Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is WinOLS and can be bought by anyone. I thought you said that you were using something that the masses didn't use?

FWIW this is not what we use. Some do use it like TechArt etc. Here is a picture of the software full blown on my laptop.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Garret=GOD

Stephen you can tune my Motec 930 anytime baby!

However if you don't start using Linux soon.....
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Less talk more tuning! I'd love to see or compare a car that actually has it. I think everyone probably would before taking a big risk on an unknown quantity. I've got a lot of Stage II, III, IV, GT640, GT700 and GT800 cars that would love to compare the pocket tuned stuff. I'd love to see how well it stacks up against it?

In the long-term offering software is only half of it- really. I mean tuning a K16 or K24 car is all well and good and been done for years now- so nothing new. I think the real trick to it is being able to offer an entire kit that has an exhaust, headers, an intake, different turbos, higher flow injectors (that idle and pass smog even at the GT640 and 700 levels) and so forth. Hopefully this is the direction that things are going... The fact that GIAC can tune for so many different variables and have (I don't even know how many but at least 400 plus 996/977s/Cayenne Turbos in the Bay Area this past year that I've flashed) so much success with said hardware and software combinations is a testament to them. I mean search high and low and I am 100% certaint that nobody has 'blown' their engine or had any issues. One thing that impresses me is that no matter what hardware we throw at these cars his software doesn't ping. I've only done one Bentley GT but the same for that. I commend Upsolute on what they did with the K16 and K24 programs but I think they ran into the same issue as others going any further than that... I liked what APR did early on with their "switching" routine but again they only have software for K16s and K24s period. There really only are a handful of options from Europe or in the US be it RuF, FVD, Cargraphic, GIAC/EVO to name but a few to get to bigger horsepower levels and then also include other "hardware".

If/when you get to going beyond a "canned" program for the K16/K24 cars with stock hardware and throw other hardware at it you'll likely run into the same issues that need to be ironed out. Can you run more than 1.3 bar without the throttle body closing for example? PSM/ABS lights that come on and so forth for "strange reasons". I'm sure it's going to be an interesting road ahead but at least the 997TT is coming soon and things will get even more complex

He also drives his own GIAC tuned 996TT every single day and keeps tabs on things that way. I think owning/driving that car really helps to have eked out all the kinks.

Last edited by sharkster; 12-30-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:28 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
This is WinOLS and can be bought by anyone. I thought you said that you were using something that the masses didn't use?
There is nothing special about the map editing software. I don't think I ever claimed that, did I? WinOLS is just a fancy version of Mighty Map as far as I'm concerned. Its just a tool that allows us, or anyone for that matter, to modify the ROM data files. The differences I was referring to had to do with having factory Damos files at our disposal which gives as much insight into the factory ECU code as we could possibly want. Not to mention direct support from people who have been remapping/tuning Porsches for 20 years. Maybe you have similar things on your side. I'm not saying you don't.

But I'd still like to know what is so tricky about remapping egas tables (as you mentioned earlier).

sharkster-- I'm glad you're happy with the products you offer. As well you should be. You have seen good results and people are happy. There's not much more than a vendor can ask for. But if you really want to have a head-to-head comparison between both programming options, we can certainly make something happen. Are you interested?

-shiv
Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu

But I'd still like to know what is so tricky about remapping egas tables (as you mentioned earlier).

I love helping out, but this where I have to stop on how and what is what in the way things are programmed. Hope you understand.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

I love helping out, but this where I have to stop on how and what is what in the way things are programmed. Hope you understand.
Stephen-- I'm really not trying to squeeze you for proprietary tuning information. I'm surprised it came across that way. Instead, I just wanted to understand why you stated that you were the only one to modify "those maps" since others didn't know how to "control" it. According to my resources (which include the factory Damos file) and first-hand experience in tuning egas, it's a simple 16x16 table (see screen shot of an actual throttle table) with RPM on one axis and throttle input on the other. Really easy to work with. Just like it is in Subarus, Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, BMWs, etc,. I was just surprised when you suggested that it is any more sophisticated/complicated than that. That's all.

In an effort to clarify exactly how we are going about remapping ECUs, here is the entire process described, step-by-step, with pictures and screen shots for my tuning laptop:

1) We edit the ROM file with WinOLS. It's a very useful and popular map editing software. It offers great flexibly and built-in convenience (ie, it reads damos files, automatically applies checksums, etc,.)

2) Next, we use proprietary programming device and related software to load the modified ROM file into one of the memory banks in the PocketPower device.

3) Using the programming software, we can upload/download ROM files onto/from the PocketPower device. To upload the modified program we edited in step 1, we simply go to "Write" and select "Modified File":

Then we select the file:

Then we wait a few seconds for the file to upload onto the PocketPower device:

4) Remove PocketPower device from programmer and plug into the OBD-II port on the car. Turn ignition Key on. Using the button the Pocket Power device, initiate the ECU flashing process. This takes less than a minute. When complete, the LED will be constant green. In the unlikely event of a programming error (battery dies or device gets unplugged during flashing process), the Error indicator will flash red. If this happens, just initiate the flashing process again.

Notes: The PocketPower device can hold 2 distinct maps. Each one based upon the exact ROM that comes standard with any particular vehicle. The standard ROM file is read by the PocketPower device the first time it is plugged into the customer car. This standard file is downloaded from the device (to any computer running Windows OS) using the programmer shown in Step 2.

The advantages of this approach is that we do no need to actually receive the customer's ECU in order to reprogram it. Instead, we can avoid all vehicle downtime by shipping the PocketProgrammer back and forth. The other advantage is that each of the two ROM files are based upon the standard ROM file. This eliminates all risks associated with assembling modified ROM files. All we need to do is cut and paste new fuel, timing, egas, boost, rev limit, etc,. into the standard ROM template. There is no jumbling around of the code data. It stays intact as the factory intended.

We are even considering the possibility of offering the programming device to customers (shipped along with the PocketPower device). This would even eliminate the need to ship the PocketPower device back and forth. Instead, the user would email us the standard ROM file and we would email back the appropriate modified ROM file(s). The user would use the programmer to upload the necessary maps into the PocketPower device. Easy stuff.

I hope that clears a few things up.

Regards,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-30-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Just like it is in Subarus, Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, BMWs, etc,. I was just surprised when you suggested that it is any more sophisticated/complicated than that. That's all.

In the case of the Egas don't think so one dimensionally. There are some areas specific to the 996TT as well as the 996 and GT3 that are much larger in result and map then just the single map. They are also not all setup the same or provide the same function if you will. At first it seems to be a rather simple map...
Old 12-30-2005, 09:51 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=shiv@vishnu
sharkster-- I'm glad you're happy with the products you offer. As well you should be. You have seen good results and people are happy. There's not much more than a vendor can ask for. But if you really want to have a head-to-head comparison between both programming options, we can certainly make something happen. Are you interested?

-shiv[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! It's be good to see... I think the regular stage 1-2's wouldn't be much of a comparo since they're just regular flashes vs flashes but on some of the bigger kits there should/could be bigger deltas. I go to the track regularily so that's always a good place to run. I'll wait until the product it ready/finished since it wouldn't be fair otherwise whilst you're still tinkering etc...

Last edited by sharkster; 12-30-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

In the case of the Egas don't think so one dimensionally. There are some areas specific to the 996TT as well as the 996 and GT3 that are much larger in result and map then just the single map. They are also not all setup the same or provide the same function if you will. At first it seems to be a rather simple map...

From you in another thread....
Look, I just want you to understand that while you sit on the other side of the pond behind the keyboard and gather information, what we do and how we do it is not necessary wrong because others don’t agree. There is more than one way to do things and that doesn’t mean that the result would be different. It just means that it is different.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I never said that what you were doing was wrong. I simply offered some friendly caution. I am much more direct than that. I also even offered to help with some of the dyno and cooling work. Knowing well you are a competitor
Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Kiko
Racer

slightly O/T but how does a tuner overcomes the Type 2 overrev flags with an increased rev limiter like FVD does even on their "level 1" kit? I can't stop thinking on the face of my local OPC Chief mechanic looking to the PST2 screen and see xxx number of Type 2 overrev!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

It would seem that if they are changing the overrev limiter in the maps. The ECU would not think an overrev occured (either 1 or 2) until the new rev limit was passed. I'm just guessing, I'm sure that Stephan will chime in...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It is a fail safe and can not be changed. We will not raise the limiter unless requested on the flash software. It is the one way they can tell regardless of map checksum.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Kiko
Racer

Just what I thought... Stephen Thank you once again for your input. By the way... I might have just sold my GHL exhaust which means the ECU will be flying over to you next day for an Euro-version re-flash!!! One more thing, has you know I got an Europipe b ut if later down the road I fit one of Kevin's Ported and coated headers does the LTFT compensates for the increased flow as it does with the exhaust?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes, the parameters set will work with the headers as the map slides down due to increased volecity.

You are very welcome.

Quick Reply: PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??