Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jealousy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 PM
RoadKill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think that people look at and treat you differently because you have a Porsche Turbo - its considerably worse when they find out you have two of them. Even if one of them is 14 years old ! My standard response to inquiries is to tell them that I plan on spending all of my money while I'm alive. Using my last dime to call for a hearse!

By the way, wross996tt's list of five items seems to describe a BMW driver!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:44 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by glpdx
I could go further and say this is one reason why I think I'll withdraw my deposit on a 997TT Cabriolet when it's available. I actually WELCOME the aging of my Porsche. In some ways, I wish I would have bought a 993 Cabriolet, like one of my best friends did. I think an older, more nastalgic Porsche may be accepted better. I also agree that much of this has to do with being 35 years old.
The type of people who would be jealous of your P-car can not tell whether it is 2 days or 20 years old. They just see you drive a "Porsche".

So you might as well get the 997TT cab if that is what you want.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I just thought about. The demographic I usually sense this "attitude" from are people my age and typically not as sucsessful. The more I think about it, the response I get from older guys is "Yea, if I could do it over, I would do what you are doing." They typically admire my decision to take the plunge earlier in life, rather than waiting.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I find I get alot of respect on the road, just like with my Corvettes. Yes, sometimes I drive aggressively compared to 150 hp econoboxes but that's one of the ways I enjoy driving at times, but don't tailgate and use signals to pass......of course at 110 mph I'm not sure people can pick out a light from the silver streak zooming by them

At the office (I'm an Engineer), people are curious because nobody drives a rig like that. I work more hours than anyone, take side jobs, and pinch pennies like hell. I like cars.......better that than strippers
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got to agree with Dock. No point worrying about it or even thinking about it, because there is always some a-hole who thinks you are the a-hole.
Plus, the knife cuts both ways. Show up in the Porsche and they think you are successful too early, but show up in a Toyota and they start gossiping that you must be going broke.
In the early 80's, I was driving a beautiful SC Targa, but badly turned my ankle and had my right leg casted. I just bought an Oldsmobile sedan, so I could operate both pedals with my left foot. It didn't take long for a physician colleague to whisper to another that things must be pretty tough for me financially. In my opinion, it hurts your business worse if people think you're failing versus are jealous of your success or resentful of a display of affluence. Since there is no winning, you may as well do what you want. AS
Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

.. I have owned 20 other cars not listed.. many 'rude and expensive'...and there is another side here(many actually)... there are unfortunately a lot of smug Sh*theads who own Porsches and they themselves actually feel inadequete.. for numerous reasons...and want to make others envious and demeaned.. so unfortunately some get labed that shouldn't ..

There is also a large contingent who could easily own (a close friend of mine is worth in excess of 20MM and drives an old Saab) and who choose not to own an expensive car, AND who think it is socially unconscienable to drive a car that is not merely a form of transportion..

So, JMHO, I personally find some of your post offensive, specifically that your first parry would be that they "Maybe I'm not sensitive to others envy or inadequacies about where they are in life. By flashing my new Turbo Porsche around may only be making them fell worse about themselves."

OMG get over yourself...maybe with age you'll mature..

.... maybe you project all sorts of vibes they don't like... did you ponder that? .. and I dont mean to be nasty... but look inside before you peer outside... I had a brand new cab when I was 30(I ran a division of a large company).... and in hindsight I'm sure I was responsiblke for much (though absolutely not all) of the nasty things I perceived from other folks...

Just try to be humble about it.. it's so easy to talk about the car because youre in love with it.. but others take it as a 'look at me'.. when it's not...

e
Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Obviously, I did "ponder that", as you are quoting my own words. e, you are completely contradicting yourself. Which is the immature one that needs to get over himself? The one that makes personal attacks and accusations, or the one that looks for ways he can better himself? There is WAY too much anger and negative emotions in these forums to have a mature conversaton. You all can bitch and moan to each other all you want. I will not be a part of it anmore. glpdx, signing out.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
JohnnyBeatles
Advanced

I have owned and do own lots of nice cars and motorcycles. I love them all. Most of the people who know me understand that cars and bikes are a big part of my life and I do enjoy talking about it. Of course you have to understand that some people don't really care or worse are jealous...I guess thats life. I didnt steal anything I have so its up to them if they would rather hoard there money in the bank or enjoy life a bit more. However, humility is important and also understanding that because I may have more doesnt mean I am better. I am very lucky and know I could have walked a different path. I collect guitars, movie posters and the like and its alot of fun. But none of this would be as much fun if you can't share it. Its 1 reason why I enjoy the forum, just guys(and gals) talking about what they love. I aggree with Fred....be nice, if you get a compliment say thanks and return same....Anyway...just my thoughts
JB
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shut up, sit down...and drive!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBeatles
I didnt steal anything I have so its up to them if they would rather hoard there money in the bank or enjoy life a bit more.
You hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
robertp
Racer

Let me illustrate some of the people in my area. I live in O.C. On the road you have to watch out for the haves and the have not’s.

The haves own a car just as nice as or nicer than yours and they will run into your car if you get in there way. They always want to be in front of you and once they do, they slow down.

The have not’s do not have anything and look at you as wealth and prosperity. They hope that you mite hit them so they can take you’re a#s to court. The always want to get in front of you and once they do they slam on the brakes.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I know exactly what the original poster here is talking about. I owned my first 911 when I was 19. I looked like I was 15 driving a 911 that was very modded for its time (a 74 911 with a 2.8 MFI). The women back then didnt care about it and I was all into it. I did come across one who loved it only to find out what a gold digger she was later after I sold it. The rest of them were into my Pontiac Trans Am or my Datsun 280Z!

But what I learned after my 2nd one (a 911SC) was that when you didnt put it ahead of your mate and left it out of the conversations until asked, then it was fair game. In fact it was all good! I also found that when you act yourself and smiled at people, they loved the car. That was 11 or 12 Porsches ago now and I constantly get thumbs up and smiles whenever I drive my 930 or 996TT. In fact, when I run into people after driving they almost always say something nice about either one.

Last edited by Chet 930; 04-28-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
johnyg
Instructor

I will agree that sometimes it seems strange to be in a smaller town drivng a car that new costs over a 100k. However if you are respectful of others and enjoy sharing and discussing at the gas pump etc. you will find that many just want to see the car up close. Some may be jealous but if they do not percieve arrogance from you but passion about automotive excellence, you will find them to be very interested in exactly what the car is and what it will do. Enjoy
Old 04-30-2006, 12:42 PM
ajax1964
Advanced

This is my first post here, so Hi to all...It's funny I didn't even think about all this, I got my TT 996 used yesterday from a friends dealership here in Beverly Hills. He sells Rolls, Lambo, Bentley, Aston Martin, and Bugatti....I felt like the poor kid on the block buying the Used P-car when everyone else there was looking at $200,000 and well beyond. Around here you see porsches all day long. In any other city I imagine this car would draw alot of attention, but here it really doesn't....when I was debating switcing from my S4 my clients and friends all encouraged me....this place trully is the land of excess
Old 04-30-2006, 06:13 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Most of the ones that put off the impression of envy call it a "midlife crisis" I prefer to call it "hard work and earned"

Most of us would have killed for these cars in our teens and early 20's, now that they are an option for us, let others look, most of us have been in the others position but not been ***'s about not having what others have.

Quick Reply: Jealousy