Sponsored by:

Jealousy

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 AM
glpdx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jealousy

I wanted to start a new thread a little off the standard topics. This may not be the proper area, but it's my favorite section, so tough. And, if it needs to be moved, so be it, go for it.

I think it's going to depend on how tactfully I present it as to how well it's received or responded to. I don't know if it is jealousy or something else, but I've definitely noticed a big change in the way people see me, what they expect from me, and more specifically, how they respond to my comments about my own car. First, I get really bothered when I get the impression people think I'm made of money since I own a Porsche Turbo. I'm not, this was big sacrifice financially. It simply shows where my passions lie. 2nd, it'd difficult to have a two way conversation with people about my Porsche. I admit, I get excited about it, what it can do and what I want to do with it. Last, it actually hasn't helped with my "social calendar" as a single guy. In fact it may have hurt a little.

Now admittingly, this may all be my fault. Maybe I'm not sensitive to others envy or inadequacies about where they are in life. By flashing my new Turbo Porsche around may only be making them fell worse about themselves. In fact, I think that may be one reason us Porsche owners have so much fun talking to each other and bonding so quickly. Heck, I LOVE to talk about my friend's Porsche's more than mine. They are all amazing cars. When I get to talk about their cars, it's almost like I can pretend I own it (in a way) and enjoy that feeling. This doesn't work with non-Porsche owners. Even my friends with street bikes will divert the conversation to their own bike experiences, then soon divert the conversation to an completely different topic.

I've learned, with women, you're better off not even talking about it at all or it's a guarantee they'll get turned off and you're toast. Heck, many of them, my ex-girlfriend in particular, said she preferred my 2004 Audi S4 over my Porshce.

So for discussusion, I'm not looking for advice, because I've learned the hardway what is kosher and what isn't. I would more like to hear others experience with this, how they feel about it and what you think causes it. If this is an old topic. Sorry, I did a search and only saw one hit and it wasn't related. What ya think?

Last edited by glpdx; 04-27-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting post

I am sure your sentiments ring true with many on here.

My own experience due to a few factors is that I have to be careful who I 'show' the car to, in reality I don't give a monkey's what people think of me because of it, but having this rigid attitude can be more trouble than its worth.

I think alot of people's perception of Porsche owners is down the stereotype of the guy / girl who buys a 911 or any Porsche only for the show value. I am sure all of us bought our cars somewhat for this, lets be honest. But this stereotype does not cater for the 'anorak' or enthusiast element you mention, I feel this is what creates the divide of Joe Public (and I dare say friends) saying 'Look at that flashy f&cker' and us wanting to almost 'share' the car with them due to enthusiasm, if you get me?

I think people get use to the idea of you having a Porsche after a while. I find that I have to be very modest and tactful when talking to people about it, which seems to somewhat dispel the myth we are all dicks!

It’s a difficult one; you can please some of the people some of the time, but …..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool Taking things instride.......

I have no idea of your age, but I suspect that you are younger than me at 54. I've been driving Porsches of one variety or another since 1975. My friends and colleagues know that cars are my passion and I like Porsches. I'm an active member in the local chapter of the Porsche Club of America. If you're not a member, become one. You'll meet lots of great people who share the same passion as yourself. You won't find many of the stereotypical Porsche owners in the bunch. You'll also have social and competitive events in which to enjoy your car.

Some "rules of the road" that I've observed or developed over the years regarding driving a Porsche (or any other high end car).

1. Don't be a jerk, and you'll be less likely to be seen as a jerk.
2. Drive politely. Don't perpetuate the stereotype of Porsche owners many folks have.
3. When people compliment you on car, thank them. Be polite and humble. Compliment others on their rides. It shows that you open and friendly.
4. Park squarely in parking spaces. Don't try to take up 2 spots to protect "your baby". It puts people off and invites trouble. If you're worried about a door ding, go out and ding it yourself and get it over with. A dent wizard can fix most of these little "potholes in life" for very little cost.
5. Don't expect others to think MORE of you because you drive a nice car. They may not value cars at all. I have 2 cars, and my GF just sees the Porsche as "the red car".

While achieving ownership of a Porsche is a very big thing for folks at the beginning, over 30 years you'll take it in stride. Life is not about the destination. it's about the journey. Your Porsche isn't the destination either. It's only your current ride on the journey.

Cheers and best of luck on your journey with your Porsche,
The following 3 users liked this post by Fred R. C4S:
03EvoIII (08-30-2019), Al Allen (11-07-2021), StewieZ89 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great advice Fred..

as for me, I never bring up my car in conversations unless asked.. it does not show in any part of my personality to own such a thing. They see me as a regular guy, into sports, computers, music..etc. The point is, let the Porsche be just one aspect of you. The car does not define a person.. it is merely one of your toys or hobbies or.. passions.
The following 2 users liked this post by KJM3SMG:
03EvoIII (08-30-2019), Dingo (09-07-2019)
Old 04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

My experience is that there are people who will envy your car - when you ask them why - it usually boils down to the fact that you had the stones to make the choices you did (ie took risks) to get you where you are and they do not. I have also found that those who really know you do not judge you for what you have or what you drive but admire you for your passion for your car...my simple 2 cents.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Great posts. In my short time owning a Porsche, I have yet to volunteer my P-car purchase to anyone. I'm even somewhat concerned about showing my car to clients and employers. Would they think they are paying me too much? Flaunting me ill-gotten gains?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Great Advice (Fred),
I am on my 7th Porsche 911 series car.
People that know me know I am a bonafide Porsche wacko.
For me it is also a sacrifice (I live on a lake and I choose to own a Porsche
rather than a new tournament inboard ski boat, etc., I cannot do both).
I love every minute that someone calls to talk about Porsches with me
and we have a great time on our Sat/Sun drives. The people I have met thru the
Local Porsche club have been nothing but helpful and courteous, and yes there
are a couple gazillionaires but even these guys just happen to love cars also.
I do feel funny if someone treats me differently becuase I have a nice car
(or house). I am 45 years old, Self-Employed and I have (and continue to)
work my A** off!! I also have loved cars since the age of 3 !!!!!!!

Enjoy your Porsche often, life is short,
Marty K.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

why worry about it. life is too short. enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-07-2021)
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
red993tt
Racer

I am on my 5th 911 and I must admit the best part of owning a Porsche is meeting other Porsche owners. I don't bother talking about my Pcar to other people anymore because all they ever want to know is how much it cost and judge the car base on that. Or worse when they tell you they like Ferrari and Lambos better...ect.

Enjoy the car and try not to pay attention to anything else.

Last edited by red993tt; 04-26-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 PM
glpdx
Advanced

I could go further and say this is one reason why I think I'll withdraw my deposit on a 997TT Cabriolet when it's available. I actually WELCOME the aging of my Porsche. In some ways, I wish I would have bought a 993 Cabriolet, like one of my best friends did. I think an older, more nastalgic Porsche may be accepted better. I also agree that much of this has to do with being 35 years old.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Think Fred got it right. Which is why I:
1. Act as if I'm the only one on the road,
2. Cut people off and run them off the road frequently,
3. Don't acknowledge when anyone says anything about my car and I diss everyone elses,
4. Take up three spaces when I can, and
5. Expect people to open my door when I arrive.

Just kidding.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
why worry about it. life is too short. enjoy the ride.
I don't... I drive naked and live free
Al Allen (11-07-2021)
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
RobynC
Pro

Fred you couldn't of hit the mark better with your message.

I love talking about cars, and it's interesting to be a woman with a car like this as I find myself regularly talking to strangers as I think I am a bit more approachable. I feel I need to represent. We, as Pcar drivers have pretty bad reputations....and I'm always nice, friendly and helpful. Every once in a while I'll get the occasional jerk....(Car load of guys in an SUV, the passenger leans out the window and asks if I'd like to race...I say no, then he asks, hey wanna race for pinks....I say no. Now, at times, it is just SO hard to be nice...so my response "You're probably used to hearing the word no, aren't you"....and I zoom off. )
Al Allen (11-07-2021)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Long time lurker, 1st post here.

I had that issue when I was in school. My father owned a shop that did nothing but work on the high end cars and he was able to either drive the customers cars home to test them, or we owned them.

When I was in 4th grade we moved to a new and booming area that the school district was a small farming community. The fact that my mother drove a Jaguar and my father dropped me off in various cars (914's, 911's, 928's, 308's, XKE's or the occational Aston) made the kids there think I was some rich kid. It was total envy on the thier end. In all honesty I thought it was cool, it helped me make some friends but also made some days pure hell.

High school was good tho, I was the only kid in town that was driving a 924 turbo, Audi coupe, or XJ6 to school and that really helped with dates.

Now, at 35, I have my 1st P car on the way, in 8 days and I'm think it will be interesting to see what the reaction from my co-workers will be. They were envious that I spent my weekends on a boat but all wanted to come. The boat is sold and now I get my car.

And I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I have only one approach when I drive my Turbo..."Everybody get OUT of my way!!"

(Just kidding of course - the thought only *occasionally* crosses my mind...)

Quick Reply: Jealousy