Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

How reliable is this product???? " POCKETPOWER PP100 OBD TUNING" System
http://www.milfordmicros.co.uk
The manual:http://www.milfordmicros.co.uk/upload/pdf/Manual.pdf

They claim up to 60 bhp without any need to take the car to a tuner???? Just plug it ??? !!!

Divi

Last edited by Divi996TT; 12-18-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking over the instructions, it looks similar to what I imagine tuners do. It reads the stock ECU for data, then you return the module to the company for programming instead of shipping off the ecu itself and losing a couple of days.

This part seems pretty neat, however its the programming that counts and I see no evidence that they have tried to do their homework on the TT.

Sounds too risky at this point.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:49 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

That device is sold under a few names (SRS, One-Click, Pockpower, etc,.) by a few companies worldwide (one of them being in the US). It's convenient in that it can read and save your original factory ECU ROM file as well as reflash your ECU with a performance ROM map. The user can also toggle back-and-forth between the two ROM files with each re-write taking 30 secs or so. Having your particular factory ROM file to fall back on saves any potential headaches in case you need to go back to stock at which point any and all previous rewriting is undetectable by the dealer.

If you wanted to you, you could have your tuner save your stock ecu rom file and upload two performance maps (pump gas and race gas, for instance). The most obvious advantage of this system is that you don't need to mail your ECU out to get reflashed, updated or reflashed back to stock. Instead, you do the reading/reflashing yourself at home by simply plugging it into your OBD-II port and pressing a button.

As always, the system is only as good as the quality of the mapping and the level of support you can expect from the dealer/importer. But it does deliver when properly tuned. For instance, using it, I recently tuned a bone stock '02 996tt and picked up 47whp and 105lb-ft of torque at 1bar of boost, on 91oct. This was done on a Dyno Dynamics AWD dyno which reads a bit lower than the other dynos around. I'm going do a 100oct map later in the week just for fun.

As far as the tuner goes, the actual custom dyno tuning process involves revising the maps on a laptop using ROM editing software, uploading the revised ROM file on to the user programmer (aka SRS, Pocketpower, One-Click, etc,.) with a separate programming bench and then using the user programm to program (and reprogram) the factory ECU through the OBD-II port. The process is repeated several times until the desired outcome is achieved. While this custom dyno tuning process takes a bit longer than uploading an off-the-shelf flash at a flash-loading station, the results can be quantifiably better.

Hope that helps...
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-18-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

While this custom dyno tuning process takes a bit longer than uploading an off-the-shelf flash at a flash-loading station, the results can be quantifiably better.
That seems a pretty strong statement Shiv, any documentation from 911's?

Is this system (by brand, not concept) new to Porsche and any long term experiences to report?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:12 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

That seems a pretty strong statement Shiv, any documentation from 911's?
In my experience, a custom map is always going to provide better results than a baseline, one-size-fits-all map. A good baseline maps is, by neccessity, detuned several % in order to satisfy the lowest common denominator across a sample pool of similar, but never identical cars operating under similar, but not identical constraints for customers who have similar (but not identical) preferences.

This untapped power may be in the order of 10-20whp when talking about a 300hp EVO. When talking about a 500hp 996tt, the number gets much bigger. Especially when one is faced with unavoidable constraints like available octane and car-to-car variance. For instance, the results I've seen by simply custom tuning a stock 996tt have been generally better than the other modifed 996tts I've tested over the years-- with most of them running full exhausts, upgraded bypass valves, cat-deletes, higher boost, etc,. This trend is not isolated to Porsches by any means and is pretty typical across the board. I rarely see a modified car- especially the extensively modifed ones- make the claimed power. Often, the missing power is attributed to testing conditions, poor dyno testing technique, driver error, etc,. But whatever the reason, a lot of interesting things are revealed when cutting right to the chase and seeing why any given car is (or isn't) making the kind of output it should be. And more often than not, it boils down to a mapping issue.

Is this system (by brand, not concept) new to Porsche and any long term experiences to report?
The first application of the product was for the new Mini Cooper, shortly after the release of that car. It then, under a number of names, spread out to VW, Audi and Porsche with a lot of research being recently poured into BMW and Mercedes gasoline applications. The hardware itself is very sound and compatible with any ME7 based ECU. The real limiting factor, as always, is the tuner's knowledge of the model-specific ROM file/map locations and what/how to change in order to get the desired outcome. The unit itself just as a useful tool for both the tuner and the end user. Fortunately, the system has the support of tuners like Jeff Everett and Scott Evered, both with extensive knowledge of ME7 and Porsche tuning.

Regards,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Geoff Everett who I believe is the actual developer is active on Rennlist using the name Red Rooster.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Thanks Shiv, interesting points.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Geoff Everett who I believe is the actual developer is active on Rennlist using the name Red Rooster.
I berlieve Scott and Geoff have worked together. But I've never been much of a history scholar.

shiv
Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Anybody with experience on this product? How much $?
I filled out the online form and - no reply!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 PM
billystang993
Advanced

ok,if my car has already modified from a performance tuner for 90HP gain, can i use the pocket power to download the settings from my car ECU and then send it to a friend with oem ECU to modified his?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

No, each ecu has its own coding for security purposes
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Got the following reply from them.
Sounds interesting, no price quoted, probably best to get some feedback from actual users first...

Hello, thanks for the enquiry about our PP100 for your 996 Twin Turbo. Many apologies for not replying sooner, but we are in the middle of moving our business to Canada (see address below). At present, PP100 is still manufactured in the UK and shipped worldwide to our distributors/fitting centres from there. I understand that one of our UK distributors has recruited a new fitting centre in California , Vishnu Performance Systems ,whose telephone number is (925) 648-7863 and e-mail address sales@vishnutuning.com. We are obviously working towards setting up a network of dealers in North America. An instruction document is downloadable from our website as a pdf file, and, we can always offer advice and support from Canada should you need it. The procedure for postal orders is as follows: 1. You receive the PP100 module in the post . Following the instructions, you plug it into your OBDII socket and take a copy of the standard performance map. This process takes about 5 minutes from start to finish. 2. You return the module to your dealer so that they can read the contents and download an appropriate performance map into it. They post the module back to you. 3. You plug the PP100 back into the OBDII socket and download the modified contents, which directly replace the standard contents. The module will now always contain the standard map in one half of its memory and the performance map in the other half, so you can swap from one to the other at any time. For example, when you need to take the car for a dealer service you could swap back to the standard map. Power gains on a twin turbo can be in the region of 60bhp and 120 lbs, with the extra benefits of improved throttle response, excellent low engine speed torque and a smoother much more powerful top end delivery. In other words, all the benefits of an expert re-chip, but with the bonus that you do not have to tamper with the ECU. More importantly, unlike other forms of diagnostic port tuning, you can revert back to standard leaving absolutely no fragments of code or other traces that would alert a dealership to your tuning activities. Should the dealer require support with the performance map we can offer modified maps that have been developed on an accurate chassis dyno by Geoff Everett, an electronics engineer with over 20 years' of Porsche tuning experience. It would be useful to know where you are based in the U.S, as we are currently in the process of trying to recruit dealerships in North America. As a Porsche owner you may be aware of good tuners that we can make contact with. Regards Jan Milford Microsystems Ltd
58 Maggies Landing
Boutiliers Point
Nova Scotia, B3Z 4L3, Canada Telephone (001) 902-826-2876
Fax: (001) 902-820-2390
Cellphone: 001-902-440-1304
Old 12-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Default Sounds Good

Vishnu:

Thanks for the info regarding "PocketPower". Seems that you are going to be one of the first tuners to offer this service in the USA.

WCE:
Great letter. I know that someone will have this installed in their 996tt and we will be able to get a better idea of the performance.

Divi

Last edited by Divi996TT; 12-20-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

What is the pricing? It needs to be less than $1,500 to take GIAC market share away
Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shark
What is the pricing? It needs to be less than $1,500 to take GIAC market share away
Doesn't a GIAC reflash cost $2000-3500?

-shiv

Quick Reply: PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??