Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jealousy

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it was inevitable my attempt to avoid ediquite advice would fail. I assumed most participants on this forum have developed mature social skills as that usually goes hand in hand with success. I'll try to rephrase my curiosity. I can't really put my finger on it, but once people know what car I drive, I sense they put me in category that I wouldn't be in otherwise. It's like I want to tell people "I'm just the same ol' guy I used to be !" I've noticed I have to be much more wary of being overcharged for services. Not simply that they think I can afford it, but that I wouldn't notice. Yet, on the other side, people automatically tend to respect me more, almost to the point that they seem intimidated. I'm probably exagerating a bit as a way to illustrate my point, but there definately is something noticiable about it all. Now, again, age probably has a bit to do with it. However, I don't think it's simply the money thing. A Mercedes or BMW would get a different reaction, in my opinion, though cost about the same. I think something has to do with having the guts to spend money on something so impracticle. And, maybe that's why women see it more as a negative, because it shows a characteristic that they try to avoid, which is irresponsibility. On the other hand, men look at themselves and feel disappointed that they didn't take the same leap. Again, exagerating a bit to make a point. Anyway, I'm having trouble describing it, that's why I wanted to see what everyone else thought.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-07-2021)
Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glpdx, I think it's easy to get caught up in what others think. And though sometimes people will envy, resent, or even hate you for driving any expensive car, why worry about it? Most of us who drive p-cars are open, intelligent, and non-judgemental. If people are going to be haters, that's their problem, not yours.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
glpdx
Advanced

I'm not caught up, obsessed or worred what others think. Nevertheless, I think it's natural for me to think about it and consider it when I make my decisions. In my opinion, anyone who says they aren't worried what other people think are fooling themselves. There are others on this thread that also avoid driving their porsche to work or to certain places because of exactly what I'm talking about. There is nothing wrong with being curious about the psychological underpinnings of people's unusual emotions towards porsche owners.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this reaction of other people is very common. When I bought my first and only P-car, a 930, in 1989 I noticed that some people seemed to resent me. As a physician dependant on referrals from my colleagues, I was shocked that some of them actually stopped sending me referrals. I discussed this with my wife, being more dissapointed that they would behave this way, more than the fact that my business declined a little. I was not flashy about my car (far from it) nor did I talk to anyone except other P-car owners about it (and the few who asked me about the experience). Eventually, I remained true to my original thinking - this car was for ME, not anyone else. I wanted one since high school and I figured the rest of these folks can just go %#@* themselves. As it turned out, 17 years later, my practice is thriving, my new 997tt is on order, and life is good. People who know me see me for whom I am, not the car I drive.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-07-2021)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by glpdx
I'm not caught up, obsessed or worred what others think.
Maybe you are.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:42 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Discussions are simply a source of enjoyment for people like me. Asking questions doesn't have to be a sign of weakness.

In response to Ken89911T, I wonder if it's more a factor of resentment or a misinterpretation of irresponsiblity. Most likely, both, but I wonder which factor is dominant.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Discussions are simply a source of enjoyment for people like me.
Oh, I like discussing things too.

I'd suggest you not worry about what others *may* be thinking about you, or your car, or your finances. It's really a huge waste of time. It's not your job to worry about what others might think concerning something as simple as what kind of car you own.

Just be yourself, and treat others with respect. You can't be responsible for everybody's thoughts and/or opinions.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 AM
glpdx
Advanced

Suggestion noted. Still curious.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still curious.
Find some of these people with the "unusual emotions" (that you think they have) and ask them to explain them to you.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's very difficult to not drive in a fasion that is precieved as being a dick. When driving, those small spaces seem like massive caverns when in the turbo. It's so easy an effortless to safely navigate the roads in a manner that is impossible in a mortal vehicle. I feel as those I sometimes am precieved as a dick by people in thier traditional vehicles, but in reality, the Porsche seems to just want to do a little more, in a very safe and controlled fassion, that is simply not understood by those who haven't drivem 1. I guess the reality of it is that a person should navigate the roads as though you were driving a car with common abilities if being percieved as a dick is troubling.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zippy
It's very difficult to not drive in a fasion that is precieved as being a dick.
Good point.

Just last week I was driving in the mountains (two lane roads) and got stuck behind a new pick-up truck...Ford...300 hp. This guy was driving pretty slow in the curves, and we had many straights where passing was not allowed...he drove the same slow speed on the straights as he had in the corners. We finally came up on a short passing zone and I started my pass. As soon as I pulled out in the opposite lane I hear him floor it. So I just squeeze WOT and blow by him. As I pass he's yelling at me and flipping me the finger - he obviously didn't want me to pass him...he tried his best to prevent me from it...and was pissed because he couldn't stop me.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dock - who's the Dick now! I bet he didn't even have mud flaps. It's imperrative to pass those guys.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zippy
Dock - who's the Dick now! I bet he didn't even have mud flaps. It's imperrative to pass those guys.
No mud flaps, so I had to hang way back...up to the pass.

P.S. In keeping with this thread's topic, I'm not concerned at all with what this guy thinks about me or my car. I look at it this way...he got to hear up close and personal the sound of a Euopipe 2 loud pulling through 5000 rpm.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:33 AM
spideyTT
Track Day

Hmmmm!!!!

Human nature will sometimes show its true face ...

I do recall having a few people I know that shied away after the Porsche TT showed up in my lineup.

I have worked hard for it and rather spend my $$ on cars vs sitting around admiring my bank balance every night ...........(in fact it motivates me even more to push the envelope)

The ones who make snide remarks are usually the bench warmers that fantasize about hitting the lottery and getting a Porsche one day instead of actaully working towards it....
Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Red Rocket
Instructor

If you really want to **** people off try parking in a handicapped zone with a Porsche...I get so many dirty looks or some will even say something like "that space is for handicapped only...until I get out of the car and have to walk with a cane (7 back surgeries) I can drive fine just can't walk very far with out a great deal of pain. they just huff off no "oh I'm sorry" like I'm lieing to them it's a pretent cane.
Don

Quick Reply: Jealousy