Sponsored by:

Jealousy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:50 AM
S Peoples
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jealousy

I own a 2012 Panamera bought new and i recently built a 2019 Cayenne. I feel my co workers and family members are envious and I dont know why. One even questioned why I didn't trade in the Panamera which I thought was a odd question considering they see I kept it, instead of saying oh I see you kept the Panamera as if they thought I couldn't afford to keep both, but I can and I did. I have no debt home and car paid off before this purchase and this was my choice. Its weird my coworkers question how i afford it when we all make good money. I just think its how you choose to spend it. I feel I earned my money to do what I please.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, this topic is old! Interesting one. With age comes maturity. I would be curious how the OP feels about the topic now. Most likely much less self conscious about how others perceive him if he even still owns the Porsche.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't really care what people think of me, and I drive cars that I really enjoy driving. I've owned a number of BMWs, Audis, a pile of new Wrangler Unlimiteds, but in no car have I received hate like I do in the 911.
People will pull up beside me, glance over and give me the finger for no reason, etc.

Lots of middle fingers, but this was a first (happened a few days ago)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Wow!
Old 08-28-2019, 01:05 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Is that for real? Unbelievable. Lots of cars around here are way nicer (more expensive) than my 15 YO Turbo. In my experience, no one even gives me a second look when I drive mine. Getting the finger on a regular basis? Do you have a bumper sticker that says "Out of the Way, Peasants!" or something to that effect?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Good point.

Just last week I was driving in the mountains (two lane roads) and got stuck behind a new pick-up truck...Ford...300 hp. This guy was driving pretty slow in the curves, and we had many straights where passing was not allowed...he drove the same slow speed on the straights as he had in the corners. We finally came up on a short passing zone and I started my pass. As soon as I pulled out in the opposite lane I hear him floor it. So I just squeeze WOT and blow by him. As I pass he's yelling at me and flipping me the finger - he obviously didn't want me to pass him...he tried his best to prevent me from it...and was pissed because he couldn't stop me.
This happens to me occasionally as well. Some people seem to get really weird when they're driving next to a Porsche. A few weeks ago I had a guy in beat-up old pickup start weaving behind me, tailgating, flying by in the right lane, acting very very irrational. I tend to just try to stay away, not make eye contact, and get moving away from idiots as soon as possible. There's simply no upside for me in any type of on-road confrontation with knuckleheads.

Regarding those that know me, nobody in my trusted circle is anything but happy for me regarding the 911 Turbo. Given my automotive resume, I didn't all of the sudden buy a fast car, it's been a 30 year work in progress...
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
Is that for real? Unbelievable. Lots of cars around here are way nicer (more expensive) than my 15 YO Turbo. In my experience, no one even gives me a second look when I drive mine. Getting the finger on a regular basis? Do you have a bumper sticker that says "Out of the Way, Peasants!" or something to that effect?
Sadly, very real. My car is an '06. Anyone that can afford a new Camry can buy one. Hell, it's way cheaper than any new loaded F150 or comparable pickup truck.

If I had a bumper sticker that said something offensive, I would fully expect and deserve the hate. All I have on the rear is a Beșiktaș bumper sticker, and I can't imagine there are enough Galatasaray fans in my neighbourhood to notice or care, (both are Division 1 soccer teams in Istanbul, for those that aren't soccer hooligans- er, fans).
Old 08-28-2019, 02:49 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Man, that is disheartening. Turning 65 this year, fast cars all my driving life......I have come to drive in a certain way:

1. Avoid driving alongside anyone, be ahead or behind, no diff to me.
2. Pretty much stay with traffic flow, don't be the moron zigging in and out to shave maybe a few seconds off the drive time
3. No eye contact, why invite anything?
4. Try not to smile too big when the top is down

BTW, I pay for the Porsche privilege by driving a POS 1996 Camry with 261,000 miles on the clock. Never have to worry about it as it sits outside everyday while I'm at work. Lowers the stress level.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:09 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I strive to be that 70 year old guy (little ways to go) that I saw in laguna beach driving his 76 navy blue turbo to the library. He was awesome. He just swings in, parks his car, gets some books, returns some books, gets in his car, and drives off. nothing of it.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

I will not be traveling to Port Credit.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:27 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

I feed off of the jealousy of the proletariat when they see me cruising around town in my 18 year old sports coupe. I chuckle amusingly to myself when I see their feet adorned with lowly Nikes and Adidas, as I step out of my 100k-mile car with my bespoke whale foreskin leather wingtips and check the time on my Vacheron Constantin (white gold of course; stainless is for the poors).

So what if I'm parked in a Handicap spot? The piece of paper the parking officer (blue collar job, ha!) left under the wiper doesn't mean I'm in the wrong, it just means it costs $120 to park there. Later on, I'll drive home as if I own the road, slowing down slightly as I pass each person in their simpleton cars--with lame modern amenities like fuel efficiency and a smooth ride--to allow them to look me over and be impressed by my greatness as I cruise along in my super car powered by 20+ year old technology.

Are they jealous of me and my seemingly endless supply of money and prestige? Perhaps. Am I bothered by it? No.
The following 3 users liked this post by Capt. Obvious:
adamo (08-29-2019), kentburlingame (09-02-2019), kmagnuss (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow lol, he didnt even look. Ive never seen someone do that when the owner can see them. Where do you live that this stuff happens.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,034 Likes on 3,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Good point.

Just last week I was driving in the mountains (two lane roads) and got stuck behind a new pick-up truck...Ford...300 hp. This guy was driving pretty slow in the curves, and we had many straights where passing was not allowed...he drove the same slow speed on the straights as he had in the corners. We finally came up on a short passing zone and I started my pass. As soon as I pulled out in the opposite lane I hear him floor it. So I just squeeze WOT and blow by him. As I pass he's yelling at me and flipping me the finger - he obviously didn't want me to pass him...he tried his best to prevent me from it...and was pissed because he couldn't stop me.
I hate people like that; they're everywhere here.

I have the good fortune to have a number of cars from Europe, North America and Japan. My friends and colleagues associate car culture with me, and they respect the fact that I look at my autos as extensions of myself, my 'kids' as it were.

There has never been a time where I was 'worried' or 'concerned' with how others look at me, or fear that I would be over charged for rudimentary work. I know full well I am type-a, assertive, aggressive - but at the same time I am in touch with my soft and fuzzy side and can empathize with folks... for the most part.

As long as you treat peeps with respect, look them in the eye when you speak with them, typically the respect will be mutual. Jealousy/resentment should be easy to identify and if there is no respect from those sources, simply distance yourself from them.

As someone said earlier in the post, life is too short to get wrapped up in others BS; Carpe diem
Old 08-28-2019, 10:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,034 Likes on 3,067 Posts

Originally Posted by adamo
I don't really care what people think of me, and I drive cars that I really enjoy driving. I've owned a number of BMWs, Audis, a pile of new Wrangler Unlimiteds, but in no car have I received hate like I do in the 911.
People will pull up beside me, glance over and give me the finger for no reason, etc.

Lots of middle fingers, but this was a first (happened a few days ago)
https://youtu.be/K9QVNyDfoso
Further to my post above, I would have gotten out of the car and offered an 'education' to that MF; that is nothing than an ignorant, small minded *****.

Sorry you had to go through that.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Further to my post above, I would have gotten out of the car and offered an 'education' to that MF...
Do you think the guy who tossed the liquid on the car might have wanted to get an "education", thinking that a civil suit against the "deep pockets" high-end car owner might prove lucrative? Something like "Officer, I lost control of my cup of coffee accidentally spilling it on the nice car, and the next thing I know I've been clobbered and I'm lying on the sidewalk."

Quick Reply: Jealousy