You will also find that the Turbine housing are different. The one in the stock K16 has a A/R volume ratio of 8 cm sq and the K24 has the volume increased to 10 cm sq.. The frame size designation is given from the size of turbine wheel. The turbine wheel that is used in the K16 is smaller than the K24.. A smaller turbine wheel will spool up quicker. All of my K16 hybrid turbocharger have the A/R changed matching the K24 factory 10 cm sq housing.
My Stage 2 Z/C kit has a larger compressor wheel.. It is larger than the K24/2006 and K24/2007. The confusion that you might have is in your frame sizing a GT2 or X50 would be called a K24/24 My New Stage 4 would be called a K26/27.. First number is the turbine wheel/2nd is the compressor wheel.
The bottom line is, some folks just want K24's.. They want to move out of the K16 frame/platform. The K24 X50 turbocharger will develop more power over the stock K16.. The boost limit of a stock K16 is around 1 bar.. The maximum output of a K24/2007 is 1.2bars When you start to make hybrids out of either turbocharger the limit becomes fueling and rods.
I think it is pretty easy to follow... Good luck with the new set-ups, Kevin.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

How about a matrix of --> "turbo available" for each stage, versus it's relative pro/con.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Kevin

The people you are labelling now because they have another tuner's signature under their names, most of them are or were your customers as well. If they chose to go elsewhere, it does not make them snakes now.

We have had quite a few important business dealings ourselves as well, and they always were very smooth and courteous. Being labeled now because I challenged your statements in the beginning of this thread is a shame on your part.

As a reminder, I never disputed that your turbos would not reduce lag. I simply disagreed with you 1) whether a dyno test is the right way to test them, I said real life data would be better, and 2) I doubt that somewhat less lagging turbos will make one go faster on the track as you had mentioned. Maybe if you do read again, you will see how out of proportion you have blown this and reflect on it.

As to the rest of your posts, seeing how far you can go has been very enlightening, I will not answer personal attacks however.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Dock, this new turbine wheel is NOT incorporated in any of my Stages... My Stage 1 kit is K16/24.. One could substitute K24's with that kit if they want..

Again this wheel is designed to replace someones existing K24 turbine wheel.. Like I said earlier if someone wants to retro fit there K16 into K24's it can be done..

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new K24 HyFlow turbocharger